British Speedway Forum
lino wolf

Wolves Vs Belle Vue Tues 7th April

Playing Devil's Advocate for a second here.

If the Fast Track scheme is designed to 'encourage & develop' the reserves, surely the way forward would be for BOTH riders to take their allotted programmed rides. Replace a struggling member of the top 5 by all means if one of the reserves is riding well enough but doesn't giving one reserve 5 rides and the other 3 rides defeat the object of the whole thing?

Just a thought.

I was quite impressed with Bates last night, and as you say the more rides he has, the quicker he will improve. Then hopefully we will have a good PAIR of reserves as the season goes on.

If the Fast Track scheme is designed to 'encourage & develop' the reserves, surely the way forward would be for BOTH riders to take their allotted programmed rides. Replace a struggling member of the top 5 by all means if one of the reserves is riding well enough but doesn't giving one reserve 5 rides and the other 3 rides defeat the object of the whole thing?

Just a thought.

Good idea. Only trouble is you'd have certain teams inventing 'injuries' during meetings to riders who've scored 1 from 3.

• Like 1

Good idea. Only trouble is you'd have certain teams inventing 'injuries' during meetings to riders who've scored 1 from 3.

Really? In speedway? Never!

• Like 1

Nope, not in the slightest.

Blackbird is head and shoulders the better rider, period.

As said, by that line of thinking, you would be putting Bates in for Lindgren.

i'm not disagreeing with your argument, and hindsight shows you were right (to be clear, i understand you were saying this before heat 8) - just offerring a reason why it was not illogical to keep him in.

As for lindgren - personally i think there is quite a difference between not swapping a reserve, and replacing a heat leader.

Just a thought.

It's professional sport. They have already been given a chance, how many more rides so they want? Maybe they should be guaranteed heat 15 too. And any other rides they want.

cook and stead cost belle vue dearly it seems.

they will need to improve away from home for aces to get anywhere this year. i expect stead will but not so sure abput cook.

And Craig scored paid 7 too so on a 6.21 average, he's done his job too

On way home now.

Plenty of effort fromm the lads today especially zagar. Just riding the wrong lines again. Which seems to be the norm when we come wolves.

It was a match of 2 halves. Unfortunately for us it was the 2nd half that counted.

Wolves riders just rode the right lines. Which made them look good.

For us

Zagar - plenty of effort and did a heat 15. When he was passing on outside which was a lot he just couldn't quite get over the rider and was forever lifting

Fricke - a decent night. Kept missing the apex of bend 2. That was his problem. But a solid start

Nicholls - rode well. MOT

cook - first 2 he looked aggressive and had speed. But then same old cook. What he was doing in his 3rd race got knows. But he was passed and threw a strop and gave up. Don't like that. But he improved on last year albeit with easier rides

Stead - paid 7 in heat leader ain't bad. Don't forget last year he was at the much easier potion of 2. Riding at 5 is the hardest position in team this year

worrall - up and down like a yo yo

Nielsen - was like a amateur. Couldn't turn the bike. Ben Morley and clegg are waiting in the wings.

So not the result we expected but at least we can get it out of our systems straight away. Will be tougher tomo. I'm a gluten for punishment going lynn tomo. But I do it for the love of the aces.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

A quick note lemon made the right tactical moves. Well the 1 he had to make anyway. So fair play

I think there's alot more to come from the Aces.glad me met you early.

Freddie wasn't dominating races at Monmore in his last season with us, so hard to see him doing it now. His ride in Heat 7 was bordering on amateurish. I still believe he'll do well to maintain his average.

Some decent racing tonight. I thought Tomasz looked more comfortable as the night went on, Ricky Wells put himself about and bullied Fricke a couple of times too. I think our strong area will be at reserve, as Blackbird will get better as will Bates.

think your wrong;Freddie will be fine once he settles back in,i think he'll hold his own

I thought at first we were gifting the points on a plate to the Aces!

Freddie was nowhere in Heat 1, then our reserves got outgated in Heat 2. THEN what a schoolboy error to send PK out in the wrong helmet colour and he rightly got excluded from Heat 4. All was not lost but that could have been a 5-1 instead of the 4-2 we got.

Freddie looking ill at ease at Monmore is a rare sight. But to see him go from 1st to 4th in the space of a lap in Heat 7? And can any trivia fan tell me the last time Freddie opened with 2 duck eggs??

After 7 heats our top 2 had scored precisely nothing.

The crowd were stunned into silence and I heard rumblings of leaving before things got any worse.

However what was to follow showed the inner Wolf and hopefully the shape of more to come.

No Belle Vue rider won a heat after Heat 7.

The battle between Wells and Cook in Heat 9 proved an absorbing one. Cook giving up after nearly hitting the fence on lap 3.

Then perhaps the biggest surprise saw Wolves outgate the Aces unbeaten number one in Heat 10. Musielak showing why he is scoring freely in Poland with some good speed although he needs to start mastering coming out of the tight bends. A lift on the 2nd lap with Jacob alongside him could have been disastrous for both but he got the wheel down but allowed Zagar to close in a little. Jacob riding a superb line for 2 laps to deny the GP star.

Heat 13 we could have been sailing into 50+ territory with both Wolves leading Zagar. Again Jacob did everything right thwarting Zagar at every opportunity – right up until the last lap when he drifted a bit too wide out the 2nd bend which allowed Zagar to slip in and speed into the 3rd bend. Jacob down and a potential maximum turned into a drawn heat.

Heat 15 had everything that a top race should have. Freddie had to battle to pass Scott who continued to push hard. PK defending hard against Zagar who was always looking to make a pass.

NEGATIVES – We need to get out the traps from the off – there was some awful sluggish starts. PK admitted the boys were a bit nervous early on.

POSITIVES – Every rider took at least one heat win. Reserves who can make a difference.

WOLVES

FREDDIE – started like he was on one of Woffy`s old Monmore bikes but then owned Monmore in the next 3. 3.5/5

RICKY – Looked quick all through the meeting. Got beaten up by Nicholls in his last race but was still chasing. Did his job well. 4/5

TOBBY – His race win proved he has ability but his ability to read the track yet is leaving him exposed. Was much more in the hunt in his last race although he finished last. 1/5

PK – His helmet colour faux pas in Heat 4 could have proved costly however topped the scorers again and looks like there is plenty of life in the old Swedish horse yet. 4/5

JACOB – Won his opener by a mile and can take anyone on at Monmore. Beat all the Aces top 3. 3.5/5

LEWIS – Started slowly and looked a little unhappy with track conditions and then showed his class in his last 2. Beat Craig Cook. 3.5/5

JOSH – What a home debut. Gave chase in Heat 2 and then made a blinding gate and excellent effort to deny Cookie in Heat 4. Only added a point after that but he had already done more than his job. His 5 points after Heat 8 one of the main reasons we were still in breathing distance of the Aces. Delighted with our choice of FTR at 7. MOTM

ACES

Zagar – did the opposite of what I expected. Was untouchable in the deep heavy shale but then struggled to beat our weaker heat leaders and second strings. 3/5

Fricke – a rather disappointing night for Max who I expect will be a match winner often for the Aces this year. 2.5/5

Nicholls – only got one win in 5 races but had plenty of speed and was the main consistent challenger to our dominance in the 2nd half. 4/5

Cook – I expected more from him in a second string role yet lost to both our reserves. 2/5

Stead – did little of any note worthy of a mention. 2/5

Worrall – as expected one of the better FTR`s scored the same as Lewis (although from one ride more) yet didn’t beat any of our top 5 riders. 3/5

Nielsen – CRM (cant ride Monmore) 0/5

I was quite impressed with Bates last night, and as you say the more rides he has, the quicker he will improve. Then hopefully we will have a good PAIR of reserves as the season goes on.

a fair and honest statement.great in depth report for those who didnt witness this unexpected win.
  • Like 1

And Craig scored paid 7 too so on a 6.21 average, he's done his job too

you would expect a good second string to score above his average (note the 6.21 EXCLUDES bp) @ 2nd string, but score below it riding as a heat leader.

the aces were four points short, imho you'd want cook and nielson to each score two more than they did. You could also argue that youd want zagar to hit double figures, but thextwenty he and nicholls scored is sbout right. Fricke stead and worral also scored around what you'd hope for away from home imho.

To add my congratulations to Josh Bates in a team with years of experience between them. I know I would have been as nervous as hell and for me he came through it with his head held high.

Well done youngun👍👍👍

• Like 1

One thing about last night is it reminded me why I wouldn't touch Craig Cook with a bargepole. Another British rider who thinks he's better than he actually is.

Watching Craig Cook last night reminded me of 2 other British riders Bridger and Kennett,although they have ridden loads of laps at Monmore they still manage to ride the wrong lines.The way Cook drifted off the inside line to let 2 Wolves riders to pass him is unforgivable.Everyone knows at Monmore now 80% of the passes happen up the inside,you have to ride with your head and make opponents go the long way round the outside.

• Like 2

a fair and honest statement.great in depth report for those who didnt witness this unexpected win.

Thanks OOD.

It was certainly unexpected half way thru!

Maybe less so before tapes up although the myth that the Aces are stronger on paper away is as yet to be proven on track.

Thought Belle Vue would take at least a point from this one but their early dominance at the gate was equalled and then bettered by Wolves who took control with two consecutive 5-1's in heats 9 and 10.

Zagar and Fricke took the lead in heat one but again Ricky Wells looked up for the challenge and passed Fricke while in heat two, Nielsen and Worrall both gated way ahead of the Wolves pair but Nielsen almost took out the fence on turn four as he battled to stay in control of his bike and a possible 2-10 scoreline was actually 5-7.

A great win by Jacob Thorssell in heat three over Nicholls while Musielak failed to complete a lap was followed by the muck up in heat 4 with both PK and Bates coming out in blue helmet colours. By the time the red helmet colour was ran onto the track, the 2 minutes were up and the Wolves legend had to start 15 meters back.

Catching Nielsen was not a problem but Cook was on the pace challenging Bates who was riding well and held on in a tight finish to the line to level it at 12-12. Wolves hit the lead with a great ride again from Wells as Blackbird passed Worrall who made a mistake to make it 16-14 but the scores were again levelled in heat six when Zagar and Stead were split by PK and Musielak was shoved to the back on turn one by Zagar.

Interesting point in heat five was Blackbird being taken out on the first bend and Worrall laying his bike down. All four was the correct ruling as it was clearly first bend bunching but while Ricky Wells waited by the track gate, Fricke, Blackbird and Worrall all returned to the pit lane ........ and all reappeared for the re-run without punishment.

Heat seven looked like we had the real Freddie turn up as he hie the front but he drifted wide on turns one and two and as he entered turn three he slowed up and was out of the race going from first to last in the space of a straight. With Jacob also battled out on turn one, Aces hit a 5-1 to go four up. A shared heat 8 with Bates correctly kept in but finishing last led to heat nine.

The two maximums by Wolves with Musielak looking very quick after no bumps on turn one for a change to win heat ten showed a glimpse of what he can do. Freddie back on song in heat 11 with Ricky stuck at the back trying to pass Stead was followed by a 4-2 in the reserves with Blackbird having sorted out his bike issues.

Two more shared heats led to the final heat and Aces needing a 3-3 to gain a point but PK split them well and Freddie raced clear leaving Belle Vue empty handed after a decent match that bodes well for Wolves in future home matches and sends an alarm to Aces on away performances.

WOLVES; Benefitting from PK as a second string and also Ricky but even if they eventually move up, Jacob and Tobiasz will do likewise as second strings so nothing much will change and in Lewis and Josh they have a pairing that can score points so they may suprise a few if they can do it away from WV2

ACES; When they gated they were fine but an good start is nothing if they can't maintain it and Stefan Nielsen looks a concern away from home having now seen him here and at Coventry and a 5+1 at Kings Lynn was mainly scored beating Ashley Morris while Stead as a heat leader is inconsistant.

Wolves = 49

1. Freddie Lindgren

............0, 0, 3, 3, 3 = 9
2. Ricky Wells

............2, 3, 2', 0 = 7+1
3. Tobiasz Musielak

............R, 0, 3, 0 = 3
4. Peter Karlsson

............1, 2, 3, 3, 1 = 10
5. Jacob Thorssell

............3, 1, 2', 0 = 6+1
6. Lewis Blackbird

............1', 1, 3, 3 = 8+1
7. Josh Bates

............ 2, 3, 0, 1 = 6

Belle Vue = 41

1. Matej Zagar

............3, 3, 1, 2, 0 = 9
2. Max Fricke

............1, 2, 1', 0 = 4+1
3. Scott Nicholls

............2, 3, 2, 2, 2 = 11
4. Craig Cook

............2, 2', R, 1' = 5+2
5. Simon Stead

............1', 1, 1', 1' = 4+3
6. Steve Worrall

............3, 0, 2, 1, 2 = 8
7. Stefan Nielsen

............0, 0, 0 = 0

Regarding Stefan, surely 5+1 away from home achieved by mainly beating his opposite number is job done for a number seven? Not sure what else you expect!

Regarding Stefan, surely 5+1 away from home achieved by mainly beating his opposite number is job done for a number seven? Not sure what else you expect!

Agree esp when he's the 2nd tier reserve and was up against the highest ranked over all rider in Kerr

Just a thought.

In principle that's great, but those aren't the rules and you certainly won't see other teams doing such things... well, not the successful ones anyway!

I agree with the theory though.