British Speedway Forum
doners1234

What The Visa Issues Could Mean For Teams.

Speedway is run by Del Boy's, only difference is that they drive posher cars, but at least the Reliant Robin wasn't on the knock.

Congratulations on your internationalist outlook - but I can see some practical problems (as well as considerable political resistance) to allowing 1.2 billion Indian citizens the right to work and live in the UK

Not to mention the 200 million from Pakistan and 150 million from Bangladesh. In fact, the Commonwealth collectively has 2.4 billion citizens...

It doesn't entirely work that way. Immigrants sometimes take jobs that would otherwise not be filled, or even created in the first place. They can also contribute to economic growth which in turn creates more jobs.

If you eliminated the 22 work permit riders in British speedway, would you create 22 jobs for British riders, or make several teams less attractive to watch with the consequence that some may fold?

Nobody wants 22 Australians and Americans kicked out. If they're of a reasonable standard they can, and should stay. What is not wanted is for the Aussies, Americans and any other country from sending over there crap and waste of space so they become our problem. We're talking half a dozen (ish) riders who shouldn't be here and cannot be justified.

If kicking out Campton, Wethers, Poole and a few others really does make teams "less attractive" then I suggest promoters take a long hard look at their product, it's clearly a little bit rubbish.

If kicking out Campton, Wethers, Poole and a few others really does make teams "less attractive" then I suggest promoters take a long hard look at their product, it's clearly a little bit rubbish.

To be honest, given the numbers involved, and the almost zero impact that speedway has on the UK economy, I think it's neither here nor there whether indifferent Aussies (and Kiwis) are riding in Britain or not. What does make me laugh though, is that on the one hand people are clamouring for a crack-down on immigration, yet seem to think that speedway should be allowed to do what it pleases.

• Like 4

To be honest, given the numbers involved, and the almost zero impact that speedway has on the UK economy, I think it's neither here nor there whether indifferent Aussies (and Kiwis) are riding in Britain or not. What does make me laugh though, is that on the one hand people are clamouring for a crack-down on immigration, yet seem to think that speedway should be allowed to do what it pleases.

I hate myself for this but, it's the thin end of the wedge. You start letting in rubbish speedway riders, you have to let in rubbish footballers, cricketers, netball players and before you know it, if you can let in a sportsman earning 15k a year then why not a shop assistant or call centre worker too?

Personally, if I was in charge, I'd kick all permit/visa riders out of the PL and make it so that NO rider could drop more than a point bellow the assessed figure they joined the league on. It'll force more young Brits up and frankly, 90% of people would know they were watching Matt Wethers, Kozza Smith and Taylor Poole or Adam Ellis, Nathan Greaves and Chris Widman. It would just be different riders.

Clubs would soon sign up more young Brits to take up the slack and with their being more team place the numbers game says you have more chance of finding the next Team GB star.

Edited by SCB

I hate myself for this but, it's the thin end of the wedge. You start letting in rubbish speedway riders, you have to let in rubbish footballers, cricketers, netball players and before you know it, if you can let in a sportsman earning 15k a year then why not a shop assistant or call centre worker too?

For arguments sake, I think it could be argued there's plenty of other places for rubbish footballers and cricketers to ply their trade. Netball is irrelevant because it's not a professional sport as far as I'm aware.

By contrast, there's not really many places for speedway riders to race professionally, and I think it's easier to find local people to work in a call centre than ride a speedway bike...

• Like 1

For arguments sake, I think it could be argued there's plenty of other places for rubbish footballers and cricketers to ply their trade. Netball is irrelevant because it's not a professional sport as far as I'm aware.

By contrast, there's not really many places for speedway riders to race professionally, and I think it's easier to find local people to work in a call centre than ride a speedway bike...

So rather than us not letting the rubbish ply their trade here, the Aussies, Americans and other nationalities should either complain at the nations that don't have a league for them to ride in or even start up their own league before complaining we only allow there average and above riders over.

Genuine Question, have Australia ever had leagues or are the distances too vast ?

No, but why bother when they can come over here and earn a nice wedge, mind you, if you can travel from UK to Poland for a Meeting, then travel doesn't really come into the equation.

Edited by Lord Skid

Humphrey I could not put it better myself.

There are 40 and more riders hoping for MDL spots, they could replace NL riders who move up. You might notice the lower standard for a season but not after that. From the way some of the Aussies and particularly their manager talk, we OWE them a living and they are indispensable. Nobody is.

• Like 1

Genuine Question, have Australia ever had leagues or are the distances too vast ?

There's been state leagues, in particular a Queensland League, but I don't think anything at a national level.

ISMS was a reasonable attempt at a truly national series (albeit individual competition) which lasted for 2 or 3 seasons some years back, but even then, nothing anyone could make a living out of.

The active tracks are just too far apart, and in many cases too far from major population centres, to make a national competition viable.

There are 40 and more riders hoping for MDL spots, they could replace NL riders who move up.

I don't doubt it, but that wasn't my point.

I think you are right, I have a feeling this is part of the reason we are tightening up the visa laws for anyone outside the EU coming into this Country on a work permit, it could be something to do with Countries like Australia doing the same, and we are going along the same lines, I know with a few of my mates telling me, its not easy getting a work permit when thinking to go to Australia to work.

Its not the VISA laws being tightened up - as I posted on the Workington thread I came across this in a different area in 2001 and have often queried how riders were able to come to the UK in the way they did. Whats happened is that the authorities have finally clamped down on British Speedway for not complying with the regulations in the way they should have been. this is not all about having a go at speedway which is all some seem to want to see. perhaps the authorites have to share some of the blame for not noticing the breaches in speedway earlier - although Mr harkess conceded that it was brought to clubs attentions last season - but see the wider picture. Why should speedway riders be treated differently from any Australian in another occupation when it comes to getting a work visa for the UK?

• Like 4

It depends where said Immigrants come from.

• Like 2

Its not the VISA laws being tightened up - as I posted on the Workington thread I came across this in a different area in 2001 and have often queried how riders were able to come to the UK in the way they did. Whats happened is that the authorities have finally clamped down on British Speedway for not complying with the regulations in the way they should have been. this is not all about having a go at speedway which is all some seem to want to see. perhaps the authorites have to share some of the blame for not noticing the breaches in speedway earlier - although Mr harkess conceded that it was brought to clubs attentions last season - but see the wider picture. Why should speedway riders be treated differently from any Australian in another occupation when it comes to getting a work visa for the UK?

Good post and I agree, why have they took so long in doing so, for me because we have let more and more riders from Australia come into the British league, we are in the mess we are now, people have been talking for years that we have to many in it, and its the main reason we see less British riders in Speedway, but now its finally been clamped down on, just a little to late I think, if it had been done a few years ago, maybe not so many British riders would have packed in.

It depends where said Immigrants come from.

Its a good job India are not into Speedway, British lads would never get a look in.

Edited by Devildodger
  • Like 2