British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Swindon V Lakeside Thur 9th April

As for decent races, I guess I am just harder to please than you.

Yes, I have noticed this.

• Like 2

Which meeting were you at? I thought that there was a decent amount of passing. To be honest it was lacking atmosphere but I think I was glad just to get a meeting through with no injuries, although Morris did his best to wipe out Nicholls-that young man needs to calm down a bit!

I thought the racing was ok, some decent tight races, but the track did seem hard to make a pass on, especially compared to the other meetings at blunsdon this season so far, where there's been plenty.

Don't think you can say Morris was too over eager, just was following Scott through on the inside underneath Lawson(?) and hit a sticky bit of track mid bend which caught a couple of others out early doors too.

Completely surreal hearing speedway fans of all people, moaning about the music being too old! I think you underestimate the taste of alot of today's 'yoof'. They're probably having pap like Jessie J and Taylor Swift rammed down their throats every second of the day...a bit of Deep Purple is probably light relief for a while! (I do say that with tounge slightly in cheek). The point I'm making is there is variety there which is what it should be...it's not a school disco and it's not a nursing home....play a bit of everything.

Atmosphere was probably on hindsight just down to being one of those classic early season meetings against a fairly non description opponent. Not much on the line yet and no great rivalry between the two teams.

• Like 1

Already intimated on this thread, but what a farce to have 4 non swindon riders in a Swindon team of 7 !

Ok injuries do happen - and unfortunate for Rosco to have so many at one time - but makes a supposedly

"Professional " sport look so pathetic and almost certainly ridicules any attempt to bring in new support

to replace the very aged supporter base that Speedway seems to attract these days.

The money grabbing BSPA members should be ashamed of themselves to allow the sport in general, yet again,

to be going through difficulties - they should be focusing on the major problems in the sport at their annual conference,

ahead of, new regulations such as concerning riders gardening at the start line for example.

You appear in the main, to be a total disgrace and show utter disrespect to the many hard working promoters since

1928 (excluding Stuart Bamforth !!)

I have a very tongue in cheek suggestion - why not approach The Disney Corporation for support, cus you doing a great job at promoting a Mickey Mouse attitude.

You are right about the music, though. I just don't understand why they have to play music from over 30 years ago.

Think you'l find thats Uncle Rosco'e era, nothing wrong with 80's stuff believe me.. ;)

Already intimated on this thread, but what a farce to have 4 non swindon riders in a Swindon team of 7 !

Ok injuries do happen - and unfortunate for Rosco to have so many at one time - but makes a supposedly

"Professional " sport look so pathetic and almost certainly ridicules any attempt to bring in new support

to replace the very aged supporter base that Speedway seems to attract these days.

The money grabbing BSPA members should be ashamed of themselves to allow the sport in general, yet again,

to be going through difficulties - they should be focusing on the major problems in the sport at their annual conference,

ahead of, new regulations such as concerning riders gardening at the start line for example.

You appear in the main, to be a total disgrace and show utter disrespect to the many hard working promoters since

I have a very tongue in cheek suggestion - why not approach The Disney Corporation for support, cus you doing a great job at promoting a Mickey Mouse attitude.

And still they garden!

Very surprised that this meeting went to a last heat decider. First away point of the season for Lakeside.

Well done to both teams

Hans Andersen on the gas

If Lakeside can't win away against a side tracking 4 guests you have to ask will they win away this season ? Then again Mark Lemon says in the Star preview that Lakeside will "travel well" commiserations to everyone at Belle Vue.

• Like 1

If Lakeside can't win away against a side tracking 4 guests you have to ask will they win away this season ? Then again Mark Lemon says in the Star preview that Lakeside will "travel well" commiserations to everyone at Belle Vue.

Sometimes the guests can be stronger than the rider they are guesting for.

• Like 1

Ok, 4,guests, for mostly injured riders..... What else could be done? And please don't say "squad system" would have covered this, because what and how do you pay the non riding squad members? Oh, of course, they ride elsewhere!!!

Guests are a required evil in Speedway..

• Like 1

Markyb - so what would you suggest when a side has 4 injured riders? A full second team of squad members willing to commit without any retainer or income guarantee? Put out 4 juniors?

• Like 3

You don't know how long the injured riders are going to be sidelined for so I guess you can't put off meetings until everyones fit again. The riders who aren't injured need to earn money on a regular basis & the fans wouldn't be happy if say a few weeks of home & away fixtures are cancelled because of missing riders. It's unusual for 4 to be missing but that's speedway & the show must go on.

Markyb - so what would you suggest when a side has 4 injured riders? A full second team of squad members willing to commit without any retainer or income guarantee? Put out 4 juniors?

Rarely with 4 guests !

Why not, it worked for Poole last year in the play offs and during the season.

Think Troy and Rose would have scored more than their replacement but Andersen definitely scored much more last night than Adrian would have that's for sure and Blackbird was much better than Wright with both Robins struggling so far.

Swindon rode well but credit has to also be given to Lakeside who up against a strengthened Swindon side, still took it to a last heat decider.

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 2

Think Troy and Rose would have scored more than their replacement but Andersen definitely scored much more last night than Adrian would have that's for sure and Blackbird was much better than Wright with both Robins struggling so far.

Swindon rode well but credit has to also be given to Lakeside who up against a strengthened Swindon side, still took it to a last heat decider.

It seems to be fashionable to blindly comment that Lakeside don't travel well (as we haven't been much good away from home in recent years) but I'm glad that some people can actually be realistic and see that overall Swindon weren't weaker with those guests and were arguably stronger, particularly with Hans putting in a true #1 performance.

I'm really pleased that the Hammers managed to get a point, and I don't think it'll be too long before we get some more on the road. I've said it quite a few times lately, but this team has been built to travel better this year - for some reason some people seem to ignore who is actually in the team and just assume that we'll be the same away from home this season. I don't think we're the strongest team on paper but we've taken some risks that could pay off.

• Like 5

Re atmosphere at the meeting, did those who are complaining make plenty of noise? There are too many people who just stand, watch and enjoy without outwardly showing emotion, MEN! It's all your fault as always ha

• Like 2