British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

I find it quite hilarious that Woffinden supposedly reflects poorly on his generation and the sport now in terms of the way he presents himself.

I ask again, whats the worst he has done? Saturday night, anything else?

I mean it isnt like he is anywhere near the level of the halcyon days of jolly craicstars like Lee, Havelock, Carter, Moran, Cook and Schwartz back in the day when the sport was played out in such Corinthian spirits, days when men were great....

Or he could involve himself in some race fixing to really accelerate himself to the pantheon of greatness

Think its the 2nd time within a year that Woffinden has sworn into the mic during an interview at the GP.

Seems he hasn't learnt from that experience last year

Edited by New Science

Think its the 2nd time within a year that Woffinden has sworn into the mic during an interview at the GP.

It says it all when that is all you can come up with!

Surely the whole point is not that he chose to swear, we can all judge why that might be, but that it was at the flagship event of the Speedway World Championship and witnessed by, albeit a small bunch, the sporting media from across the interested world. In that context, if one person is offended then I think that is damaging (people can argue what real impact it may have) and not how a World Champion should conduct himself in that situation.

• Like 1

Well when you put it like that......

Nah still represents the sport quite well and done far more good than two swears

• Like 1

Surely the whole point is not that he chose to swear, we can all judge why that might be, but that it was at the flagship event of the Speedway World Championship and witnessed by, albeit a small bunch, the sporting media from across the interested world. In that context, if one person is offended then I think that is damaging (people can argue what real impact it may have) and not how a World Champion should conduct himself in that situation.

You're right, swearing signals the end of any sport.

I remember when I was a lad watching a tennis championship that was quite popular back then, until a foul mouth by the name of McEnroe came along. That was it, the media shunned the sport, tv companies turned away. As for McEnroe, not a chance of being employed in any public role going forwards.

Shame really, I enjoyed that tournament, was it called Wimbledon?

• Like 1

You're right, swearing signals the end of any sport.

I remember when I was a lad watching a tennis championship that was quite popular back then, until a foul mouth by the name of McEnroe came along. That was it, the media shunned the sport, tv companies turned away. As for McEnroe, not a chance of being employed in any public role going forwards.

Shame really, I enjoyed that tournament, was it called Wimbledon?

He paid dearly for his behaviour though. You're right that he was box office but 99.9% of people have never heard of Tai.

He paid dearly for his behaviour though. You're right that he was box office but 99.9% of people have never heard of Tai.

Paid dearly?

Explain.... is he destitute? On the streets?

Paid dearly?

Explain.... is he destitute? On the streets?

At the time he had fines and was banned from membership at Wimbledon and I think Queens. Look at some of the fines imposed at Wimbledon this year for abusive behaviour.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/57000-in-fines-doled-out-to-players-at-this-years-wimbledon-a3287971.html

Look at some of the fines imposed at Wimbledon this year for abusive behaviour.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/57000-in-fines-doled-out-to-players-at-this-years-wimbledon-a3287971.html

So they get fined a lot more for banging the racquet on the floor than they do for swearing.

The biggest fine for swearing was for Nick Kyrgios.....probably the most talked about young player in the world!

Dyslexia is a reading difficulty not an intelligence difficulty. Some of the most successful authors ever, from Jules Verne to Agatha Christie suffered from dyslexia, but it didn't stop them writing classic books that reached wide audiences.

Tai used an expletive because that's the way he speaks, that's all there is to it. Some people find it unnecessary others are happy with expletives but it's ridiculous to try to explain it as some kind of social change or set out what's right or wrong .

Language/vocabulary difficulties can be a secondary affect.

Anyway, did I say dyslexia? I meant tourettes! :D

So they get fined a lot more for banging the racquet on the floor than they do for swearing.

The biggest fine for swearing was for Nick Kyrgios.....probably the most talked about young player in the world!

Nick Kyrigos is talked about more for his bad behaviour than the quality of his tennis..

Nick Kyrigos is talked about more for his bad behaviour than the quality of his tennis..

exactly my point.

Nor has several of the riders who are heard swearing regularly and being apologised for on live TV.

Bob Geldof is still seen as a legend to many thru his campaigning work yet still swears live on TV to get a point across.

Nor has several of the riders who are heard swearing regularly and being apologised for on live TV.

Bob Geldof is still seen as a legend to many thru his campaigning work yet still swears live on TV to get a point across.

So what point was tai trying to make ?

Bob is hardly are role model either

in the past 10 years, who would be your ideal speedway role module Robert?