British Speedway Forum
steve19620

Season 1976 Queries

Hi there

I am in the process of compiling the full heat results for the 1976 season.

Can anybody help me resolve any of the following:

1. Who was non riding reserve for New Zealand in the World Cup qualifier at Ipswich on May 16 ?

2. Eastbourne v Hackney June 13. There are 3 reported Eastbourne riders in heat 8, Sampson wins the heat but is it Colin Richardson or Steve Naylor (f exc) in fourth place?

3. Peterborough v Weymouth v Boston v Mildenhall on June 18, Vic Harding rides in heats 9 and 12, is this correct - shouldn't have Martin Yeates rode in heat 12 ? Possible error in the race formula as this was the first season the NL 4's was run.

4. Wolverhampton v Birmingham June 27. I need to know the riding order for Birmingham, I can't work out what position Arthur Browning rides at (possibly at number 2 - excluded somewhere during the first 4 heats ?) Rider replacement also in operation for Birmingham for Alan Grahame or Soren Sjosten ?

If you have a marked programme from any of these meetings I would be very grateful.

Thanks for reading.

Steve

1. Jack Millen has been confirmed as the non-riding reserve for New Zealand.

Any help with the other queries please ?

Cheers

Steve

3. Peterborough v Weymouth v Boston v Mildenhall on June 18, Vic Harding rides in heats 9 and 12, is this correct - shouldn't have Martin Yeates rode in heat 12 ? Possible error in the race formula as this was the first season the NL 4's was run.

Sorry Steve cannot help you with this one this time. Have got the Boston home programme only.

This was the riding order for Weymouth at Boston

1.Martin Yeates

2.Vic Harding

3.Chris Robins

4.Gerald Purkiss (Replaced Jack Walker)

res. Trevor Charley

If Weymouth were riding in Blue and riding in the same riding order at Peterborough as they were at Boston then Vic Harding would have been in heat 12.

By the way the rider in heat 9 should be the same rider that rides in heat 8 because that rider rides in those two heats unless replaced. In that case with same riding order would have been Gerald Purkiss if riding or Jack Walker who he was replacing at Boston.

Hope this helps you a little.

Hi Steve

Re 4.

I've just dug out the old programme I have from that meeting and Rider Replacement was operated for Soren Sjosten at 1 and Alan Grahame at 2. Arthur Browning rode at No8, covering Alan Grahame's two programmed outings in heats 5 & 11. Despite the Brummies operating double R/R, no No9 is in the programme.

Riding order:

1 R/R Soren Sjosten

2 R/R Alan Grahame

3 Bob Valentine

4 Garry Middleton

5 Lou Sansom

6 Jan Gravningen

7 Ove Olsen

8 Arthur Browning

Hope that is some assistance to you.

Edited by Leicester Hunter
  • Like 1

Hi Leicester Hunter.

Thanks for that - I never would have worked that out with double R/R in operation !

Hey - that sounds like a good idea for the modern day promoters to consider in this month's conference !!!!

Thanks

Steve

How do Yeates & Harding's rides stack up, Steve? Does reserve Charley get at least one ride?

Charley replaced Yeates in heat 16 - otherwise everything else is ok. (Harding did ride 4 times)

I think I need a copy of the race formula used in the 1976 NL4's qualifiers to review this.

Can anybody help with this ? - I am sure this was changed in the following season.

Steve

The formula for the Coatbridge round is the standard 4TT format with helmet colours denoting starting positions.

I note that if you're expecting Yeates in heat 12, and he was replaced in heat 16, he'd have to be riding at number 1 for the home team for that to work. If as I suspect he's riding at 13, he should be out in yellow in heat 9. If Harding is at 15 he should be out in heat 12 in red.

In this scenario Yeates' heats should be 2, 7, 9 and 16. Harding heats 3, 6, 12 and 14.

I'm wondering if there is another error in the reporting compunding the problem. Any chance you could reproduce the heat details?