British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

People in various posts have mentioned about the stadiums and lack of investments - stating that as a reason people wont attend speedway.

Why then, do these very same stadiums pack out for F1 stock cars?

It cant be the venue - its the product.......

I would take it back to 13 heats and a meaningful second half - giving local youngsters a chance to get on track

It would be nice to see other forms of racing in second halves - ie pit bikes - flat track - grasstrackers - sidecarsetc for variation but I know regulations will make this difficult as part of a SCB controlled meeting.

Back in the 60s,70s and maybe even 80s you could have done what you want - not anymore :-(

What you do is "close the meeting" at the end of the speedway match. The SCB referee's duties are over.

Control of what then happens falls to the promoting club. You can put on then what you wish.

• Like 1

how frustrating is it when there is an 'official practice' and there's nobody in the box telling us who is on track, even on some occasions when there are legitimate races from the tapes! we deserve more than a paltry 15 heats for gods sake...if there are riders wanting to race at least include us fans won't you!

• Like 1

People in various posts have mentioned about the stadiums and lack of investments - stating that as a reason people wont attend speedway.

Why then, do these very same stadiums pack out for F1 stock cars?

It cant be the venue - its the product.......

I would take it back to 13 heats and a meaningful second half - giving local youngsters a chance to get on track

It would be nice to see other forms of racing in second halves - ie pit bikes - flat track - grasstrackers - sidecarsetc for variation but I know regulations will make this difficult as part of a SCB controlled meeting.

Back in the 60s,70s and maybe even 80s you could have done what you want - not anymore :-(

Stock cars aren't on as often are they ?...if they were a regular weekly event I would doubt you would see packed out stadiums....as a randomly staged event they can attract more in.

They seem to put a big full page advert in the local paper round our way which would attract people in as the ad always looks very good...it even attracted me to take the kids once but I found it the most boring thing I've ever seen , and the kids weren't overly thrilled as well, so I don't think the stock car product is better than speedway's to be honest.

There's no accounting for taste anyway...in Australia the solos always struggled to get good crowds and people generally preferred the sprint cars and speed cars on the same bill.....and put a demolition derby on and the place would be packed to the rafters...God knows why !......speedway doesn't help itself but it has an image problem whereby other motor sports are somehow considered more glamourous for some reason...it needs promoting as an extreme sport, emphasise the danger and that will appeal more to the younger element....drop the family sport safe image..it's dull and boring.....

There's not that much wrong with speedway that decent track preparation, decent PA systems and decent music and a bit of promotion couldn't solve a bit...sort out the rules and the team formations and it has a future....maybe.

• Like 2