British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barrow boy

Leicester V Belle Vue Saturday 11.04.15

What is up with Simon Stead, this is not the first meeting he has not scored many points.

They need to get behind him. He started off slow last year with the Lions but came good in the end.

I don't believe this tosh about it being difficult at no.5 he was beating better riders in the World Cup last year.

Ok, Leicester's crowds are decent now but it won't take long before people get fed up

Crowd was down by a lot yesterday compared to the week before

Crowd was down by a lot yesterday compared to the week before

It was a local derby the week before and there was the pairs on TV last night which would have stopped a few from going. Not surprising the crowd was down on last week, but was still a decent turnout despite BV fielding an unnecessarily weak team (which gifted Lions the win).

• Like 1

Shocking from Stead. We actually did better than I thought. If I was Leicester I'd be more than a tad worried, because I think with Cook and Zagar last night BV would have won this meeting.

I rate this Leicester team, but I think the constant public bashing from Allen is having a negative impact.

What BV need to do in away meetings is move Stead to 3 and Scott to 5. It will make us a lot stronger. Whilst I'm dissapointed, I'm not overly concerned because I can see us winning all of our home meetings. I think we are only a switch in riding order away from home, from picking the odd point.

Edited by acef

Yes, pain in the neck with riders missing from the Belle Vue team, which was the reason I decided not to go, but no way would there have been as big a crowd as the week before anyway. I saved my money to to to Peterborough today instead but I have an idea it might be a bit cold in that grandstand. :lol:

Not as easy that thou as you are perming more than 2 riders ... your also got to perm a whole fixture list that has to include every team and every rider so it's fits in . No matter how you do it the moment you decide to ride at the weekend then this what is going to happen as it did with Eastie for the last few seasons .

Avoidance of clashes with Grand Prix dates has been often highlighted in terms of Leicester's fixture planning last season and this.

Fair enough, but that's only part of the story.

The fact is there are so many opportunities for the "top" riders to have a preferential commitment elsewhere on a Saturday/weekend, and there isn't a lot their clubs can do about it in most instances, especially with those riders who are not based in the UK. The UK-based riders seem to be much better when it comes to fulfilling weekend UK commitments, but only up to a point.

So unfortunately, the penny will drop, as it already has with many, that although a forthcoming fixtures at Leicester seem attractive, theres a fair chance the actual "product" will fall short of that.

Of course you'll always get some diehards who will show up even if the away team tracks 7 National League guests, but will those numbers be enough in the long run as the "floating" punters get more and more sceptical and spend their money and time on something else.

• Like 1

Zagar doesn't miss many matches at all and his commitment can't be faulted....he can't miss the Slovenian Championships so the question is why couldn't something be arranged to have this fixture on a date that doesn't clash...once again it's the fans that are short changed by incompetent planning.

I assume Leicester were quite happy to run without Zagar and Cook there as they had a better chance of winning...if so that's typical of speedway these days..short termism over giving entertainment to the fans and depriving them of seeing a GP star and a full strength team....speedway doesn't help itself sometimes.

• Like 1

Zagar doesn't miss many matches at all and his commitment can't be faulted....he can't miss the Slovenian Championships so the question is why couldn't something be arranged to have this fixture on a date that doesn't clash...once again it's the fans that are short changed by incompetent planning.

I assume Leicester were quite happy to run without Zagar and Cook there as they had a better chance of winning...if so that's typical of speedway these days..short termism over giving entertainment to the fans and depriving them of seeing a GP star and a full strength team....speedway doesn't help itself sometimes.

In fairness to Leicester, they wouldn't have known when the fixture list was made that there would be no Zagar and no guest for him. At that stage all that is required is for BV can make the fixture. BV only have to declare their team three days before and it's a bit late to do anything about it by then. It seems incredible that BV would agree to the fixture if they knew Zagar was unavailable, but we don't know whether that was due to incompetence or some other reason. The point is that Leicester can't just cancel a meeting at the drop of a hat because it will involve a financial loss. However it's not going to encourage the fans when this sort of thing happens. Ironically BV seem to have thrown a couple of league points away that might ultimately edge them out of the play offs.

The unavoidable fact is that the continental season makes things difficult for the domestic season and that is unlikely to change.

• Like 1

Anyway....

I think that it was a cracking meeting, Scott Nicholls was a real man on a mission, he certainly has sussed the track out, I throughly enjoyed it..

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 1

I assume Leicester were quite happy to run without Zagar and Cook there as they had a better chance of winning...if so that's typical of speedway these days..

Don't really see that ... the concern of anyone running a speedway team is that the money side is sorted first even before start thinking about winning or losing ....I doubt any home promoter is going to happy about a side missing two of it's star riders when they visit unless it's at the tail end of season when you have to win to get into the play offs .

What BV need to do in away meetings is move Stead to 3 and Scott to 5. It will make us a lot stronger. Whilst I'm dissapointed, I'm not overly concerned because I can see us winning all of our home meetings. I think we are only a switch in riding order away from home, from picking the odd point.

I'm missing something here. Numbers 3 & 5 ride together in two of their races so no change there. Number 3 then faces the oppositions number 1&5 then 3&4, whilst our number 5 faces their number 3&4 then 1&5.

I don't get how it makes us a lot stronger?

Can't for one moment understand what was wrong with Staed on Saturday he put in some tremendace meetings for the Lions last season. Maybe he was is just a bit rusty after the winter lay off. I think he will do far better for BV than he did at the weekend.

Even so he had some real bad meetings too, not sure what really happens to him when he fails to perform, bad bike set up, or just a bad mind set on the night.

Anyway....

I think that it was a cracking meeting, Scott Nicholls was a real man on a mission, he certainly has sussed the track out, I throughly enjoyed it..

Have to agree, I thought it was an excellent meeting on a well prepared track. Belle Vue certainly didn't go down without a fight & maybe the final score slightly flattered Lions. Nicholls was impressive & looked very quick. For Lions thought Walesek looked excellent for his paid 14.

• Like 1

Have to agree, I thought it was an excellent meeting on a well prepared track. Belle Vue certainly didn't go down without a fight & maybe the final score slightly flattered Lions. Nicholls was impressive & looked very quick. For Lions thought Walesek looked excellent for his paid 14.

Yes it did (score flatter)

I thought there was a fair amount of passing too, not because of rider mistakes, but riders actually using the banking, putting there bikes in the right place, and attacking the track.... A good advert for Speedway..

• Like 1

One has to wonder whether some promoters actually care about the teams they send to away fixtures.

Instead of wondering you could ask Belle Vue management why they agreed to the fixture without Zagar then publish their comments in Speedwáy Star so the fans are informed, and whether they really are bothered about the sort of away teams they field. After all isn't the essence of good journalism something to do with finding out both sides of the story instead of just "wondering" ?

• Like 2