British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
markyb

General "elite" League Farce !

The danger with it being a rich man's hobby and a man expecting to lose money, is he can wake up one morning and think 'why am I doing this, the fans are on my back

In Phillips's case, it was the other way round.

For some, I would imagine, the costs can be absorbed as a trading loss with another of their enterprises

Just as the Brummies were being wound up, MiniMe opened a swanky new pub in Redditch. And he's driving around in a brand new 14 reg Merc. So much for the £400,000 loss then.

I also doubt that many if any have suffered any serious personal financial losses either,

I quite agree. See above.

Edited by Leicester Hunter
  • Like 1

Neil Watson doesn't put money into Speedway, but he probably puts a lot of unpaid hours in.

No idea about the money but I know for sure he puts a lot of unpaid hours in

No idea about the money but I know for sure he puts a lot of unpaid hours in

That's a huge problem with the sport in terms of finance - just about the only paid employees are the riders. There is such a reliance on goodwill, and there's no viable business case to run a "franchise", with most promotions existing on a week to week basis, relying on cash flow during the season - and not having to pay their "contracted" riders between November & (most of) March.

No fixture at Foxhall last Thursday - no PL opposition, but clearly no financial incentive to stage another event - even though it's the summer holidays.

Edited by Had Enough Too

That's a huge problem with the sport in terms of finance - just about the only paid employees are the riders. There is such a reliance on goodwill, and there's no viable business case to run a "franchise", with most promotions existing on a week to week basis, relying on cash flow during the season - and not having to pay their "contracted" riders between November & (most of) March.

No fixture at Foxhall last Thursday - no PL opposition, but clearly no financial incentive to stage another event - even though it's the summer holidays.

Maybe people should follow the Poole business plan!!?? :t::wink:

• Like 1

What's that?

Stick a track inside the town in a holiday area with very little alternative professional pay-to-watch sport?

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 1

Yeah right, Bend the rules at every opportunity, Stuff the sport, I'm alright Jack, attitude that would Kill the sport within 12 months....

• Like 3

Yeah right, Bend the rules at every opportunity, Stuff the sport, I'm alright Jack, attitude that would Kill the sport within 12 months....

Despite being financially solvent and increasing attendances wherever they go!!!! Shocking example for others to follow!!! :rofl::P

why do people bang on about how good a promoter ford is......

what happened to poole's national league team ?????

ford said it was not financially viable obviously he couldnt get enough fans through the turnstiles!!

ford said it was not financially viable obviously he couldnt get enough fans through the turnstiles!!

Exactly! Which is why a NL team wouldn't work in Poole. Fans have become used to expecting better quality.

hey everyone. I think i have the answer to turn this all around.

Everyone says they want entertainment and we need crowd levels up.

We want to see no more guest bookings and rider replacement.

But instead of taking things back to basics let go the full hog. Lets go down the rout of WWF.....sorry I mean WWE

Have everything scripted and staged.

bring in stunt riders to provide crashes every now and then. But have the racing planned in advance.

Just imagine, everyone could have their chance of winning. There would be no averages or anything just close and exciting racing at all tracks.

The top 9 or ten teams could go in the playoffs and the BSPA management.....no, Hollywood script writers could decide who wins. Maybe the team who was 8th or something wins the league because of a couple of bad ref decisions and the crowd could boo and shout at him and when the rider comes back on the track that should have been excluded, everyone boos at him, even though he was not at fault. Hang on a minute........

And yeh, when Lets say Poole win the league, Darcy Ward goes on the center green and takes the microphone and the crowds goes silent as he says.

"The title is ours, we are the mighty Poole and no-one will take it from us" but hang on who is this walking on the center green, its Nicki Pedersen. Everyone is booing and hissing and throwing tissues and burger wrappers on the track. Nicki takes the microphone and stares Darcy down and says "Yes, I am back. Eastbourne have signed me for next year, There will be a Pedersen at number one next year but he aint no ex Poole rider, Its me and I am gonna be meaner and harder than ever" He turns and spits on the grass and looks at the fans "Be very scared cos Eastbourne will be back next year and when we come to Poole we will take u down, he turns and shows Darcy his back. "get used to this darcy, you will see a lot of it next year"

The 3 Eastbourne fans between turns 1 and 3 are now jumping for joy, well two of them are because the other one hates Nicki P but the others are and so excited about next season...............................hang on, oh no, I am just dreaming, Well I would take anything over no speedway at all and it looks like thats what I will be getting. I'll take the farce any day

• Like 2

Exactly! Which is why a NL team wouldn't work in Poole. Fans have become used to expecting better quality.

Errr it's all about nurturing future British riders innit, maybe even local Poole boys!?

Tbf, a smart business man is willing to acknowledge when ventures aren't working and shutctgem down, rather than shovelling money into a loss making project.

Ford is a cheat, but not sure its valid to have a dig at his promoting skills.

According to Shovvy it was because they rode as Bournemouth so the local folk didn't realise they were Poole's 2nd team. :lol:

According to Shovvy it was because they rode as Bournemouth so the local folk didn't realise they were Poole's 2nd team. :lol:

Agree with that!! It was certainly part of the problem.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

They are very slow on the uptake down that way...