British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swift Saint

Stoke Potters 2015

IMPORTANT PRESS RELEASE FROM STOKE SPEEDWAY

2015 SEASON STARTS HERE

The last three weeks have been remarkable in the chequered history of Stoke Speedway. They have seen mindless vandals wreak havoc on their Loomer Road Stadium which caused tremendous consternation to the Promotion and the amazing actions of some incredible people have helped point the way forward and although reparations are far from complete in all respects the Club have felt able to declare their intent to run in the National League in 2015 and to start building a side to represent the “Eazy Rider” Potters in what will be beyond doubt a highly competitive and hard fought League.

Promoter Dave Tattum was unabashedly close to an emotional response yesterday when he said “Quite honestly although we have worked very hard internally it is members of the public that have come forward and saved this Club and for that I will be eternally grateful. Some of those providing help and support are old friends and supporters that have followed us over the years but others were not known to me at the start and I could never thank them enough for the efforts that they continue to make in bringing us to the point where we are able to declare that we will run next season. The Stock Car world has also stood by us in our hour of need and been enormously helpful in the dreadful situation that we faced. Stock Car Promoter Steve Rees has always said how important the track condition is and has assured us of his support to maintain recent standards. Speedway is not an easy sport to manage when times are hard but the staggering response that is ongoing on our behalf has rekindled my enthusiasm for the sport and lifted me from the most depressing days immediately after the destructive vandalism and sheer human filth that we had to face after the incident. Once again on behalf of all at Loomer Road past present and future I thank those wonderful people most sincerely.” he said.

Looking forward to the new season Tattum said “I am delighted to announce that Jon Armstrong will lead the new side and will also be our Club Captain. Jon is a massive part of what we are trying to achieve at Stoke, he is an immense man in all respects leading from the front and always mindful of his own riders and equally those of other teams if they should suffer the misfortune of injury during a match, and he is known throughout the sport for the absolute genuine person that he is. He has told me that he leads the team with pride and this is demonstrated every time he takes to the track, I welcome him back with open arms and the new 36.00 points limit that has been set by the League will almost certainly see Jon ride at No.1 in a re-vamped side. I am in discussions together with Team Manager Malcolm Vasey with a number of riders and expect more news for our supporters in the coming days. These discussions have already stretched geographically all over the United Kingdom and as far away as New Zealand as we attempt to put together a highly competitive team in red and white for next season. “Tattum went on to say “The entertainment on track at Loomer Road last season was of a remarkably high standard due in part to the vast amount of track work carried out in the wake of the rains of last winter. The track will be the same next season and I hope that the public who have demonstrated their affection for the Club will really get behind us and share in what they have helped to provide. I have been in this sport for a long time, we have had our ups and downs, but let’s build bridges now and see where they lead us to. We have plenty of ambition at Stoke but we need support to carry that forward. Come in droves and make it a carnival every week at Loomer Road

• Like 2

Interesting that Armstrong is the first signing. A fantastic guy to have around the pits, and will slot in at number 1 no doubt.

Given the low points limit, I wouldn't be surprised to see Stoke line up as:

1) Jon Armstrong 7.94

2) Arron Mogridge 4.36

3) 5 points

4) Chris Widman 4.81

5) Lee Payne 7.10

6) Rob Shuttleworth 3.75

7) James McBain 3.00

why Moggo Jnr , Vog,

thought Moggo Snr had a big fall out with DT?

Wishful thinking on my part I reckon. Would be nice to see the Moggo name grace a Stoke race jacket again.

Interesting that Armstrong is the first signing. A fantastic guy to have around the pits, and will slot in at number 1 no doubt.

1) Jon Armstrong 7.94

2) Arron Mogridge 4.36

3) 5 points

4) Chris Widman 4.81

5) Lee Payne 7.10

6) Rob Shuttleworth 3.75

7) James McBain 3.00

what about ben hopwood?

what about ben hopwood?

It's a numbers thing unfortunately.

You have Armstrong at 1, and then I would imagine you would look to keep Shuttleworth and get McBain back (As both can improve) That leaves you with 21.31 for the final 4 riders. At that point, if you go Hopwood and Payne (On 7.28 and 7.10 respectively) you are left with 6.93 to complete the team, meaning you have two 3 pointers. That is one hell of a tail, when the points saved on Hopwood (Or Payne) could strengthen up the middle order a bit, and potentially have Shuttleworth at reserve to start the season.

That is why I kept Widman in, as opposed to Hopwood. I think Payne will stay over Hopwood because he is an asset.

• Like 1

1) Jon Armstrong 7.94

2) Arron Mogridge 4.36

3) 5 points

4) Chris Widman 4.81

5) Lee Payne 7.10

6) Rob Shuttleworth 3.75

7) James McBain 3.00

I think you'll find RTD heading your way. So with Armstrong back, I'd expect Payne, McBain and Shuttleworth to be certainties and those 5 leave 9.53 for the final 2 places. That could mean Widman and Knuckey or Andrews, or a 3 pointer and a return for Priest.

I think you'll find RTD heading your way. So with Armstrong back, I'd expect Payne, McBain and Shuttleworth to be certainties and those 5 leave 9.53 for the final 2 places. That could mean Widman and Knuckey or Andrews, or a 3 pointer and a return for Priest.

I have the same inkling on RTD.

• Like 1

I have the same inkling on RTD.

James mcbain has retired from the sport shame was looking good last year

What is the reason for James McBain's retirement decision?

Too many knocks I think sold everything,he is too good to give up if you ask me

• Like 1

Too many knocks I think sold everything,he is too good to give up if you ask me

Thank you for the update re James McBain.

That's a shame. He is such a nice lad and a good rider.

Big Lad, that was 8 years ago! A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. I have seen Twats about a dozen times since then and each time we have a laugh at each others expence, Just like the old days before.

• Like 1

1) Jon Armstrong 7.94

2) Arron Mogridge 4.36

3) 5 points

4) Chris Widman 4.81

5) Lee Payne 7.10

6) Rob Shuttleworth 3.75

7) James McBain 3.00

Danny Phillips wouldnt be a bad call for your 5 pointer Vog.

Big Lad, that was 8 years ago! A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. I have seen Twats about a dozen times since then and each time we have a laugh at each others expence, Just like the old days before.

And it seems likely there is nothing holding back the signing of Moggo junior.