British Speedway Forum
Stats

Australian Gp Is Back

Costs for that meeting were astronomical ... hiring of the Olympic Stadium (as it was originally known), flying 20 riders plus equipment from Europe, hotels, etc, etc.

How is it any different now, except the promoters (assuming it's the Ethiad themselves) won't have the stadium costs>

I didn't realise until I got there that (like Wembley/London) the stadium was a long way out of town, it was an unseasonably cold night and the meeting was live on TV.

They manage to fill it for NRL matches during the winter, and nearly 90K made it for the NRL Grand Final last week (which was also live on TV), so it can't be the whole reason. If indeed the Sydney GP did pull 32K fans (although I seem to recall the figure reported at the time was 25K), then I'd have said that was pretty decent as I can't imagine there are many more speedway fans than that in the whole of Australia.

The sport has gone into even further decline since then, and Melbourne isn't a speedway city (or at least hasn't been for many years), although conversely flying around Australia is cheaper than it's every been and Melbourne is at least a destination. It will be interesting to see how Melbourne does, but more specifically how long it lasts...

Lander did a lot right but unfortunately rapidly fell out with John Postlethwaite and insead of being able to build on the first one, and perhaps take it to a smaller stadium in Sydney the following year, he pulled the plug.

Not sure why it wasn't staged in the (new) Sydney Showground next door in the first place. Interesting how both Lander and Buckley both ended-up falling out with BSI, albeit under different leaderships.

How is it any different now, except the promoters (assuming it's the Ethiad themselves) won't have the stadium costs>

IT is the Etihad themselves so that makes a massive difference and cost of transporting riders (15 not 20) and a deal with Etihad (the airline) helps significantly as well.

There were undoubtedly many potential punters in Sydney who might have gone but for the weather and the fact that it was on TV. But, of course, you will challenge that.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

They manage to fill it for NRL matches during the winter, and nearly 90K made it for the NRL Grand Final last week (which was also live on TV), so it can't be the whole reason. If indeed the Sydney GP did pull 32K fans (although I seem to recall the figure reported at the time was 25K), then I'd have said that was pretty decent as I can't imagine there are many more speedway fans than that in the whole of Australia.

The sport has gone into even further decline since then, and Melbourne isn't a speedway city (or at least hasn't been for many years), although conversely flying around Australia is cheaper than it's every been and Melbourne is at least a destination. It will be interesting to see how Melbourne does, but more specifically how long it lasts...

Not sure why it wasn't staged in the (new) Sydney Showground next door in the first place. Interesting how both Lander and Buckley both ended-up falling out with BSI, albeit under different leaderships.

Hello Hump, do you ever post anything positive about the sport ?

Just checking.

• Like 1

Hello Hump, do you ever post anything positive about the sport ?

Just checking.

Is there anything at the moment......................................................

Does anyone else?

Errrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No.

Does anyone else?

You answer a question with a negative question.

But yes they do. It can be improved but plenty enjoy the sport. Try it, you might enjoy it.

• Like 2

Try it, you might enjoy it.

I did once, and regularly went for 25-odd years. Like many before me though, I eventually tired of the farcical organisation and found better things to spend my time and money on.

I do occasionally go to the odd meeting - I might even have gone to Melbourne if I was in Australia this month.

• Like 1

DON'T think David Lander was in the business of giving too many tickets away. Costs for that meeting were astronomical ... hiring of the Olympic Stadium (as it was originally known), flying 20 riders plus equipment from Europe, hotels, etc, etc.

I didn't realise until I got there that (like Wembley/London) the stadium was a long way out of town, it was an unseasonably cold night and the meeting was live on TV.

Lander did a lot right but unfortunately rapidly fell out with John Postlethwaite and insead of being able to build on the first one, and perhaps take it to a smaller stadium in Sydney the following year, he pulled the plug.

Don't leave it there, why did he fall out with Postlethwaite?

JP massively raised the bar of the World Championship when he (BSI) bought the commercial rights. Sure, he wanted to make money and why not? But he was also prepared to spend considerable sums to improve the profile of the sport and always wanted things done to exacting standards.

He was also an enigma and could be tough on himself and those around him. I always told him that I would work with him but not for him.

Lander was also very strong willed and, of course, it was his money that was on the table and he lost a bundle. It is 13 years ago now so my recollection of some events has faded but JP and Lander just didn't hit it off, think John felt that going to what was Australia's biggest stadium from the outset was a mistake and might have been better to start with something a little smaller and build from there.

Although I wasn't party to what was going on between the two it was easy to sense that some things weren't right.

I certainly wouldn't fault Lander for the effort he made. The pre-meeting Press Conference, at which the riders were introduced to the media, was held at the Sydney Opera House. On the Friday night there was a dinner cruise round Sydney Harbour for riders, officials, media, etc. Everything was on a grand scale but, of course, also very costly and the return on the night simply didn't add up.

He was also an enigma and could be tough on himself and those around him.

Certainly an enigma in terms of starting businesses that don't work out, and I'd imagine it's tough on the investors in those.

Lander was also very strong willed and, of course, it was his money that was on the table and he lost a bundle. It is 13 years ago now so my recollection of some events has faded but JP and Lander just didn't hit it off, think John felt that going to what was Australia's biggest stadium from the outset was a mistake and might have been better to start with something a little smaller and build from there.

Whilst Stadium Australia was undoubtedly too big, it was at the time a white elephant looking for a purpose, so maybe it was as cheap to hire as a smaller venue.

I seem to remember it being reported from Down Under at the time that Lander was unhappy about being charged for things that he shouldn't have been charged for, amongst other things.

One thing I will say for JP, when there was the cock up in Gothenburg, he faced the media, you could see him was FUMING. Bellamy was the worst ever when things went wrong, just literally pretended they didnt happen.

• Like 1

If Cardiff was the last GP of the season, and the World Champ had been effectively crowned at the GP before - would I still go??

Of course I would.

And I would expect the newly crowned world champ to put on a good display 1) because he wants to assert his authority as world champ 2) because he would be so relaxed that it would probably bring the best out of him.

Thats why I think this GP for us down here has a bit of a cool factor to it.

Sure the standings are mostly set. Apart from Nicki and Greg vying for runner up spot, there's needle in this duo alone. Tai being crowned in Poland, and his obvious connection with Australia, he'll want to put in a good display. No question he wants to win this. Which in turn creates competition with the likes of Holder and Doyle, if they're engines and set up suit the conditions in the hunt. Will the roof be open if Melbourne soaks in sun all day like we've had this week so far?

I think for those who are attending, whether from down under or from Europe, can't wait to see a stadium like the Etihad, who host AFL games during the season be transformed into a Speedway Arena. I have the same goosebumps now, like the time leading up to the first Cardiff I went to in 2001 for 10 consecutive trips until moving overseas. I've been crying out for a GP in Melbourne in this sporting city and regardless if fans think it's a damp squid in essence, I think there is a showcase to be performed by the riders to win this GP

• Like 1

Bruv was saying around 40000 attended the Sydney GP with just under 20000 paying punters. Hopefully will be a bigger turnout in Melbourne.

Bruv was saying around 40000 attended the Sydney GP with just under 20000 paying punters. Hopefully will be a bigger turnout in Melbourne.

A bigger paying attendance certainly.

That's a huge number of freebies if the numbers are anywhere near accurate, though pretty sure attendance has been estimated at closer to 32k earlier on this thread