British Speedway Forum
Steve0

Posf1 - Coventry Vs Swindon, Monday 29 September

If I recall correctly he pulled out of our meeting at Belle Vue to ride in a Swedish league match? So they gave him the boot and replaced him with Barker who did 3 rides then got injured leaving us only able to use PL guests as EL heat leaders.

For league match read play off meeting

• Like 1

Yes. He chose to ride in a re-arranged Sweden EL play-off meeting for his club of 3 seasons rather than ride at BV. We should have sucked it up and used a PL 3 pointer at BV. As it is, the team did so well we'd have still won there anyway.

Even use a guest and got him banned for 28 days. Used guests for the last month but at least he'd have been available for the play-offs. I know some will argue that nobody could forsee Barkers injury but you have to work out the risk, MJJ or Barker, what are the plus and minus points of both. Missing MJJ meant EL 6.5 guests, missing Barker means 5.9 PL guests. Barker there is between 3 and 8 points, MJJ there is between 5 and 12 points. Ok more chance of Ben being in the mood but an in the mood Barker is not that much better than a "meh" MJJ. MJJ tends to pick it up on the big occasions, maybe the EL play-offs would be a big occasion for him.

So why exactly did they let MJJ go as I was on holiday when it all happened? Did he miss a meeting so they got rid?

On Sept 1st Dackarna- his Swedish team rearranged a rained-off play-off fixture. He also had the Bees fixture at Belle Vue that same night. He chose to ride for Dackarna- he scored 13 points for them.

The Bees won easily without him. 56-36.

.http://www.speedwaygb.co/14results/belle_vue_01.09.14_res.pdf

http://ta.svemo.se/Public/Pages/Competition/DrivingSchedule/CompetitionHeatSchema.aspx?Branch=Speedway&Season=2014&Serie=Elitserien&Resultfilter=APPROVED&Columns=FromDateShort,Name,HeatSchema,HeatResult&pagesize=20&CompetitionId=4119

The dilemma of speedway riders who ride in more than one league. The Bees chose to get rid of him . The rest is history.

Regards. Alan.

Yes. He chose to ride in a re-arranged Sweden EL play-off meeting for his club of 3 seasons rather than ride at BV. We should have sucked it up and used a PL 3 pointer at BV. As it is, the team did so well we'd have still won there anyway.

Even use a guest and got him banned for 28 days. Used guests for the last month but at least he'd have been available for the play-offs. I know some will argue that nobody could forsee Barkers injury but you have to work out the risk, MJJ or Barker, what are the plus and minus points of both. Missing MJJ meant EL 6.5 guests, missing Barker means 5.9 PL guests. Barker there is between 3 and 8 points, MJJ there is between 5 and 12 points. Ok more chance of Ben being in the mood but an in the mood Barker is not that much better than a "meh" MJJ. MJJ tends to pick it up on the big occasions, maybe the EL play-offs would be a big occasion for him.

Spot on SCB, it is probably the most ridiculous sacking in Elite Lge history IMO...

• Like 2

Spot on SCB, it is probably the most ridiculous sacking in Elite Lge history IMO...

Very true. Up to that point we were favourites. Now we go into this meeting clear underdogs with only 2 heat leaders and Howarth returning too soon from injury.

Just hope bees put up a good fight as been brilliant to watch this year.

• Like 1

Its best to nip things in the bud before it escalates otherwise you end up with a WARD situation.

Been a while since I posted on the forum, waning interest in a sport where it feels like the sport's administrators seem hell bent on running it into the ground to "prolong" their own businesses in the short term.

For me, the issue of MJJ, illustrates the state of the sport in this country ...not sure we know the full facts of who said what to whom but that aside, the incident shows just how the sport in Britain now ranks way behind Poland and Sweden.

The rider had a choice to make, no doubt under pressure from his Swedish club, between his integrity and his ambition, the promoter a difficult choice to make between his integrity and his ambition for the club. Appears that the rider chose ambition over integrity, the promotion integrity over ambition. Would two votes for "ambition" have righted the wrong? Would certainly have kept the Bees in with a chance of the League Title in 2014 and the fans would no doubt have forgiven MJJ his "no-show" and simply moved on to support their club.

I do think it was a decision made in haste though, clearly no thought of the scenario which could develop in the event that Barker became injured, illustrating the absence of forethought or someone on the outside of the inner circle at the club that is trusted to ask the question "what if" ... an approach which has served previous promotions well in my view with the last great tactical move the club made in 2010 with the mid-season introduction of Bridger / Kasprzak / Pawlicki ... cue the winter of discontent.

As for the Play Off Semi, let's just hope for two entertaining meetings that are fairly fought to showcase how great this sport can be when the politics are removed and the riders are given the tools to ply their trade to the best of their abilities ...

ATB

BK

Edited by beesknees
  • Like 2

If the management had (sort of) said, "He's left us in a mess. We're more worried about integrity of our riders than winning" they may have had a point - a very naff one as it's a sport and it's all about winning but they could have taken the high ground. but they could hardly use that line could they as they signed Barker - the guy who at the start of 2013 left Coventry after signing to sign for Birmingham. So we swapped like-for-like in terms of attitude to the club.

I've long said, give me the 8 point, uncommited, only there 80% of the time rider over the fully committed there 100% of the time 6 point man - it's basically what we did with Shamek for 2 seeasons - and that worked well!

Edited by SCB

Thanks for the replies. Hard decision to make and it was unfortunate that Barker immediately got injured. Oh well, I will just have to sit back and enjoy the meeting tonight, although I have an idea I'm going to be disappointed in the results of both matches.

Would have MJJ rode on the Leicester meetings on the Sunday after a gp, I have my doubts. Must be more to it than just missing the BV meeting

Expecting a big Bees win tonight, at least 10 points and a noisy Bees crowd

think you may be right chris lets just hope they get lots of dirt on? so the Swindon riders will be slaging track off, and big mouth rossco playing up to sky as he always does ..........

• Like 1

Should they change the rules for next year to allow a team to be re-declared before the playoffs if a rider is injured?

Edited by Bees of 69

Or you could say MJJ is the most ridiculous SIGNING in EL history. :P

Never shown much interest in the EL.

(the post is tongue in cheek for those with a sense of humour by pass). :t:

Max Fricke apparently in for Barker on Monday and Robbo in the week after.

Not, Summers.