British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry 2015

CLUB STATEMENT - VISAS

Monday January 26, 2015

COVENTRY Speedway can confirm they expect the 2015 season to commence on-schedule despite concerns over availability of non-EU riders.

A meeting between clubs and UK Visas and Immigration last week raised administrative issues, and there is now a race against time for the affected riders to be available in time for the start of the campaign.

The UKVI are set to hold an operational workshop for club officials to assist them in a complex process to enable the riders to receive new visas.

The Buildbase Bees are one of the affected clubs as they have named former Eastbourne rider Cameron Woodward, an Australian, as a signing for their Elite League team this year.

But Coventry’s position is that the Elite League fixture schedule should not be altered regardless of the time taken for the visa issue to be resolved, and nor should clubs not employing affected riders be forced into alterations due to late rule changes.

Bees race their first match of the season at Leicester in the East Midlands Bowl on Sunday March 15, and their Elite League opener is against Wolverhampton at Brandon on Friday March 27.

Promoter Mick Horton said: “We are in full support of the efforts that are being made to resolve the issue, and we sincerely hope that all of the riders involved receive their visas and are able to be here in time.

“However, as a club we want to make it clear that we will be racing no matter what, and we also have to be realistic about the situation.

“Unless we get assurances shortly regarding the time-scale of the visa issue, then we accept the fact that we may need to have a re-think on our team plans, and we have spoken to Cameron about this, especially in view of our busy schedule in the opening weeks.

“I do not believe the start of the season should be put back, and I do not believe clubs such as Lakeside and King’s Lynn, who are not directly involved in this problem, should be given a problem and have to make changes themselves.

“There’s no way I want the season to be disrupted, and our position is that we will be at the tapes for our opening matches whether or not the Australian riders are here, so if we need to find a replacement we will do so.

“We would also be in support of clubs receiving a facility of guests or rider-replacement if needed at the start of the season, especially as it is unclear exactly when the matter will be resolved.”

So in other words " Up Yours Poole" :D

• Like 8

CLUB STATEMENT - VISAS

Monday January 26, 2015

COVENTRY Speedway can confirm they expect the 2015 season to commence on-schedule despite concerns over availability of non-EU riders.

A meeting between clubs and UK Visas and Immigration last week raised administrative issues, and there is now a race against time for the affected riders to be available in time for the start of the campaign.

The UKVI are set to hold an operational workshop for club officials to assist them in a complex process to enable the riders to receive new visas.

The Buildbase Bees are one of the affected clubs as they have named former Eastbourne rider Cameron Woodward, an Australian, as a signing for their Elite League team this year.

But Coventrys position is that the Elite League fixture schedule should not be altered regardless of the time taken for the visa issue to be resolved, and nor should clubs not employing affected riders be forced into alterations due to late rule changes.

Bees race their first match of the season at Leicester in the East Midlands Bowl on Sunday March 15, and their Elite League opener is against Wolverhampton at Brandon on Friday March 27.

Promoter Mick Horton said: We are in full support of the efforts that are being made to resolve the issue, and we sincerely hope that all of the riders involved receive their visas and are able to be here in time.

However, as a club we want to make it clear that we will be racing no matter what, and we also have to be realistic about the situation.

Unless we get assurances shortly regarding the time-scale of the visa issue, then we accept the fact that we may need to have a re-think on our team plans, and we have spoken to Cameron about this, especially in view of our busy schedule in the opening weeks.

I do not believe the start of the season should be put back, and I do not believe clubs such as Lakeside and Kings Lynn, who are not directly involved in this problem, should be given a problem and have to make changes themselves.

Theres no way I want the season to be disrupted, and our position is that we will be at the tapes for our opening matches whether or not the Australian riders are here, so if we need to find a replacement we will do so.

We would also be in support of clubs receiving a facility of guests or rider-replacement if needed at the start of the season, especially as it is unclear exactly when the matter will be resolved.

Pretty much spot on from Mick.

• Like 1

Well done to Mick Horton for standing up to the Bully boys, am not going to name them but everybody knows who they are....

Edited by dornier
  • Like 5

“We would also be in support of clubs receiving a facility of guests or rider-replacement if needed at the start of the season, especially as it is unclear exactly when the matter will be resolved.”

Good statment until that line.

If you can't get the riders then tough $hit. Use a 3 point junior as the rules state! Or what is the stop Swindon "signing" one of the Lagutas knowing they won't get a work permit and then having a guest for an 8.00 rider all season?

If you can't get the riders then tough $hit. Use a 3 point junior as the rules state! Or what is the stop Swindon "signing" one of the Lagutas knowing they won't get a work permit and then having a guest for an 8.00 rider all season?

That is a good point. Who will they guest for as they are not officially signed? Clubs have a choice either risk waiting for an Aussie and maybe having to use a 3pt rider early on or just sign someone else.

Also reading the statement it sounds to me like Horton has a rider as back up in case Woodward visa is late.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

I think that's a bit harsh. No-one wants to see one sided meetings using 3 point riders in place of heat leaders.

• Like 1

I think that's a bit harsh. No-one wants to see one sided meetings using 3 point riders in place of heat leaders.

Its a clubs choice though. If they choose that route it's on them.

• Like 1

That is a good point. Who will they guest for as they are not officially signed? Clubs have a choice either risk waiting for an Aussie and maybe having to use a 3pt rider early on or just sign someone else.

Theres enough EU riders (or those who don't need permits) out there. Pawlicki, Milik, Kylmakorpi, Korneliussen, Hougaard and Wells (has residency now) as a starting point. And possibly the likes of Ulamek, Walasek, Swiderski, Davidsson (Jonas), Davidsson (Daniel), Nieminen, Dryml....

edit > Barker, Worrall and Allen too

Edited by SCB

Theres enough EU riders (or those who don't need permits) out there. Pawlicki, Milik, Kylmakorpi, Korneliussen, Hougaard and Wells (has residency now) as a starting point. And possibly the likes of Ulamek, Walasek, Swiderski, Davidsson (Jonas), Davidsson (Daniel), Nieminen, Dryml....

edit > Barker, Worrall and Allen too

Fair point Shawn, providing those riders are willing to ride over here.

• Like 1

Fair point Shawn, providing those riders are willing to ride over here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's ideal - certainly not to be replacing the likes of Holder, Batch and Doyle. But for your Frickes and Woodwards are replaceable - at leats in the short term.

And it certainly better than guests. People generally hate guests - and it's an even bigger joke to have a guest for a rider who has not raced for you (the rules know this so don't actually allow it!).

You may even find that Woffy might be willing to do 4 weeks at the start of the year if needed, same with KK, Hampel, Magic, mini-Pawlicki, Nicki, Smoli etc are replacements for Batch, Doyle and Holder

That's part of the problem. You shouldn't apply for a 2/3 yr visa unless you have a 2/3 yr contract with your employer. Speedway in this country only offers 1 yr contracts.

Not a problem, the riders are permanent assets of their clubs, so where is the problem?

You can just imagine the conversation with V&I

"You can't apply for Visa's longer than the contract offered"

"It's ok, we operate the asset system"

"What's that then"

"Basically after a few meetings a rider becomes our asset for their career or until we sell them"

"Oh I see, it's a contract really, you just call it as asset, a tradition of the sport I assume"

"That's right"

"A long term commitment then. With some of the other sports I deal with, they don't offer anything like that level of certainty to their employees. It must be expensive"

"Not really. Most of our assets never ride for us. Some rode for me one year and haven't returned for 10 years. Great thing is, if one of our opponents sign him, we get a loan fee. And it gets even better, there's no cost to sign the asset, and no ongoing costs if he's not in our team. I'm a successful businessman you know"

"Hold on there. Your telling me you own riders and make money from them without paying them an ongoing wage? Does that include Australians?"

"Why yes, they are great as they are so committed to the UK. I can sign lots, more than I can include in my team. Then when other teams want them, I just charge them. Made loads of money that way; and nobody can stop me !!!"

"Want to bet, your little cartel stops NOW. Can I have details of your other businesses too"

• Like 8

Authorities are looking into these visa issues and seeing that this sport is run under their own rules totally different to rules set by to protect employees and used in every business world wide and it must seem bizarre to them.

A rider is an asset of a club but if he doesn't ride for you, you don't pay them. Speedway reply that they don't OWN the rider they simply hold his registration to ride in this country. Then when you explain these riders can ride for different teams in Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Czech Republic, Germany, Russia etc and a rider has his registration held by a club in each of those countries.

So they are self employed !!

In theory yes, but we still charge other tracks to use them as we have their registration.

But if you hold their registration then you are the employer and therefore can employ them when you want in a deal that could be every year for the foreseeable future and therefore a long term agreement in a contract.

Yes ..... er No ....... er Well sort of but it's how we do things to get an income

Well that is about to stop because if they are self employed they can go freely to where they want once a contract has expired .... ie each season

On the team front, if Bees can get Shamek Pawlicki in to replace Woodward I would think that would improve the team having four riders that can be good heat leaders but if Poole want him, Kylmakorpi would be a good signing for them.

Edited by T.N.T.

Been told that Woodward is having another op on his injury so won't start the season. Been reported in Poland apparently and his team Daugavpils are searching for a replacement.

Been told that Woodward is having another op on his injury so won't start the season. Been reported in Poland apparently and his team Daugavpils are searching for a replacement.

Maybe that explains the Coventry statement on the visa issue or am I just being cynical.😂

Whatever the reasons I think what Mick Horton has said is right.

Edited by Aces51