British Speedway Forum

What puzzles me about the "modern day" speedway structure is that under the averages system a good scoring rider like David Mason loses a team slot and is replaced by one with a lower average. No wonder speedway is in decline...so many stupid rules.

What puzzles me about the "modern day" speedway structure is that under the averages system a good scoring rider like David Mason loses a team slot and is replaced by one with a lower average. No wonder speedway is in decline...so many stupid rules.

Well there's been team equalisation/rider control for as long as I can recall. Which won't be as long as you clearly gustix!

If every team could just be as strong as they wanted/could afford the competition in the leagues would be very one sided and crowds would be badly affected.

• Like 1

Well there's been team equalisation/rider control for as long as I can recall. Which won't be as long as you clearly gustix!

If every team could just be as strong as they wanted/could afford the competition in the leagues would be very one sided and crowds would be badly affected.

A fair point I suppose under the modern conditions as speedway struggles for survival. Thank you.

Mason is likely to be back at Rye House.

There is, and rightly should be, limited space for more experienced riders in the NL. They benefit their team mates yes but one per team is plenty.

Mogridge, Verge, Kirby etc aren't being forced out of contention in the Kings side because of the points limit, they are being forced out because 1) the Kings have gone top heavy and 2) they announced the bulk of their side before they knew what the points limit would be.

That being said they have made a good start to team building and with the right three riders in the last three slots they can challenge for honours without a doubt.

• Like 1

Kent aren't really top heavy.. Ben has one of the higher averages but every team does need a number one and considering Morley's been with the Kings from the beginning it would've been wrong IMO to consider anyone else for that role.

The other signings pre-AGM were James Shanes, a rider nailed on to increase his average; Danny Ayres, improving so much he's also certain to improve his scoring; and Aaron Baseby, who does have perhaps an average about the level he's likely to continue scoring at but then again what's wrong with that. No-one would've called that quartet 'top heavy' until the decision to set a 36 points maximum.

Kent aren't really top heavy.. Ben has one of the higher averages but every team does need a number one and considering Morley's been with the Kings from the beginning it would've been wrong IMO to consider anyone else for that role.

The other signings pre-AGM were James Shanes, a rider nailed on to increase his average; Danny Ayres, improving so much he's also certain to improve his scoring; and Aaron Baseby, who does have perhaps an average about the level he's likely to continue scoring at but then again what's wrong with that. No-one would've called that quartet 'top heavy' until the decision to set a 36 points maximum.

Considering they have used almost three quarters of their team building total on the top four they are definitely top heavy. No-one may have called it top heavy before the AGM but no-one knew the points limit before the AGM so perhaps it was a little premature for the Kings to sign over half their side.

Morley should be a top dog in the league this year. Adam Ellis is the only rider signed by any team so far who could be classed as head and shoulders above him on track. Shanes and Ayres are highly likely to improve too. You'd also imagine Aaron Baseby can at least maintain his starting figure considering there will be more three point riders around, which is a good thing for the division.

I don't think the Kent team will seem top heavy in comparison to others because three 3-pointers will be something a number of other teams shall have to go with too. I can't really see what the alternative was? Remember three out of the top four scorers from last year have had to be jettisoned; are you suggesting more needed to go to in order to have a balanced side..?

I don't think the Kent team will seem top heavy in comparison to others because three 3-pointers will be something a number of other teams shall have to go with too. I can't really see what the alternative was? Remember three out of the top four scorers from last year have had to be jettisoned; are you suggesting more needed to go to in order to have a balanced side..?

Agree and getting the RIGHT 3 pointers in is the key.

• Like 1

Is it just me or as I see more and more riders added to other teams im feeling more & more confident about the Kent side?

Aside from those Cradley rotters Im not in fear of anyone else thus far.....

• Like 1

Personally I think Cradley have been very clever thus far. They have all their 3 / 4 pointers in place so now they can focus on the heat leader berths which currently have the most options available.

Far too early to call on the B'ham team as they only have two names on the sheet.

Far too early to call on the B'ham team as they only have two names on the sheet.

But those two are the best heat leader and more than likely the best three pointer. That's what I call a good start!
  • Like 1

Im going to edge for Perks being top 3 pointer this year (depending how many meetings he can do without doubling up clashes)

However Ellis & Perry are going to want some stopping.....

They did say they hoped to have the team finalised by Xmas so hopefully so news in the next few days.