British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Been following it on the Brummies forum the past hour, its unconfirmed but track staff have been locked out of the stadium. Really hope it isn't true. :(

Club have got to come out with a statement whether its true or not.

Really hope this is not true, but would not be a surprise unfortunately. The only thing is why would track staff be there today as no meeting till next week.

It's always a worry when riders are said to be 'ill'. It's almost always a cover for something else, not being paid or in dispute for some reason.

• Like 1

Seems its true, absolutely gutted that its come to this :sad: . I pray that the club can be saved and we can continue with this season, alot of people fought hard for the sport to return to Birmingham, and it would heartbreaking if it was gone.

Whatever the reasons are for Alan Phillips "having enough", he should have the decency to give the fans an explanation on whats happening. Yet we are all hearing on internet forums and social media via Nigel Pearson, not acceptable imo.

BSPA Statement:

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.25792

• Like 4

It seems that Birminghams best hope is that Alan Phillips will reconsider Tony Mole's offer to run the club until the end of the season,However I can quite understand that Mr Phillips paid a large amount of money for the club and does not want to simply just hand it over for next to nothing.

It is well known that the club have been in trouble and time was running out with debts rising and crowds not turning up. As Charles Phillips has said previously is speedway in Birmingham viable ?

Don't think it will come to that. Have heard that Birmingham will be NL next year, doing a direct swap with Cradley. Pearson & Co will run the Heathens from Perry Barr, as they have a supporter base (even if they don't have a track) capable of sustaining a team in the EL, Alan Philips will have no choice but to sell his EL license at a fire salvage price in order to get some cash back, to make a fist of running in a league that he can afford.

Then Pearson will have his full revenge for getting dumped on by the Brummies management last year when he had to "resign" as press officer. Cradley elevated, probably with Hancock as #1, the Brummies humiliated and relegated to the lowest league. Pearson's revenge will be complete and it will be every Heathens fans dream come true.

You must be thrilled to bits.

• Like 9

Yes if the pedaler(or uk Martin) if you prefer could have got Andy Povey into the post I`m sure he would have.

I'm quite aware that a since-departed former promoter put about the story linking me with this Pedler, and those who wanted to believe it have done so, but if I've got something to say, I'll say it myself thank you.

• Like 1

Sad way for it to end, if we fold again I can't see the club coming back :sad:

Very sad news.

But lets face it if fans stay away because they don't like whats on offer then they can hardly complain if the club shuts down.

I feel sorry for the fans who support the club week in week out. They deserve better.

• Like 4

UNLESS financial guarantees are secured then I suspect they'll be no Speedway at Perry Bar anytime soon.

Can only imagine what Pearson's personal thoughts on the situation are.