British Speedway Forum

Suggested One-off World Final Return

I doubt it very much. Generally among most Londonders mention speedway and they give you a blank look. It's many years since top class speedway was held in London and the fans from those days do not appear to be around any more. How many actual "old"London fans go to the nearest tracks at Rye House and Lakeside nowadays?

Fair point Gustix.

That's because the old London fans to not live there anymore. Places like Ealing Road, Wembley are dominated by shops owned by Asians some of which are open 24 hours a day . Go back 50 years and there were two Indian restaurants which were the only premises owned by Asians. Like here the whole demography of London has changed

I have to say I now live around 200 miles from both Cardiff and London and, for various personal reasons can not attend speedway any more.

However, my son took me to Cardiff this year and if I could persuade him to take me to Wembley this "old" London fan would certainly go. I recall other non-World Final meetings during the late 60's and 70's which I really enjoyed. For me the Cardiff track is too small but I don't know if "new" Wembley could put down anything bigger.

Who knows?.Would probably depend upon the meeting, the field and when the event was staged. If the meeting was attractive enough I don't see why Wembley could not attract 50/60,000. Would not all the old London fans who have lost their clubs long for a big Wembley event?.

It's been so long that surely half of these London fans you talk of are brown bread by now.

Of course there could still be a meeting at Wembley as just like the Millennium it could be converted. Whether it would be a success is a different matter. My take is that whilst the novelty of hosting a Wembley GP might be a success in year one, beyond that I have my doubts. To be frank, Wembley Stadium is now pretty soulless and the surrounding areas are pretty crappy too.

Makes me chuckle when people say we'd only get a World Final only every six years..

Under the current system when was the last time a World Championship was decided in this country.. 1995 wasn't it..? That's nearly TWENTY years ago! And with a GB SGP in June/July when will the next time be? Er, NEVER..!!

The GB SGP isn't even 10% of what a proper World Final would be... It's almost entirely meaningless in fact...

Terrible isn't it? Why can't we hold Cardiff at the end of the season so we can all shiver outside Wetherspoons in the rain beforehand? Then shuffle home in the freezing cold afterwards. It would really make the weekend.

You can also tell by the atmosphere in the stadium, the competitiveness of the racing and the reaction of the riders that it is utterly meaningless too. Pffff, I don't know why we bother.

Especially as Speedway gets nothing out of it at all#

Lets get bac to a World Speedway Championship that benefits Speedway and not a commercial company.

Th prize money paid out is a pittance for three hour live sports action. There has got to be something wrong when riders cannot make it pay

I'll say it again, British Speedway did sod all when it had its chunky cut of the World Finals. It was simply pocketed by promoters and no obvious investment was made in the future, either by more speedway-owned facilities or talent development - nothing.

In an ideal world, the BSPA would have conceived the GP and be running the event, making a profit and ploughing it back into the development of the sport. They didn't. And to be honest, they wouldn't have the gumption to make a success if it anyway. They simply lack the vision.

But, what domestic speedway can get out of the current system is profile. Ten or so quality meetings (although admittedly some are better than others - that's speedway) beamed into British homes on Saturday nights throughout the summer. Pre-GP there were years when no meeting would be on TV - none at all! Whether, British Speedway makes the most of the sport's TV coverage is another matter.

On riders pay, of course we'd be happier if they all did well. But I think the top boys do make a decent enough wedge and to get to their bracket you have to get into the GP and get good sponsors. It's a competitive business, but again, that's sport.

• Like 1

But, what domestic speedway can get out of the current system is profile. Ten or so quality meetings (although admittedly some are better than others - that's speedway) beamed into British homes on Saturday nights throughout the summer. Pre-GP there were years when no meeting would be on TV - none at all! Whether, British Speedway makes the most of the sport's TV coverage is another matter.

Didn't you see the adverts for Elite League speedway during the ad breaks on Eurosport? No, me neither.

I think the fundamental principle of an annual World Championship is that there should be as wide a chance as possible opportunity for competitors in that sport to have a chance in that year. The current SGP system is flawed in the main because its entrance is so severely restricted (hence how so very gradually it's changed over the years) and the line up is determined on performance/qualification from the year before.

Even if a one-off final was reinstated, common sense would dictate that the top four or five riders in the world are seeded straight into the final and the next dozen into the semi finals.

Nowadays the speedway calendar of the top riders is too crowded to leave qualification down to chance.

Could a speedway event even half fill Wembley today?

A World Final at either Wembley or - my preferred option - the Olympic Stadium would be a sell-out.

Actually there remains a lot of interest in London (where I live and work all around the city...)in Speedway. Sure that's not translated into going to see the sport but then again like anywhere else Londoners are not the best at making that effort to get to places a bit out of town; Lakeside (a bit of a mission by train and traffic hit on Friday evenings..) or Rye House - though actually the journey by train to RH out of Liverpool St or Tottenham Hale is a piece of cake if people only tried it...

But a World Final (NOT a pointless SGP round) would be a huge draw at the OS. And the way the new roof over the stands has been built MAY (not sure..?) cover the track area..?

A World Final at either Wembley or - my preferred option - the Olympic Stadium would be a sell-out.

Olympic Stadium, maybe yes, as the capacity is only slightly more than the attendance at Cardiff every year.

Wembley is nearly 90,000, which would be a very big ask. Basically it means attract twice as many people to a one-off event than regularly attend league speedway.

Actually there remains a lot of interest in London (where I live and work all around the city...)in Speedway. Sure that's not translated into going to see the sport but then again like anywhere else Londoners are not the best at making that effort to get to places a bit out of town; Lakeside (a bit of a mission by train and traffic hit on Friday evenings..) or Rye House - though actually the journey by train to RH out of Liverpool St or Tottenham Hale is a piece of cake if people only tried it...

But a World Final (NOT a pointless SGP round) would be a huge draw at the OS. And the way the new roof over the stands has been built MAY (not sure..?) cover the track area..?

As an old "Hammer" the thought of a WF at West Ham's new home would be one to savour. I might dust off my walking frame and trundle on down. Olympic Park is easier to get to than Wembley too. Nice thought and good post friend.

Olympic Stadium, maybe yes, as the capacity is only slightly more than the attendance at Cardiff every year.

Wembley is nearly 90,000, which would be a very big ask. Basically it means attract twice as many people to a one-off event than regularly attend league speedway.

Any more for Olympic Park?.

A very profound comment that I endorse.

Which riders precisely haven't had the chance to qualify?

All these British riders were in the GP Challenge for the 2015 GPs:

Craig Cook
Lewis Bridger
Chris Harris
Richard Lawson
Kyle Howarth
Daniel King
Richie Worrall

Yes - they were.

BUT - how many bread and butter' Riders were? You conveniently forget about them.

Everyone - from Elite League, Premier League and National League should have the chance to try to win the Sport's top honour. But no - it is up to BSI to select who they want. They don't even pay British Speedway for the privilege.

Some World Championship that!!!!!

Remember - Jack Young won his first World Championship as a Second Division Rider.

Fat chance of that happening these days - he wouldn't get picked.

75 only? For 81 , they would dream of that gate now what does Cardiff get 50?

Much less than that. :sad: :sad: :sad:

This thread is far too domesticated to be treated seriously. Most of it is on how affects the UK - for its worth these days.

Has anyone sounded out opinion as to if other countries are interested in the "return of a one-off World Final"? Are other countries interested in dropping the Speedway GP format. I doubt very much - although I have not sounded out opinion - that they are.

Seriously, do you think that foreign supporters really give a tinkers toss that Jack Young was able to win the world championship as a Second Division rider some 60 years ago?

Yes - they were.

BUT - how many bread and butter' Riders were? You conveniently forget about them.

Everyone - from Elite League, Premier League and National League should have the chance to try to win the Sport's top honour. But no - it is up to BSI to select who they want. They don't even pay British Speedway for the privilege.

Some World Championship that!!!!!

Remember - Jack Young won his first World Championship as a Second Division Rider.

I'd suggest there are some very bread and butter riders in that list.

My understanding is that every rider is allowed to enter the qualification round for the British championships. Then, the federations are given a number of places in the GP challenge qualifying, which are populated based on rider's placings in the British Finals. BSI don't get to "choose" riders.

Nothing to stop a NL rider working their way through the qualifying rounds.

Here's a wacky idea, maybe it is more difficult to win the World Title today than it was in the 50s because the standard of riders is so much higher?

• Like 1

:

Hang on. Weren't you using jason doyle as an example of how much weaker speedway was these days, when a rider could be number one in both pl and el.

how much weaker must it have been in the 50s then for young to do that?!?

I'd suggest there are some very bread and butter riders in that list.

My understanding is that every rider is allowed to enter the qualification round for the British championships. Then, the federations are given a number of places in the GP challenge qualifying, which are populated based on rider's placings in the British Finals. BSI don't get to "choose" riders.

Nothing to stop a NL rider working their way through the qualifying rounds.

Here's a wacky idea, maybe it is more difficult to win the World Title today than it was in the 50s because the standard of riders is so much higher?

Or then again - maybe it's harder. Mauger, Moore and Briggo et al had to QUALIFY through various Rounds to even get to the Final. Unlike today when the top eight are presumed to have qualified just because they finished in the top eight the PREVIOUS Season. They are then SELECTED for the following Seasons World Championship Competition.

How the hell you justify that I don't know.

You couldn't make it up.

Hang on. Weren't you using jason doyle as an example of how much weaker speedway was these days, when a rider could be number one in both pl and el.

how much weaker must it have been in the 50s then for young to do that?!?

That doesn't detract from the fact that he won the World Championship as a Second Division Rider and that he did that because he was given the opportunity.

• Like 1

Yes - but as matt pointed out all riders today have a chance too.

question twk: would you say champions league football teams QUALIFY for the competition, or are they SELECTED?

That doesn't detract from the fact that he won the World Championship as a Second Division Rider and that he did that because he was given the opportunity.

How is that any different from the GP challenge today?

Hmm, it depends on who you are in terms of whether it's more difficult to win now than before!

If you're one of those constantly in the GPs (and in practice finishing in the top 10 of 15 each year will 'earn' you that right) then it is considerably EASIER nowadays to win the world championship! Outside of that few then it's actually impossible to win it!!

• Like 1