British Speedway Forum
magnus

Bspa Meeting...

How about a couple of Supporters who have stopped going. That would be more effective.

Ooops - I'd forgotten - they couldn't give a hoot as to why people have stopped going. They are just NOT interested. :sad:

From watching the play offs this week and seeing the healthy attendances at both meetings, the BSPA are unlikely to adopt your suggestion of 'scrapping the play offs altogether'

• Like 1

The promoters only have to look at the Polish model to see what they need to do to get young people to speedway and it ain't all about the racing ....... do they ever consider promotion of the sport at their meetings? Perhaps they all think they have it right? Wrong!!

• Like 1

Well its their business,s that stand to go down the pan and with the gaps on the terraces becoming more and more each season surely even the goons at the BSPA can see the need for a radical change to breathe life back into the misnamed EL? If not the sport at the top level is finished.

And your radical change would be ?

The promoters only have to look at the Polish model to see what they need to do to get young people to speedway and it ain't all about the racing ....... do they ever consider promotion of the sport at their meetings? Perhaps they all think they have it right? Wrong!!

dont be fooled into thinking all is rosey in polish speedway because it isnt. Apart from the final crowds were well down to what they should of been. It is still far healthier than british speedway but to quote a high ranking pole "polish speedway is finished". by that i think he meant the bubble has well an truly burst but if polish speedway is finished what does that say about british speedway
  • Like 1

Sounds like what happened over here in the 60s when tracks like Norwich were shut down and sold off cos crowds went down from 20000 to 10000 or whatever it was!!

It is still far healthier than british speedway but to quote a high ranking pole "polish speedway is finished". by that i think he meant the bubble has well an truly burst but if polish speedway is finished what does that say about british speedway

Only healthier if their costs are comparable with British speedway. Given what some teams are reputed to pay, even much larger crowds than what we get in Britain are not going to be sufficient to pay the bills, unless substantial sponsorship is forthcoming a well.

It been apparent to me for some time though, that speedway around the world can't seem to dig itself out of an association with a specific social strata, and this is a barrier to leveraging big sponsorship and corporate entertainment which is needed to survive in the modern world.

• Like 4

2 clubs in the Polish top division have been denied a licence for next year and have been relegated 2 divisions for being nothing short of bankrupt. Although crowds are better in Poland don't believe all is well in Polish speedway.

Edited by New Science
  • Like 1

Poland's a different country, a different culture - the Polish model might not work here - clubs don't own their own stadiums in the middle of cities for one thing - they probably don't have the Nimbys we have

I'd rather it died than turned into some kind of WWE freakshow for der kidz

• Like 3

Well the first they need to do is increase the 32 point limit as we are going to find more riders out of work. My reason is backed up more by the fact unlike previous years we only had 1 rider finish with a 4-5 average 4.66 for Lasse. The rest are all 5+. To weaken this now would another nail in the coffin, we have 2 less teams and 14 more riders to choose from.

• Like 1

Well the first they need to do is increase the 32 point limit as we are going to find more riders out of work. My reason is backed up more by the fact unlike previous years we only had 1 rider finish with a 4-5 average 4.66 for Lasse. The rest are all 5+. To weaken this now would another nail in the coffin, we have 2 less teams and 14 more riders to choose from.

So we only have one sub 5 pointer. How many 9+ men do we have? Zero. 32 plus the 8 the reserves are guarantee to average is 40. We're not a million miles from the break even figure tbf. The league has already lost Kildemand to and possibly Ward is he's banned so 32 may be enough.

Edited by SCB

Poland's a different country, a different culture - the Polish model might not work here - clubs don't own their own stadiums in the middle of cities for one thing - they probably don't have the Nimbys we have

Without intending to be offensive, you sir are one of the primary problems the sport faces. It might need to die.. along with fans with this attitude, then start again almost from scratch with a fresh, vibrant fan base.

• Like 3

I don't mean who owns the clubs etc, I mean more the presentation, the interaction, getting the fans going, the drums, the chants, make it a fun night out regardless. For all this the promoters will have to really put some time and effort in and perhaps look outside the box. We need to get people talking about speedway, about the good night out. The mic men will have to put some thought into what they are saying, understand the fans mentality and the music that is played is vital. The riders will have to connect with the crowd, not just a half arsed wave after a race, they need to think club, think fans, think future of their sport/their jobs.

I know we aren't Polish but you only have look at our football crowds to hear how passionate we are about our clubs.

Have to try something ............

• Like 6

Until the sport is run by a totally independent governing body it will die a slow lingering decline, no question. Will it ever happen no. Until the sport dies back to grass root level and re-invents itself we will all have to endure infighting and financial suicide. Our only answer is to vote with our feet until the message hits home where it hurts in the pocket.

They should all sit in a room and drink a Jager shot every time someone says Poole.

Then after a few hours each member should come up with an idea.

They should then vote on which idea to adopt whilst still drunk. and resolve to adopt that idea once they sober up.

Who knows they might just come up with something to save the sport as doing this sober has not worked out that well now has it?

The beckham kid wants a motorbike. Why dosent the bspa invite him along to a ride and skid day. Maybe just maybe he will see how brilliant riding a speedway bike is and fancy a proper go at the sport. At worst speedway gets some good short term publicity at best it gets a marketing mans dream

• Like 7