British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Leicester -v- Belle Vue Saturday 5 July 2014

How can you say there wasn't one genuine pass ?

Without even thinking you have got

Mads on Nicholls

Clegg on Greenwood

Buzz on Harris

You have always struck me as someone whole speaks sense most the time but when it comes to the track you exaggerate excessively.

Think he means after the first lap, they were all passes going into third bend first lap, after that it was strung out unless someone made a serious mistake.

• Like 1

Think he means after the first lap, they were all passes going into third bend first lap, after that it was strung out unless someone made a serious mistake.

That sounds like most other tracks. Not just a Leicester problem.

Think we need a proper definition of "A PASS" in Speedway......

Not sure that "a rider gaining a race position, by overtaking an under power rider, that is not making a mistake, and must not be on the first lap, and must involve 2 or more riders of completely equal ability, without a home advantage in favour of the rider completing the pass, providing the track is in perfect condition, and in no way influenced the rider/s being passed or making the pass.

That must be the modern day definition of an overtake in Speedway....

• Like 1

That sounds like most other tracks. Not just a Leicester problem.

The problem Leicester has that no other track i ever seen in my lifetime has is that it has only one racing line. You, Shalesearcher, Weatherwatcher, BTFC and TMW must be able to see that. It's not that hard to understand or see, surely. Because there is only one line the only pass you can make is by the riding in front messing up.. I don't think it's rocket science. To make out the there are genuine passes and then mention a non pass where a rider, although close, had the lead all the way down the back straight and and all around bend 3/4, or else mentioning a pass made between two Novices does not, i'm afraid, make a point valid. 4 riders entering the first bend at BP and finding position as the drag out onto the back straight is not what i or mostly everyone i've ever spoken to would call a genuine speedway pass. But there go, each to there own i guess.

• Like 2

I do understand your point, but the track is not the only one that is like that. I have watched loads on 365 this year, and most seem to be the same, so I am saying its not just a Leicester problem as many would have you believe. Would you not say that a rider putting pressure on the one in front, forcing him into a mistake, would not be a pass then?

I took a look on the bet365 thing last night, as Leicester and Belle Vue are two teams i have liked, in years gone past.

First of all, i am pleased Leicester now seem to have a decent team sorted out with the major weakness at reserve improved, and some riders who will do enough at home, anyway.

But i was distressed at how poor Belle Vue were. How did they perform so badly? There is some good talent in that side, but they seemed to give up very easily. It was sad to watch.

The Leicester track is extraodinary, in my opinion. I cannot recall ever having seen such lack of racing lines. There is only one. It looked as though riders have learned to not try sweeps around the outside on bends although two did attempt it, and finished on their backsides. Gate 4 is an utter graveyard unless a very fast (illegal!) start is made, and Gate 1 offers only limited opportunities. The race is over by bend 4 of lap 1, sometimes sooner.

Hang your heads in shame for creating this, when there was probably a blank canvas with which to work.

Other venues do not have this luxury and have to work within the constrictions of other sports taking place at the venue. But to deliberately create what is a dead duck of a track, is a criminal act. It has driven a large nail into the coffin, into which speedway in the UK is stepping. Shame on you.

• Like 6

I took a look on the bet365 thing last night, as Leicester and Belle Vue are two teams i have liked, in years gone past.

First of all, i am pleased Leicester now seem to have a decent team sorted out with the major weakness at reserve improved, and some riders who will do enough at home, anyway.

But i was distressed at how poor Belle Vue were. How did they perform so badly? There is some good talent in that side, but they seemed to give up very easily. It was sad to watch.

The Leicester track is extraodinary, in my opinion. I cannot recall ever having seen such lack of racing lines. There is only one. It looked as though riders have learned to not try sweeps around the outside on bends although two did attempt it, and finished on their backsides. Gate 4 is an utter graveyard unless a very fast (illegal!) start is made, and Gate 1 offers only limited opportunities. The race is over by bend 4 of lap 1, sometimes sooner.

Hang your heads in shame for creating this, when there was probably a blank canvas with which to work.

Other venues do not have this luxury and have to work within the constrictions of other sports taking place at the venue. But to deliberately create what is a dead duck of a track, is a criminal act. It has driven a large nail into the coffin, into which speedway in the UK is stepping. Shame on you.

Absolutely spot on!

The racing I have watched at Swindon and Coventry on Bet365 has been very adjacent to what we see at Leicester.. Strung out racing is a problem especially noticeable on the longer tracks... I have been watching Speedway for many years, including Blackbird Road days..

I have never said that bp is perfect, or is anywhere near as good as it could of been, however I also don't think it's as bad as some on here make out and if you keep saying something is bad, it will influence others to see it that way as well..... You know, reputations.

What can/could be done that would possibly improve the situation is not as clear-cut as most people think..

Anyone remember Brandon in the 70's, that had an awful reputational for processional, first from the gate, no passing racing..

Speedway in the UK has massive problems at the moment, people rave about Peterborough, "best track in the Country" "Loads of passing" "Exciting racing"

But only about 400-700 turn up to watch, so answer me this....

WHY?

• Like 1

Just to put you right on a point or two, yes a blank canvas, but not unlimited space as you think, 3 other sporting developments were ment to be built on the land at the same time as the speedway.

As for the gates at Leicester over the last 3 meetings, Gate 1 = 10 wins. Gate 2 = 9 wins. Gate 3 = 17 wins. Gate 4 = 9 wins.

As for driving a nail into the coffin of speedway, well I think many other clubs have done a far better job at doing that than the Lions!!

• Like 3

Speedway in the UK has massive problems at the moment, people rave about Peterborough, "best track in the Country" "Loads of passing" "Exciting racing"

WHY?

The population of Leicester is 330,000 and Peterborough's population is 186,000,roughly half of Leicester's so I'd say proportionally Peterborough's crowds are on par with what we get at BP.

The obvious fact is that speedway is in terminal decline and shameful tracks like Leicester do nothing to change that fact.

Edited by mrcts

Just to put you right on a point or two, yes a blank canvas, but not unlimited space as you think, 3 other sporting developments were ment to be built on the land at the same time as the speedway.

As for the gates at Leicester over the last 3 meetings, Gate 1 = 10 wins. Gate 2 = 9 wins. Gate 3 = 17 wins. Gate 4 = 9 wins.

As for driving a nail into the coffin of speedway, well I think many other clubs have done a far better job at doing that than the Lions!!

So as you said Not unlimited space, so why did he insist on making the straights so long ?

Didn't Nichols say afterwards about the track being very difficult to make a pass ?

So as you said Not unlimited space, so why did he insist on making the straights so long ?

Didn't Nichols say afterwards about the track being very difficult to make a pass ?

Hello stranger!! Not sure why I should reply to you? As you ran away last time!!

Why did he make the straights so long?? I have not got a clue !!!

Yes Nichols said it was difficult to pass on the track, but he did not say you can not pass on the track!! As you see, you can make an argument either way using his comments.

WHY?

The population of Leicester is 330,000 and Peterborough's population is 186,000,roughly half of Leicester's so I'd say proportionally Peterborough's crowds are on par with what we get at BP.

The obvious fact is that speedway is in terminal decline and shameful tracks like Leicester do nothing to change that fact.

I think this is a bit of a none argument, How big is Birmingham compared to Leicester?? Its all about the make up of an area, other options with regard to what you are exposed to as a young person growing up.

Moving away from the track issues, no-one has mentioned the great move Buzz made in heat 13 to let Doyley through on the inside and for the Lions to gain a 5-1 heat win.

I watched closley every lap of every race. The Lions only saved points in at least 4 heats by nothing other than fine old fashioned team riding. After the end of the third lap BV had then given up. There where 4 or 5 strung out races but not by that much. Other than the reseves races and the races when the reserves rode against the full team riders but you can't really expect anything else but they are slowly getting better as with all the EL team reserves and are now slowly closing those gaps down.

Bates ride against Cook was drawn out right until they crossed the line.

I have always said speedway is an art and that art is for 2 riders to ride together to try and stop the other team from getting past you not to keep the crowd nowadays who only are happy if they see lots of passes in a meeting.

Passing just makes you see how strong or week your own side is. The really strong sides are those that can keep the other sides behind them. In the end they give up and fall back because they know they have no chance to get by you.

Jason 7 Krystof really rode well together with Jason letting him take the lead while he covered the insde of the track.

The good old fashioned art of team riding is something that has been lost to modern speedway.

Moving away from the track issues, no-one has mentioned the great move Buzz made in heat 13 to let Doyley through on the inside and for the Lions to gain a 5-1 heat win.

[/quote

I agree with you, but not much point saying how good it was as the knockers will just claim it was an error by the BV rider.