British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Speedway Star & Classic Speedway Paper Quality

And you've made your point. Quite strongly. In fact, so strongly that you have decided to break forum rules and post in capitals to get your point across.

Like we can't read!

What I would say is that just because you don't like something (e.g. the advent of the GPs), doesn't mean that it's not a historically significant milestone in the history of the sport that shouldn't be covered in a nostalgia magazine.

However, perhaps this is a debate for another thread. Maybe Tony might want to open up a thread of its own.

Only because I care passionately about a Magazine that I look forward to reading every time it comes through the door.

Over something like this I believe that I am entitled to express my views as strongly as possible.

I apologise if I offended you - that was not my intention - I just wanted to get my point across as strongly as I could. I stand by my views.

I love reading the old stuff... the recent articles in the Star, the regular supply of memories offered by Backtrack etc. But there is something that still seems too modern about trying to invite the 90s into the nostalgia trip... like it isn't that long ago for long-in-the-tooth fans (like me).

The 90s may interests fans that arrived in the past 15 or 20 years... but, like the Kelvin Tatum piece recently, or a piece on, say, on Billy Hamill...they resemble photos that sit on the mantle piece at home. They are there, and every now and then you notice them. They aren't out of your mind's eye as such. For this, you would have to put them away, forget about them... and they would become more interesting, after decades of not seeing them.

It is like when you were a child, a toy you thought you'd lost... was found. I could have been for weeks, but as a child, that was a lifetime.

The old pictures, the ones from family occasions that are locked away in some cupboard upstairs.. these photographs are pawed over only on special occasions.

Those photos are similar to speedway fans' memories, the stories from the 70s and 80s, of riders that have gone from our minds for generations until, like that old cigar box full of old photos, you come across them again. Witnessing them once more rebuilds the bridge to happier times.

Right now, riders from the 90s haven't been retired long enough to cross that bridge.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 5

I love reading the old stuff... the recent articles in the Star, the regular supply of memories offered by Backtrack etc. But there is something that still seems too modern about trying to invite the 90s into the nostalgia trip... like it isn't that long ago for long-in-the-tooth fans (like me).

The 90s may interests fans that arrived in the past 15 or 20 years... but, like the Kelvin Tatum piece recently, or a piece on, say, on Billy Hamill...they resemble photos that sit on the mantle piece at home. They are there, and every now and then you notice them. They aren't out of your mind's eye as such. You would have to put them away, forget about them... and they would become more interesting, after decades of not seeing them.

It is like when you were a child, a toy you thought you'd lost... was found. I could have been for weeks, but as a child, that was a lifetime.

The old pictures, the ones from family occasions that are locked away in some cupboard upstairs.. these photographs are pawed over only on special occasions.

Those photos are similar to speedway fans' memories, the stories from the 70s and 80s, of riders that have gone from our minds for generations until, like that old cigar box full of old photos, you come across them again. Witnessing them once more rebuilds the bridge to happier times.

Right now, riders from the 90s haven't been retired long enough to cross that bridge.

Great Post moxey63 - and very well put too, if I may say so. :t:

• Like 2

Great Post moxey63 - and very well put too, if I may say so. :t:

The medication is working my brian cells.

• Like 1

The medication is working my brian cells.

At least you have some left. :t:

Whilst me................................................................................................ :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

Ooops - just noticed - how is Brian by the way? :o;)

• Like 1

Nicely put.

Also, If I'm honest, I know relatively little about the sport in the 90s compared to the 70s & 80s, which is the 20-year period in speedway's history that I enjoyed most. I'd drifted away from the sport to pursue another career angle and didn't get back involved in speedway publishing until 2003-ish.

Yes, of course, a lot happened in the 90s - including some major changes (World Championship to GP, for example) - but in my book, there weren't many good things happening in the sport. Not long before I left Speedway Mail completely in 1992, track closures were rife, crowds everywhere were down, virtually all the 'professional' promoters had taken their ball home, foreign leagues were gaining momentum and London had ceased to have a track.

Did anything other than the introduction of Sky's coverage fall into the 'good' category?

Edited by tmc

Nicely put.

Also, If I'm honest, I know relatively little about the sport in the 90s compared to the 70s & 80s, which is the 20-year period in speedway's history that I enjoyed most. I'd drifted away from the sport to pursue another career angle and didn't get back involved in speedway publishing until 2003-ish.

Yes, of course, a lot happened in the 90s - including some major changes (World Championship to GP, for example) - but in my book, there weren't many good things happening in the sport. Not long before I left Speedway Mail completely in 1992, track closures were rife, crowds everywhere were down, virtually all the 'professional' promoters had taken their ball home, foreign leagues were gaining momentum and London had ceased to have a track.

Did anything other than the introduction of Sky's coverage fall into the 'good' category?

That's very honest of you tmc - and possibly the BEST reason for staying away from that era with BackTrack. ;):)

Even that is questionable. SKY that is.

Edited by The White Knight

Back to the original topic the paper used in Classic No 28 is so thin that the promised answers to the quiz Mystery Men in No 27 has fallen right through otherwise usual excellent contents.

Back to the original topic the paper used in Classic No 28 is so thin that the promised answers to the quiz Mystery Men in No 27 has fallen right through otherwise usual excellent contents.

Nothing gets past our readers. The names just dissolved off the page.

Ok then, if you must know...

1. Alan Witt

2. Ivor Brown

3. Bengt Jansson & Garry Middleton

4. Ian Bottomley

5. Terry Lee

6. Mick Handley

• Like 1

Just out of interest, was the paper similiar to the horrible effort by the new ExtraTime/Backpass magazine?

Thankfully that has lasted for just one issue before Backpass has returned to it's previous format!!

Just out of interest, was the paper similiar to the horrible effort by the new ExtraTime/Backpass magazine?

Thankfully that has lasted for just one issue before Backpass has returned to it's previous format!!

Thankfully, the paper wasn't that bad!

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has posted on this, but I’ve noticed the latest editions of both the Speedway Star [w/e 21st February] and Classic Speedway have a less superior paper quality. There’s no question on the articles being any less superior but I got used to reading and flicking through both magazines with what I believe to be a better quality paper.

I am not a fan of the Star at the moment but printer prices are always increasing, so sometimes you have a choice, less quality paper (feels the same to me as it goes) or maintain quality paper and increase the price to the end user. Are end users going to want to pay more money? I doubt it.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of the Star at the moment but printer prices are always increasing, so sometimes you have a choice, less quality paper (feels the same to me as it goes) or maintain quality paper and increase the price to the end user. Are end users going to want to pay more money? I doubt it.

I would.

For 'BackTrack' and 'Classic Speedway' magazines anyway. :t:

• Like 1