British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Radical Suggestion For The Elite League 2015

FANS aren't exactly getting value for money as it is. Could always add an additional heat. Don't see five riders per team as opposed to seven being less of attraction.

I agree. Cost would seem to be a main issue to spectators in this sport in this country.

I would like to see every club give fans a survey on what would keep then coming back. Maybe it has been done before by some clubs but not that I know off.

Thoughts

Let all the big boys go(its going to happen anyway sooner or later our league just cant afford them anymore and at the drop of a hat they will choose to ride for there other clubs over ours every time)What the sport needs is for the fans to have a team that they can support to know that all the team members (apart from injury etc)will be riding for them every match.Keep the riders that are good enougth and are willing to commit to our league ie proven track record over the last few seasons.Then the rest of the sides are made up from only the top say 40 Premier league riders.This way we will still have one league that can be classed stronger than the other.Now the hard bit for the good of British speedway the 2 leagues need to get there heads together and work out a way that the 2 leagues race on different nights.The new top league has to avoid racing on tue(poss.wed) and sunday.This idea would take some putting together but i cannot see any other way with the commitments and the money the top riders want these days most British league clubs just cant afford to pay one let alone two riders and the fans are getting very pi**ed off with all the matches most of them have to miss.If Sky dont like it then good they can sod of as well they are part of the problem of dwindling fans that way if people want to see league speedway they will have to come and watch it live.

Edited by B.V 72

the quality of the racing is the number 1 priority

not just signing the top stars , as the majority of the time the top stars just dont give good value when riding over here ,

they just dont risk it here like they do in poland /sweden

Edited by heathen chemistry

Apologies if anyone has suggested anything like this in the other 2015 topics-but I haven`t read all the pages.

My suggestion is use the Danish league format of 5 riders with rider grades instead of averages.

Here is their format

heat 1 1 2 v 1 2

heat 2 3 4 v 3 4

heat 3 2 5 v 2 5

heat 4 1 3 v 1 3

heat 5 2 4 v 2 4

heat 6 3 5 v 3 5

heat 7 1 4 v 1 4

heat 8 2 3 v 2 3

heat 9 4 5 v 4 5

heat 10 4 5 v 1 2

heat 11 1 2 v 4 5

heat 12 1 3 v 1 3

heat 13 nom

heat 14 nom

all riders are given a season grade-A,B,C,D

A is top riders

B are just below the top riders

C riders with experience

D young/U21 Brits

Teams would sign enough riders to cover all grades-there by using a Squad system.

team totals max is 24 min is 19

A = 8 (1 only per match

B = 6 (max 3 per match)

C = 3

D = 1(min1 compulsory)

For

2 less riders to pay for

No Guests or rider replacement

might suit the top boys

flexability in how teams can line-up(ie go with an A or go instead with 3 B`s)

Against

1 less race in the match

same riders to often in the match ?

I don`t profess to know all the rules in the Danish League-above is the gist of what happens-they I know do use a double point race option although I`m not sure if tac subs are allowed.

Could it work ? Wasn`t there an advert once that said " Graded riders make finer speedway " :wink:

Premier league riders would be graded to their ability and teams would just sign enough riders to cover all positions and eventualities.

SOUNDS like a plan ... radical maybe but what we have right now isn't working and people are deserting in droves.

I agree and I have never liked the averages, it forces successful teams to be broken up which is unfair if the team have nurtured those riders. What I would say though before we totally change the league formats, if it is to attract the 'big boys' I hope someone sounds out those 'big boys'. No point changing the league for them if they then don't come.

Edited by TheReturn