British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

Are They Really Saving Money?

Is it any different than a self employed plumber/electrician etc. They quote to do a job, if they turn up on time with the relevant tools and do a quality job you use them again and recommend them to others. If they are unreliable and do a poor job you don't.

If a rider is on a guaranteed amount but turns up with poor equipment, isn't scoring the points expected and not giving 100%, you either don't use them next season or, negotiate a lesser fee commensurate with their performance.

It literally doesn't pay riders to deliberately under perform.

Is it any different than a self employed plumber/electrician etc. They quote to do a job, if they turn up on time with the relevant tools and do a quality job you use them again and recommend them to others. If they are unreliable and do a poor job you don't.

If a rider is on a guaranteed amount but turns up with poor equipment, isn't scoring the points expected and not giving 100%, you either don't use them next season or, negotiate a lesser fee commensurate with their performance.

It literally doesn't pay riders to deliberately under perform.

Unless their club has asked them to with the next season in mind, who knows eh ...

I like a lot of people can only guess at what it cost too run a speedway club.

But a couple of years ago a good friend within the speedway world said top clubs can,t afford too carry on like this

top riders won,t ride in England and it will become a semi pro/am sport.

FWIW i think he may be right

I think Iversen made a comment that he did his deal before the new race format was agreed and he would have done it differently if he had known the format

I don't think riders go out deliberately to score poorly and sometimes there is such a fine line between scoring well and not scoring well...it just happens, unless you are are superstar elite level rider...

I don't think many riders will have a guarantee no matter what they score..the odd one might..but I think most are dependant on scores so they will genuinely want to perform..sometimes it just doesn't happen....I know when my brother in law rode he scored everything from 0 to 15 over a season yet I can guarantee there was no different preparation or approach to any meeting , no matter what the outcome was

I know Michael puts in the same level of commitment and professionalism for every single meeting he has on his calendar; whether it be a GP meeting or a regular Elite League meeting.

I admire riders like him.