British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ivanhoward

Heats Formula

One thing i noticed is that if the 2nd reserve were to only have 3 rides, he'd have to be replaced in either heat 8 or 9, depending on wether they were 6 or 7. Their next appearance would be heat 12, so if they were replaced in 8/9, they could go have to wait 7 or 8 heats to race, after having 2 rides in the first 5 races.

• Like 1

Also long gap for home number 1 rider first to second ride.

No. 1 doesn't ride again until heat 7? Crikey! That could equate to almost a 2 hour gap for meetings at Brandon!!!

What a long wait we had, and for what???? Very little done to address the issues that were raised. Yeah OK, the No 4 has an earlier ride, now at the expense of the No 1 having to wait longer for his second ride. I thought the main reason for change was to give the FTR more competition against HL opposition, and the second strings to have harder rides. but none of that has been addressed.....

If that's all that come out of it, I now question the logic of change, and ask why didn't they leave it as it was.....

• Like 1

What a long wait we had, and for what???? Very little done to address the issues that were raised. Yeah OK, the No 4 has an earlier ride, now at the expense of the No 1 having to wait longer for his second ride. I thought the main reason for change was to give the FTR more competition against HL opposition, and the second strings to have harder rides. but none of that has been addressed.....

If that's all that come out of it, I now question the logic of change, and ask why didn't they leave it as it was.....

Rather than solve an issue they tinker and paper over the cracks - and drive more fans away! :sad:

• Like 3

Wolves v Coventry example

1 LINDGREN ------ 1 7 11 13 ........ 1 ANDERSEN --- 1 6 10 13

2 WELLS ---------- 1 5 9 11 .......... 2 ROBSON ------- 1 5 8 10

3 MUSELIAK ------ 3 6 10 14 ........ 3 KING ------------ 3 7 11 14

4 KARLSSON ----- 4 6 8 14 .......... 4 BRIDGER ------ 4 7 9 14

5 THORSSELL ---- 3 7 10 13 ........ 5 HARRIS -------- 3 6 11 13

6 BLACKBIRD ---- 2 5 9 12 .......... 6 GARRITY ------ 2 5 8 12

7 BATES ----------- 2 4 8 12 .......... 7 SARJEANT --- 2 4 9 12

By the time heat 7 comes the away team heat leaders have all had two rides each (6 races) but the home team just one has had two rides (4 races) so the away team should be at an early advantage unless the top home rider is at #3

Imagine Poole were to start with Holder and Ward backed up by Watt as the three heat leaders. At home Ward and Holder may have only had one ride each but away those three could have raced to 15 points between them already after 6 races but the home team have only mustered possibly 8 from their heat leaders 4 appearances upto heat 7 ...... that gives a big advantage to top heavy teams away from home

Whats more is in the last four programmed rides (of which one is a reserve heat) the away team have 5/6 of their spaces filled by 1,3 or 5 compared to 4/6 for the home team

Quite agree and instead of doing a new format it has been tweeked a little and we are still going to see the reserves and second strings getting big points in the easier races while the top riders battle hard for 5-8 points

Its only for Clubs, riders and managers (and the programme editors) to be aware of before the first team meeting of the season. I really cannot understand why people get so uptight about it - there will be 15 heats involving all 7 riders from each team , end of!!

Do people go to footie matches knowing in advance who will take each free kick, corner, penalty or throw-in???? :oops:

[/quote

your right BUT they dont keep changin the rules every year..and keep it a secret until the

whistle blows

Also long gap for home number 1 rider first to second ride.

tbf, in the classic 13 heat format the home 7 waited ftom heat 2 til heat 8 for his second ride. Home 6 was finished by heat 7. Almost any format is going to have some anomaly.

don't understand the ehingeing tbh. The format is designed to create close racing between riders of an even standard. The reserves and second strings this year will find it tougher than last year due to better riders in both those brackets. Thr only resl issue is the artificial averages created, but tbh neither last year or in yhis years buildung have we seen teams taking advantage of that. And this could be easily overcome by weighting averages.

edited to add that personally I would go back to a slightly modified version of the bl format introduced in 88, essentially the classic 13ht plus a second reserve race and a nominated heat.

Edited by waihekeaces1

tbf, in the classic 13 heat format the home 7 waited ftom heat 2 til heat 8 for his second ride. Home 6 was finished by heat 7.

Less of an issue for the reserves though, as they might (and often did) pick up extra rides in the meeting.

edited to add that personally I would go back to a slightly modified version of the bl format introduced in 88, essentially the classic 13ht plus a second reserve race and a nominated heat.

It was problematic though when one of the reserves got injured, which was not an uncommon occurrence.

7 riders with 2 reserves and everyone having programmed rides is unfortunately not very conducive to a balanced heat format or regular programme rides.