British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAudi

Edinburgh 2015.

Going by recent events in both Sweden & Poland the demand for UK riders is diminishing.

In Sweden, one top tier team has already dropped out and in Poland, Troy Batchelor's 2014 side are not re-signing him for next season.

One of the few (if not the only one) Brits expected to be riding in the top tier in both Poland & Sweden is Woffinden, and he is making noises about ditching his Elite League commitments.

You only have to look at Lewis Bridger who has ridden exclusively in the EL and dabbled in Poland, as an example of someone whose career has not prospered along this path, to the extent that he is now taking at least a year out from Speedway.

At the end of the day if there are no berths available on mainland Europe, Craig would be wise to continue with his dual PL/EL schedule which will no doubt disappoint those who hoped he would not be inflicting further punishment on the rest of the PL in 2015 ;)

Typical Brit. Think outside the box for a minute. Craig Cook would be noticed more if he succeeds in Sweden, Poland etc, possibly attracting bigger and better sponsors. This equals more cash.

That is probably correct, but that is making the assumption that Cook has a brain to work that out, which I think is something he unfortunately lacks.

He'd have been a runner up if somerset had not been stopped from signing Jason doyle.

who stopped him from riding for somerset ?

Edited by yoda

That is probably correct, but that is making the assumption that Cook has a brain to work that out, which I think is something he unfortunately lacks.

And you'd say that to his face would you? Still the jealousy is evident that Craig became the best rider in the PL for Edinburgh and not Workington... Get over it...

As for having a brain...? Which speedway rider does??!!!! These guys get on bikes with no brakes and race within cm's of each other at 70mph!!!!!

Edited by Nutz

cant see how its anti cook myself.

Cook is happy to be a big fish in a small pond. thats his choice and if i was a Monarchs fan i would love him to ride for us every week.

I do feel however that he has reached his level now though. Next year needs to be a big year for him or he will just be remembered as a good lower tier rider.

I love the fact that some people say 'he has only been riding a few years and look where he is already'

That has nothing to do at all with where his ability is.

Its totally irrelevent how many years he has ridden as at some point his ability will stop. Wether that is now as a top premier rider, wether that is 2 years time as a GP regular , wether that is 5 years time as a world champion. Just because he hasnt benn riding as long as say Doyle doesnt mean he will eventually be better than him.

My opinion is that in 2 years time he will still be a premier league number 1, a second / third heat leader at elite level, and nowhere near being a GP rider.

Nothing Craig Cook has done this season leads me to believe he is still improving.

Nobody is saying that Cook will end up being better than Doyle.He may he may not no one knows. The point is that Doyle developed in his own time he took 8 years riding in the British leagues before he became an Elite league heat leader and in this time fans were not on his back saying in my opinion all he will be is just a good Premier league number 1, he will never be more than an Elite league 2nd/3rd heatleader,nowhere near a G P rider etc.If it was not for the visa problems Doyle would have rode in the Premier league this year nobody said he has no ambition.

People say that Cook is happy to be a big fish in a small pond and has no ambition as he is not riding in Europe.He might be trying his heart out to get a team place and cant.None of us really know the facts so how can anyone say he does not ?.Any rider would stay and earn in the Premier league if they cant get a team place elsewhere.

Cookies main problem is that he is English and every one wants him to be or thinks he should be a world beater overnight.So treat him like Doyle and all other none English riders let him develop into whatever he may be in his own time and get off his back.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 2

And you'd say that to his face would you? Still the jealousy is evident that Craig became the best rider in the PL for Edinburgh and not Workington... Get over it...

As for having a brain...? Which speedway rider does??!!!! These guys get on bikes with no brakes and race within cm's of each other at 70mph!!!!!

Pretty sure Emaili isn't a Worky fan

Edited by DynamoDave

craig was mo 1 at workington and edinburgh, . whats all the fuss about on here.

Pretty sure he isn't a Worky fan...

wrong...

In Sweden, one top tier team has already dropped out and in Poland, Troy Batchelor's 2014 side are not re-signing him for next season.

Troy not being re-signed in Poland is more down to him having had a crap season than any bad goings on in Poland. There are many far better examples to give.

But still, if you think riding PL will make Craig a better rider than Troy Batchelor staying at the same club two years running, by all means think that. It's barmy logic that I doubt anyone else will agree with though.

Troy not being re-signed in Poland is more down to him having had a crap season than any bad goings on in Poland. There are many far better examples to give.

But still, if you think riding PL will make Craig a better rider than Troy Batchelor staying at the same club two years running, by all means think that. It's barmy logic that I doubt anyone else will agree with though.

I think everyone would agree that Cook needs to be riding abroad on a consistent basis if he is to progress but he can only do that if a team abroad will give him a chance - and by that I mean a proper contract. There have been lots of examples of Brits getting deals abroad but hardly riding at all. Look at Richie Worrall last year, I think he only did one meeting.

While that continues nobody can blame them for continuing to ride PL - they have to earn as much as they can. At the end of the day it's their job. Maybe it needs someone with contacts to represent these riders and try and get them reliable deals (if that isn't happening already). But the stock of British riders has fallen so dramatically in the last 10 years or so, with the current standard of the EL not helping, it must be a very difficult sell. I don't think the BSPA are doing enough, they seem to have no interest in the progress of British riders. The lack of team in the World Pairs last year was a perfect example of that. There needs to be far greater opportunities for British riders to put themselves in the shop window.

Good post NJC71.

I have often thought riders need some proper professional management, though at the end of the day that costs money too.

When he isn't pissed off with Berwick Promotion, he is a Bandits fan :wink:

Then all Workington fans, please accept my apologies for previous post!!!!! :)

• Like 1

Craig is Universally disliked by a certain group of Berwick fans, especially on the 3rd bend. I have no doubt he is a talented rider, but should refrain from commenting on social media, as he generalyy 'Puts is mouth in motion, before he puts his mind in gear'