British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

The feudal system was abolished years ago - no-one is obliged to work indefinitely for whom they were originally apprenticed, nor even work in their country of birth.

Equally, British speedway shouldn't bend over backwards to pay money it can't afford, or race on days that are uneconomic to accommodate supposed superstars.

• Like 1

The feudal system was abolished years ago - no-one is obliged to work indefinitely for whom they were originally apprenticed, nor even work in their country of birth.

Equally, British speedway shouldn't bend over backwards to pay money it can't afford, or race on days that are uneconomic to accommodate supposed superstars.

Race on days that are uneconomic!

Hahaha!

That's precisely what they are doing now.

Race on days that are uneconomic!

Hahaha!

That's precisely what they are doing now.

Well, race on days that are even more uneconomic...

Well, race on days that are even more uneconomic...

They wouldn't be if it was run and promoted in the correct way.. but that's another debate.

• Like 1

They wouldn't be if it was run and promoted in the correct way.. but that's another debate.

The fact of the matter is there will always be more preferable days on which to run speedway regardless of whether it's promoted properly or not, and this will differ from track to track. Top-flight British speedway could likely settle on just couple of race days if were determined, but the point is that if Fridays or Saturdays are the best night on which to run British speedway, then it should run those nights rather than worry about fitting around the requirements of specific riders.

Frankly though, I think the best promoter in the world would struggle to sell speedway in its current state. It needs substantial investment in stadia, presentation and format, but the sport is of such minor interest nowadays, who with the money is going to touch it with a bargepole?

The sport either needs someone to buy (let's say) 8 tracks and run the whole thing in a standardised way with centrally contracted riders, or reverting to an amateur/subsistence level running with much cheaper costs and trying to rebuild from the grassroots.

The fact of the matter is there will always be more preferable days on which to run speedway regardless of whether it's promoted properly or not, and this will differ from track to track. Top-flight British speedway could likely settle on just couple of race days if were determined, but the point is that if Fridays or Saturdays are the best night on which to run British speedway, then it should run those nights rather than worry about fitting around the requirements of specific riders.

Frankly though, I think the best promoter in the world would struggle to sell speedway in its current state. It needs substantial investment in stadia, presentation and format, but the sport is of such minor interest nowadays, who with the money is going to touch it with a bargepole?

The sport either needs someone to buy (let's say) 8 tracks and run the whole thing in a standardised way with centrally contracted riders, or reverting to an amateur/subsistence level running with much cheaper costs and trying to rebuild from the grassroots.

I hope your'e not suggesting that we don't bend over backwards and run British speedway for the benefit of a few foreign riders , or Gp riders who need bread and butter earnings in between Gps . because that would be racist and xenophobic .

I don't think that that was the way that Humphry ment it to come over. What he was getting at is that maybe the only way for British speedway to be able to continue, is to go back to how it was many years ago with riders being mearly of amatuer status, with no big money being paid out for top riders.

Bring the entrance fee down, have teams of British riders, may not be what people would think is the best for British speedway to go, but at the moment it is dying on its heels.

I can see something along these lines happenening in a few years time unless the promoters start to get their act together.

Poor stadiums, over paid riders and entrance fees that are to high for the product they are giving us.

There must be an anser, before all is lost.

• Like 1

I don't think that that was the way that Humphry ment it to come over. What he was getting at is that maybe the only way for British speedway to be able to continue, is to go back to how it was many years ago with riders being mearly of amatuer status, with no big money being paid out for top riders.

Bring the entrance fee down, have teams of British riders, may not be what people would think is the best for British speedway to go, but at the moment it is dying on its heels.

I can see something along these lines happenening in a few years time unless the promoters start to get their act together.

Poor stadiums, over paid riders and entrance fees that are to high for the product they are giving us.

There must be an anser, before all is lost.

I dont think you Understood the tone of my post . obviously you haven't read the posts earlier in the thread ,

I dont think you Understood the tone of my post . obviously you haven't read the posts earlier in the thread ,

Or the majority of your previous posts. :)

NZ (and Aus/SA) do allow a few players a year to play abroad and still play for their country (should they be picked). There are conditions though like being available for their country and training camps if needed.

Sorry, but that’s simply not true. A handful of elite All Blacks (notably Dan Carter) have been allowed a season in Europe, and then been selected for the All Blacks upon completion of the sdabbatical. Others, such as SBW, Troy Flavel and Jerome Kaino, have had overseas stints and played their way back into the All Blacks upon their return to NZ domestic rugby. But no All Black has been selected in recent times while playing club rugby overseas. Notably, It’s why Carl Hayman wasn’t selected for the Abs after moving to France, despite being arguably the best prop in the world during that time, and why Nick Evans wasn’t called up to the All Blacks when Dan Carter got injured heading into the 2011 world cup, despite the Abs dearth of no 10s at that time.

That said, to repeat, it would be ludicrous for GB not to pick Tai. TBh, I think they should be really trying to get Scotty Nicholls to come out of retirement, Tai, Nicholls and Bomber would be competitive as a top three with any nation on current form. With Aussie missing Ward, GB should be targetting a top 3 finish this year.

He is that dedicated to the sport of speedway and representing his country at world level, that he has stated that he will not race in the pairs meeting, because he has practice in Poland and also a meeting with the mayor.

Some dedication but to which country.

He is that dedicated to the sport of speedway and representing his country at world level, that he has stated that he will not race in the pairs meeting, because he has practice in Poland and also a meeting with the mayor.

Which bit about contractual obligations don't you get?

http://speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.28765

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 4

Tai doesn't really get a say in the matter though if his polish club says your not riding in the pairs your practicing with us thats what he is doing.

If it was a FIM event though he would of been in Denmark as the poles woldn't get a say in the matter.

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 5

Tai doesn't really get a say in the matter though if his polish club says your not riding in the pairs your practicing with us thats what he is doing.

If it was a FIM event though he would of been in Denmark as the poles woldn't get a say in the matter.

Spot on & totally correct on your post