British Speedway Forum
ch958

Riding In Europe In The Old Days

my speedway life started in 1968 and i can not for the life of me remember British League riders racing in foreign leagues.

Did they in fact do this? Or was the BL so busy and lucrative that this wasn't done. Or was it because there were there fewer full time racers?

I ask this because on Facebook there is an old time speedway group and occasional photos appear of, say Ken McKinlay, in a Swedish team's race jacket.

TWK I know you are a Facebook refusenik but you would love this group!

Some rode in the US league,like Bert Harkins and some rode in the German Bundesliga(Mouncer,Cusworth and Cowland I think ) all in the early 70s.Not sure about earlier than that.Most rode in open meetings in Europe in the 20s,30s,40s,50s etc

Edited by iris123

I remember Mike Broadbank saying he once rode in Sweden and travelled with Briggo, who was apparently a frequent visitor.

I remember Mike Broadbank saying he once rode in Sweden and travelled with Briggo, who was apparently a frequent visitor.

I should add that I think these were open meetings, rather than league.

British-based riders were very much a feature of an exceptionally strong Dutch League (Holland) that ran in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Matches mainly took place on Sundays with the main centres in Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

Those were the days of the Iron Curtain, so with the exception of mtgs like the Czech Golden Helmet there was no way riders could flip into communist countries every other Sunday.

And although British grass & speedway riders were invited to the exceptional big mtgs, after 1971 East Germany (at least) stopped inviting Westerners in a political retalitary move.

Or was the BL so busy and lucrative that this wasn't done.

Don't think there was ever a time when a rider didn't try to maximise his earnings.That means if there was an opportunity on a day off he would willingly fly over to places like Germany and take on a booking.Even back in the 1920s they were doing this .Ginger Lees,Clem Beckett and Eric Langton etc

yes i remember in the 70s the riders resisted Sunday speedway in GB (at least in Div 1) because this was the day they rode abroad

i dont remember, for example, riders appearing in the Swedish league in the 70s though

thats kind of what i'm getting at - i know they rode in open meetings, grass and long track etc

I would imagine, given that bl ran as now basically 7 nights a week, that committing to a foreign league that paid less than the bl to be problematic.

Much easier, and no doubt lucrative, to pick and choose open meetings around the bl schedule.

interesting question, hopefully someone may have some specifics of riders who did.

Not sure if it was the 70's or 80's but I seem to remember John Davis riding in the German league.

Not sure if it was the 70's or 80's but I seem to remember John Davis riding in the German league.

according to wiki he won four leagur titles in germany, one in poland and also rode in sweden for malilla.

I would imagine, given that bl ran as now basically 7 nights a week, that committing to a foreign league that paid less than the bl to be problematic.

Much easier, and no doubt lucrative, to pick and choose open meetings around the bl schedule.

interesting question, hopefully someone may have some specifics of riders who did.

I just doubt whether promoters in those days would have stood for it.But I do think there started to be problems with continental clashes by the 70s.Maybe Briggo or Mauger for instance.And wasn't it part of Ivans deal that he was picked up by helicopter and taken to Exeter or a Monday ?

I just doubt whether promoters in those days would have stood for it.But I do think there started to be problems with continental clashes by the 70s.Maybe Briggo or Mauger for instance.And wasn't it part of Ivans deal that he was picked up by helicopter and taken to Exeter or a Monday ?

Yes , but not a 'copter . John Richards (joint promoter with Wally Mawdsley) who had a car dealership in Bishops Lydeard let Ivan have use of his private plane. Not a modern day jet , but a decent turbo-prop which enabled Ivan to ride on the continent and be picked up at Exeter airport ready for Gulf BL racing on Monday nights.

Edited by phlipphlop
  • Like 1

In the 19 strong BL from 1966, you'd have 36 league matches, at least 1 KO Cup match, 3 World Championship qualifiers and then there were Challenge matches, Individual meetings, in London and the Midlands there were regional cup competitions, Midland Riders/Northern Riders qualification meetings. That probably adds up to about 50 without guest appearances. Given that many of the riders were not full-time that was more than enough.

Yes , but not a 'copter . John Richards (joint promoter with Wally Mawdsley) who had a car dealership in Bishops Lydeard let Ivan have use of his private plane. Not a modern day jet , but a decent turbo-prop which enabled Ivan to ride on the continent and be picked up at Exeter airport ready for Gulf BL racing on Monday nights.

I'd just like to mention 1974. :D :D :D

I'd just like to mention 1974. :D :D :D

Bayern Munich,what a team

Wondering if it was the continental bookings that made Ivan decide to leave Belle Vue?

Edited by iris123