British Speedway Forum
SarahLapworth

The Future Of The Elite League

You only have to read the half-baked ramblings of some of the riders in the Spar to realise they'd be amongst the worst advisors. Supporters are generally not ideal either, and even if you could find some sensible ones, it's really the ex-supporters or potential supporter you need to be asking what it would take to get them to watch the sport.With respect to business and marketing experts, quite aside from the fact that those who're any good wouldn't really want to touch speedway and its demographic with a bargepole, I think speedway has a number of unique challenges that go even beyond other minority sports. You'd probably be better off bringing in an official who's been successful in other lesser sports, but ultimately I still think it needs to be someone with a deep understanding and love of speedway which is why it hasn't really happened before now.It possibly nearly happened with the characters involved in the SGP, but one was just looking for a vehicle to hang television and sponsorship contracts around and ultimately didn't really have sufficient backing, whilst the other seemed to be pursuing an egomaniacal dream that didn't really take a holistic view of the whole speedway business.

It could go along way if they the promoters listened to the public at times.The product generally is good , it always has been for me an outsider looking in would not work for me,as most other sports are not like speedway at all.It has to be a speedway man,E.Boocock,Pete Adams come to mind a couple of examples and there are others who could offer alot also.Get the rules sorted would be a start,scrap the tactical ride and get the EL and Premier league to work in tandem that would be a massive start. Edited by sidney

You only have to read the half-baked ramblings of some of the riders in the Spar to realise they'd be amongst the worst advisors. Supporters are generally not ideal either, and even if you could find some sensible ones, it's really the ex-supporters or potential supporter you need to be asking what it would take to get them to watch the sport.

You don't get that in the real world do you, it is a peculiarity to speedway. You don't get a good plumber invited onto the board of the company he works for just because he is a damn good central heating installer, asked for his opinion on policy etc.

Speedway riders are no more qualified to advise on the running of a club than anyone else yet you often get this kind of nonsense spouted.

• Like 2

There is no simple way to resolve speedway's current plight... but there are ways.

Everybody has different angles on them, but we, as fans, don't have the say to try to fix them. The promoters do.

So when they bleat on about 500 fans turning up for a match and the club losing thousands upon thousands every season, don't feel sorry for them. If it was you losing money, you would do something about it.

We as a sport, deserve the men that run it. What other person would be prepared to lose so much money, in the knowledge that they are simply throwing money away? A sound business man with some sense wouldn't do it.

Perhaps there aren't enough sound businessmen within the sport - the ones that are, with an inkling of brains, they are running the most successful clubs.. and crowds are healthy.

Be honest... are those in charge with bringing the sport to its current mess, ones we expect to pull it out of it?

For starters, any individual that is prepared to throw money down the pan,as our promoters do, shouldn't be allowed to own a shed.. never mind a speedway club.

Edited by moxey63

One thing I can not for the life of me understand is the fact that the EL lost it's major sponser this year in Sky Sports. So all the money they where plowing into the sport for the past 10 years was suddenly lost.

All the sport has from them now is the meetings they show on Sky.

What was done about it, and the BPSA knew ages before it happened, nothing, they have not even bothered this year to get any other lage company to step in as sponser. Why???

The sport must be doing really well, I don't think if they can run the whole of this season without a major sponser.

What do the BPSA actually do. Just sit around have a glass or two and talk a load of bull if you ask me.

We never here anything about what they are up to until the AGM every year. You would think that they would be more forthcoming.

We have heard very little about the training of our young riders. Or anything at all do do with the running of the sport. It is a bit like one of those gentlemans clubs, where anything that is said is kept behind locked doors.

I think they should be more open and issue a monthly bulietin. To let all the fans know what they actually do all year..

• Like 1

Yes, what has the sport done with all the lashings of SKY money? Imagine the depth of losses it would have accrued, if SKY hadn't been there. Bet you the Elite League would have been gone a long time ago, and promoters would have had to cut their cloth.

There has never been an abundance of forward thinking in speedway, which is why most clubs rent their venues and run the business from a tin container.

Some supporters do not like the true facts, when the perilous state of British speedway is the hot topic. They counter argue that, if we all stopped going, there'd be no speedway. Some use the names of tracks that have folded, merely as there reason for attending or against those that don't, as a conscience pricker.

Promoters have for a long while used these fans, knowing they attend out of habit... and to help keep the speedway alive.

Bosses would surely have seen the danger pit widening and, you'd like to think, would have addressed the problems a long time ago? Would they have tried to stop the rot? The SKY money perhaps gave them a cushion... a worry another day mentality.

Like tracks that aren't worked on from one week to the next.. it's a mindset of "everything will be ok on the day."

It could go along way if they the promoters listened to the public at times.The product generally is good , it always has been for me an outsider looking in would not work for me,as most other sports are not like speedway at all.It has to be a speedway man,E.Boocock,Pete Adams come to mind a couple of examples and there are others who could offer alot also.Get the rules sorted would be a start,scrap the tactical ride and get the EL and Premier league to work in tandem that would be a massive start.

The problem is like asking the question of whether you want lower taxes or better public services. The answer is normally both, but they're generally mutually exclusive.

As with speedway - the average fan will say they want to see the best riders in the world in British speedway, but only want to pay a tenner (or less) for it. You only have to read all the diverse opinions on the BSF to see the wildly differing opinions on the way forward, yet this group of people will generally already be those who'll go regardless, or who've lost interest and will never go anyway.

I do agree that some polling of likes and dislikes could help, but at the end of the day, I think it comes down to someone sitting down and working out what's the potential audience, what's an acceptable price point for that audience, and what sort of product can be offered at that price point. That ultimately will also determine some of the rules that need to be implemented to keep things competitive.

The improving of facilities and the other things that put sane people and sponsors off, can only really happen when the sport stabilises, but ultimately there does need to be a programme of trying to develop speedway-specific facilities to encourage longer-term investment.

Personally, I think the sport needs to pitch itself as cheap entertainment using lesser quality riders initially, but put in place a scheme to encourage tracks to develop their own riders and allow them to retain them to some extent. I think some sort of team equalisation is desirable, but there needs to be more continuity in teams in order for fans to build up some sort of rapport.

• Like 3

The problem is like asking the question of whether you want lower taxes or better public services. The answer is normally both, but they're generally mutually exclusive.As with speedway - the average fan will say they want to see the best riders in the world in British speedway, but only want to pay a tenner (or less) for it. You only have to read all the diverse opinions on the BSF to see the wildly differing opinions on the way forward, yet this group of people will generally already be those who'll go regardless, or who've lost interest and will never go anyway.I do agree that some polling of likes and dislikes could help, but at the end of the day, I think it comes down to someone sitting down and working out what's the potential audience, what's an acceptable price point for that audience, and what sort of product can be offered at that price point. That ultimately will also determine some of the rules that need to be implemented to keep things competitive.The improving of facilities and the other things that put sane people and sponsors off, can only really happen when the sport stabilises, but ultimately there does need to be a programme of trying to develop speedway-specific facilities to encourage longer-term investment.Personally, I think the sport needs to pitch itself as cheap entertainment using lesser quality riders initially, but put in place a scheme to encourage tracks to develop their own riders and allow them to retain them to some extent. I think some sort of team equalisation is desirable, but there needs to be more continuity in teams in order for fans to build up some sort of rapport.

I actually think on the real issues you will be surprised as people i speak do not disagree on every issue.If anything they are all quite similar,most want the sport to improve certainly people like myself who could not give a hoot who wins and who does not have a win at all costs mentality. Edited by sidney

I actually think on the real issues you will be surprised as people i speak do not disagree on every issue.If anything they are all quite similar,most want the sport to improve certainly people like myself who could not give a hoot who wins and who does not have a win at all costs mentality.

I don't really disagree, but there's a need to attract more than the existing fan base if the sport is to survive, let alone flourish. It's the fans that the sport doesn't have that need to be courted, because once you've become addicted to speedway you'll generally tolerate anything.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I don't really disagree, but there's a need to attract more than the existing fan base if the sport is to survive, let alone flourish. It's the fans that the sport doesn't have that need to be courted, because once you've become addicted to speedway you'll generally tolerate anything.

Admission cost though is relative. For a tenner i expect a tenners worth of entertainment. For £100 i expect to be entertained to that value. For me, and clearly nowadays, thousands of others that vfm threshold was long since tipped into the negative.

£20 isnt actually a fortune for a reasonable night out. I have paid a good few hundred for theatre tickets and the pre show meal and been more than happy with the vfm. I have been to speedway for £12 or £13 and felt cheated.

What should be worrying the promoters though is that when someone with a love of the sport doesnt want to go what chance of attracting new fans

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder if we take for granted what the riders are doing on track, they make it look easy, it's not, let alone the no brake, 500cc, 0-60 in 3 secs, personal injury factors!!

Edited by Trees

Sometimes I wonder if we take for granted what the riders are doing on track, they make it look easy, it's not, let alone the no brake, 500cc, 0-60 in 3 secs etc!!

And your point?

£20 isnt actually a fortune for a reasonable night out. I have paid a good few hundred for theatre tickets and the pre show meal and been more than happy with the vfm.

Yes, but would you spend £20-100 quid to watch speedway each week? It's of course, not just the price of admission either, but what you potentially spend on a programme, food and dreadful beer.

There's a whole number of factors why speedway has declined in popularity, but it's also clear that most of those can't be fixed in the short-term, which is why it likely has to be pushed as a very cheap form of entertainment.

And your point?

My point being that what the riders alone are doing is entertaining and vfm for many :-)

Personally, I think the sport needs to pitch itself as cheap entertainment using lesser quality riders initially, but put in place a scheme to encourage tracks to develop their own riders and allow them to retain them to some extent. I think some sort of team equalisation is desirable, but there needs to be more continuity in teams in order for fans to build up some sort of rapport.

Quite right. As for developing riders, see Richard Hollingsworth's report in the Scunthorpe Amateur Racing Facebook page. About the only people who do anything to develop new riders are Hollingsworth and the Silvers at Rye House.

I thought that was the whole idea of what they had set with with Phil Morris and crew. But we here nothing about what is being done.