British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Eastbourne To Close Down

I do see the signs of mega-problems ahead. I worked in speedway through from late 1952 for the next 10 years. The years between 1955 and 1958 were especially critical but the the sport had visionaries like Ronnie Greene, Charles Ochiltree, Charlie Knott and Johnnie Hoskins to guide it through. Who are the men of that calibre these days?

I could not agree more. They were the saviours of British speedway. I can't even name anyone that could match them.

These days, unless you are viable to be able to race midweek, the EL is not the league for you. I don't think Eastbourne have the catchment area really for top flight speedway do they??

EL should include Dudley and Ipswich IMO.

Race once at home and once away to get a regular season winner, then split the league in two, top 5 race home and away for the Championship, bottom five do the same for the plate or something.

That gives you 13 home fixtures and competitive matches. You can have your number 1 as a job share and the bottom 3 positions (1 second string plus 2 reserves) in the team should all be UK riders as a minimum.

Edited by jimmy jimmy

These days, unless you are viable to be able to race midweek, the EL is not the league for you. I don't think Eastbourne have the catchment area really for top flight speedway do they??

Race once at home and once away to get a regular season winner, then split the league in two, top 5 race home and away for the Championship, bottom five do the same for the plate or something.

That gives you 13 home fixtures and competitive matches. You can have your number 1 as a job share and the bottom 3 positions (1 second string plus 2 reserves) in the team should all be UK riders as a minimum.

Firstly I hope that the Eagles can carry on in some form. A neat little track that I have enjoyed travelling to a number of times.

Secondly and the reason for selecting the quote - why woukd Ipswich want to join a league as you set out??

This year we have completed 14 league 4 League cup and our rounds of the KOC and had blank weeks where no opposition could be brought forward.

I certainly dont want to see my club reduce its fixture list by a third to suit propping up the league you propose.

When they showed the meeting on Sky Bob was saying he could not see himself keep going on with the club after this season due to health problems and that he was thinking of calling it a day and slowing down.

What a shame because the name Duggard it self is I lasrge mile stone in speedways history.

When they showed the meeting on Sky Bob was saying he could not see himself keep going on with the club after this season due to health problems and that he was thinking of calling it a day and slowing down.

What a shame because the name Duggard it self is I lasrge mile stone in speedways history.

All us old West Ham regulars remember Bob Dugard.

Firstly I hope that the Eagles can carry on in some form. A neat little track that I have enjoyed travelling to a number of times.

Secondly and the reason for selecting the quote - why woukd Ipswich want to join a league as you set out??

This year we have completed 14 league 4 League cup and our rounds of the KOC and had blank weeks where no opposition could be brought forward.

I certainly dont want to see my club reduce its fixture list by a third to suit propping up the league you propose.

Think Ipswich would be quite happy to see Lakeside joining the PL along with Birmingham, both of which must be on the cards surely

THE Dugards have been very loyal to speedway over many, many years. If, as rumoured, the Arlington site is worth several millions for housing development, no one can begrudge them taking the money.

• Like 1

Think Ipswich would be quite happy to see Lakeside joining the PL along with Birmingham, both of which must be on the cards surely

cant argue with the fact that some tracks closer to home would be desirable but not at the expense of a full fixture list. Personally I dont see a 9-12 home fixture season as right for my team.

cant argue with the fact that some tracks closer to home would be desirable but not at the expense of a full fixture list. Personally I dont see a 9-12 home fixture season as right for my team.

WHICH team is that?

I could not agree more. They were the saviours of British speedway. I can't even name anyone that could match them.

Different times now, they had relatively easy jobs, speedway was new and exciting and people couldn't get enough of it, when the crowds started going down they didn't hang about did they?

Sad to hear of Eastbourne's demise :( I hope the club doesn't close, but it doesn't sound good does it? Only made it down there for the first time in July this year! I suppose with Arlington being a little way out of Eastbourne, for those that can't drive or don't have their own car, I imagine getting to the track can't be straightforward...

But the population of Eastbourne is 100,000 and the population of Kings Lynn is 43,000 so that's not really this issue is it?. The catchment area of Eastbourne is certainly bigger than Kings Lynn

• Like 1

So would you welcome additional fixtures against Birmingham and Lakeside?

Id be happy with fixtures against both those clubs in a league with a suitable fixture list.

Think Ipswich would be quite happy to see Lakeside joining the PL along with Birmingham, both of which must be on the cards surely.

Terrible to hear of Eastbourne's potential demise. Are Lakeside dropping to PL?