British Speedway Forum
TMW

Leicester V Eastbourne 14 July

I found that there was plenty of action. Maybe you was just trying to see if you could get on the TV rather than watch what was actually going on on the track. First time I have ever been to get a coffee, before the start of heat 15, that I have been to find that there was only 3 people there. Noone wanted to leave thier places. And I can't remember so many people staying to see the team interview at the end of the meeting. So it looked to me that someone got thier £10 worth of action.

Last night saw some of the closest racing that you could have wished for. I for one enjoyed the meeting and I think so did many others there.

I watched it on TV lol - I saw every inch of 'action' and from every angle - far better than if I'd been there! I agree the score was close and it obviously appealed to the ppl there (good marketing ploy btw to give cheap admission). As for close racing? Nope - close score yes, but no 'racing ' after lap1 bend2 - just 'riding (very fast!)'. Having seen the 'action' there now i certainly won't be going there.

• Like 2

Rye House were one of the early visitors when the the track opened. I'm no expert, but I took one look at that track and said the bends were too tight for the long straights. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind.

As for last nights meeting it was pretty clear that the Sky presenting team were of the same opinion, but skirted around it. You can tell most of the riders don't like it.

No complaints about the stadium and the staff are very friendly, but Leicester could've been an ideal track to host major BSPA and FIM events, but that track and the awful parking facilities have put paid to that.

Such a shame

• Like 4

Thought Eastbourne could us R/R for Michelsen or can they not as they are already using R/R?

I though that as well, IRR should have been used imo

I quite enjoyed what I saw on the goggle box this morning. Well done to the Lions but the Eagles threw it away. Most of the passing was caused by an error or two.

Glad to see the riders that got a knock walked away.

Highlight for me was Chris's first interview with Norrie, he came across as a decent geyser who speaks his mind.

• Like 1

I watched last night's meeting on delay on purpose as I thought I'd be able to FFWD through most races after the first lap!

Turns out, I actually sat through pretty much the whole meeting. The changing momentum of both teams made for a close meeting, and the presentation/crowd seemed pretty good.

Still not a fan of the track, I've said it numerous times that IMO the only time a pass is made other than the first corner is when a rider makes a mistake.

Really pleased I recorded this, gave me the option to fast forward most of it.

One half decent race doesn't make a meeting and if the points weren't close even the last race where there was nearly a pass would have been a bore.

Junior

Highlight for me was Chris's first interview with Norrie, he came across as a decent geyser who speaks his mind.

He was gushing with praise for his riders.

• Like 1

You'll have a job to keep him as I believe he's being head hunted by the diplomatic corp. :nono:

Everything that is wrong with Leicester is the fault of a 16 year old and 17 year old. :mad:

Good for their confidence and a massive boost for team spirit. :shock:

• Like 3

Only could England have the opportunity to build a track from scratch and get it so badly wrong

Dont blame England for that abortion . The shape and the proliferation of the myth that it is the best racetrack in the country , is down to one man and it will not get changed however many people tell him it's wrong, because he fought for 28 years and raised the funds ,found the site ,got the planning permission , built the stadium , laid the track , he even cooks the hamburgers and empties the bins , without him there would be no leicester speedway today and without his ongoing benevolence it would not keep running ,

Speedway in this country is on it's knees, Here we have someone who has done wonderfully well to create a new track for the people of Leicester, and all we are getting is moaning and negative comments. I'm sure the people of Leicester are over the moon considering they have been without a track for 20 years.

Give the man a break. Sure there are a few teething problems, but its not the end of the world. I'm sure he is aware of the issues without everyone going on and on and on..

I believe he has done exceptionally well in what he has achieved so far, and what I watched last night wasn't that bad. I seen worse meetings then that from well established venues...

So rather then knock him down, give him some praise. The sport needs more people like David Helmsley......

are you serious ? nah you are having us on , you little devil !

• Like 1

It certainly is a " different" track to the norm. The racing wasnt great but found the whole meeting quite entertaining. Norrie is a Star, lets have more of him. Loved the guys honesty about moaning riders. I guess he was spoilt with Loram. As for the amount of crashes, it seemed like every other race, and yet the riders kept bouncing back up. Felt sorry for the likes of Mads and Buzz, true racers, and when they missed the gate despite all their efforts they struggled to get anywhere.

• Like 1

What is wrong with that young lad Josh Bates? Another Bridger/Kennett type? Stupid mistakes on track and then some crazy moves on the way to the pits and in the pits (like punching the wall). He needs to calm down, looked like a clown not like a British hope.

Edited by krompa
  • Like 2

Speedway in this country is on it's knees, Here we have someone who has done wonderfully well to create a new track for the people of Leicester, and all we are getting is moaning and negative comments. I'm sure the people of Leicester are over the moon considering they have been without a track for 20 years.

Give the man a break. Sure there are a few teething problems, but its not the end of the world. I'm sure he is aware of the issues without everyone going on and on and on..

I believe he has done exceptionally well in what he has achieved so far, and what I watched last night wasn't that bad. I seen worse meetings then that from well established venues...

So rather then knock him down, give him some praise. The sport needs more people like David Helmsley......

Teething problems?

He chose to build a track that is downright dangerous not only to the opposition but his own riders as well.

He has a manager who slagged off his own team on live TV and fans who create threads to disparage the track.

The only way anyone can pass is when someone in front loses control.

I have seen every size and shape of speedway track but this one is uninteresting as far as racing and bloody dangerous for the riders.

Why the hell did he choose to build the track in such a silly shape when he could easily have copied one of the better racing tracks.

Sounds like the criticisms he gets he deserves as he is the one responsible for the mess.

Sad really as for once we got a crowd and some noise at a live TV speedway meeting but sadly even free never mind 10 quid we did not get a scrap of speedway racing.

:sad:

• Like 4

Teething problems?

He chose to build a track that is downright dangerous not only to the opposition but his own riders as well.

He has a manager who slagged off his own team on live TV and fans who create threads to disparage the track.

The only way anyone can pass is when someone in front loses control.

I have seen every size and shape of speedway track but this one is uninteresting as far as racing and bloody dangerous for the riders.

Why the hell did he choose to build the track in such a silly shape when he could easily have copied one of the better racing tracks.

Sounds like the criticisms he gets he deserves as he is the one responsible for the mess.

Sad really as for once we got a crowd and some noise at a live TV speedway meeting but sadly even free never mind 10 quid we did not get a scrap of speedway racing.

:sad:

Well unlike you, I appreciated someone who has got off his arse to create a Speedway venue from nothing. The trouble with this world, especially this country, is there are always those too willing to rubbish them sort of people.

So what if the track is the wrong shape, So what if the corners are too sharp, all these things can be rectified when the funds are available, I'm sure he wants the track to be as good as possible.. Obviously the venue has been certified and considered safe to ride and no doubt has a certificate to prove this. A lot of the accidents last night were cased through bad riding, and not necessary down to the track. I didn't see many experienced riders fall, so it not that bad as you paint it. Exuberance of youth is not always beneficial.

David Helmsley deserves respect for what he has done, sadly I don't hold your comments in a similar light...

• Like 4