British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

John Cook Talks A Lot Of Sense

promoters are the problem! promoters decide the rules , promoters bend the rules , promoters use the rules to there own teams advantage to the detriment of the sport,

independant ruling body is needed,

A STRONG independent body is needed - one with the cojones to upset individual promoters for the greater good

• Like 4

Sadly, here we go again. We know the sport is dying, but those with a vested interest just plod along hoping for the best.

What other sport in the World can you still get away with cheating? It would be so simple to stop these rolling starts, but nothing has ever been done. Obviously that's just one of many things wrong with the sport, but others have mentioned those.

I consider myself to be a keen follower, next few weeks I'll be at Veenoord, Riga, Diedenbergen and Sibiu, but apart from popping up the road to Foxhall, I certainly don't bother with any other Speedway in this Country anymore, and even that is trying my patience these days.

• Like 1

Re the guest situation, somehow a better fixture list needs to be sorted, I guess they use some sort of computer programme which doesn't really cut the mustard! I would definitely approach SCB about the programme he has written.

There are so many issues that could be dealt with better, most definitely the promoters need to listen and read.

It's not about using a computer programme, it's about taking the right meetings into account.

Belle Vue had two riders missing last night due to World U21 commitments. Clearly World U21 meetings weren't taken into account when producing the fixtures because Lakeside hadn't had a home meeting for three weeks and Belle Vue had no other Friday fixtures in May so there were plenty of opportunities to hold this meeting when riders were available.

• Like 1

It's not about using a computer programme, it's about taking the right meetings into account.

Belle Vue had two riders missing last night due to World U21 commitments. Clearly World U21 meetings weren't taken into account when producing the fixtures because Lakeside hadn't had a home meeting for three weeks and Belle Vue had no other Friday fixtures in May so there were plenty of opportunities to hold this meeting when riders were available.

No meeting for the last couple of weeks due to the SGP. Definitely needed a meeting last night, else massive gap in fixtures

Impossible to predict who's going to be in the U-21's, turned out Nielsen & Fricke were selected! Stead in original declaration would've been present

Only Cook was originally going to miss this meeting

Look at the club's website! And apologise to Jon Cook perhaps

I didn't make myself clear.

My "complaint" was that in the digital age, Mr Cook decided to publish first in print (his programme) a week after the event took place.

The report to which you refer is welcome but has a publication date of May 29. Why the delay?

There surely can be no reason why that report could not have been written and published within 24 hours of the meeting - at the latest.

Young people get their information from their mobile phones: ALL speedway clubs should remember this.

Mr Cook's article could well have gone in the programme last night but there seems no reason whatsoever that in 2015 it was not published online first.

No meeting for the last couple of weeks due to the SGP. Definitely needed a meeting last night, else massive gap in fixtures

Impossible to predict who's going to be in the U-21's, turned out Nielsen & Fricke were selected! Stead in original declaration would've been present

Only Cook was originally going to miss this meeting

Fricke won the Aus U21s, so it wouldn't take a massive leap to realise he'd be in the World U21 qualifiers.

As for Lakeside having no meetings due to the GPs, that's fair enough, but is an away team with four guests really going to bring in the crowds?

• Like 2

Young people get their information from their mobile phones: ALL speedway clubs should remember this.

Have you seen the average age of the speedway support? Perhaps the sport hasn't lost popularity, as many suggest, perhaps fans have all popped their clogs.

Edited by moxey63

Have you seen the average age of the speedway support? Perhaps the sport hasn't lost popularity, as many suggest, perhaps fans have all popped their clogs.

Exactly that. The sports panders to the oldies. It plays old music, it's lets old people in for less, the presenters are meetings are generally in their 50s or 60s. Everything is about how things used to be done. The sport needs a kick up the arse to modernise itself - it doesn't need rules for that!

Would have a lot more sympathy for Cook's views if he was a newcomer to the sport, rather than someone who has been at the centre of the BSPA's decision making process for the past few years.

Last night's meeting at Lakeside a good example of what a shambles the sport has become.

• Like 5

one of the best topics ever to hit this website. the horse has gone, so lets put the bolt in !

Actually Jon Cook must be as thick as two short planks.

To 'reveal' that fans at the public meeting had expressed a wish for more frequent meetings.

When he is the promoter of a club that is only able to put on one farcical challenge match, masquerading as a League fixture, in a five week span.

And the guy heeds to be told that by others !

And to have the report trailed and anticipated as some sort of Gettysburg address.
Give me strength

He is as culpable as all the other promoters in all the ills and yet he is portraying himself as some sort of evangelist for change.

Me thinks Jon lives in Cook-Koo land.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

IN the lakeside programme there is a list of email addresses for each person who works at the club,which is a great idea but ive sent emails suggesting things in the past and only mr sexton has taken the trouble to reply.Jon cook NO replies!!.Ive emailed Jon a number of times with varoius suggestions one being a 13 Heat format,but also have a second half of the meeting that counts towards league points,ie a series of match races or another 4 heats that will keep the fans involved again right to the end if LEAGUE POINTS are again advailable in the second half of the meeting.It might be a crazy idea on my part but to have no feedback from mr cook is very frustrating. I have to say Mark sexton is very good with fans on varoius points ,but when it comes to league racing and people who might be able to change things like mr cook you get nothing back,thats why i think the latest reach out to fans after all these years is aload of rubbish.

Edited by speedwaysliders

Exactly that. The sports panders to the oldies. It plays old music, it's lets old people in for less, the presenters are meetings are generally in their 50s or 60s. Everything is about how things used to be done. The sport needs a kick up the arse to modernise itself - it doesn't need rules for that!

It does need modernising... but then you force alienating the oldies, folk that have grown tired of much of rhat it offers already.

By all means, try to encourage the younger brigade through... but I expect not to be stampeded down in the rush.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

A mixed reaction as expected. A few saying JC says one thing then does the opposite etc. he is part of the problem etc.

JC is but one member of the promoters' club (BSPA) - if not sufficient others believe in his ideas/proposals then they will not happen - is that his fault?

Jon wanted Hammers' fans to get the detail of the Fans Forum prior to general release and posting on the Club's website (as happened later), would have circumvented that desire. Was he right to do it this way, opinions may differ but it was his choice.

As one who attended the Forum, it was clear that there are elements within BSPA who are not 'forward/greater picture looking' and that JC is banging his head against a brick wall (outvoted) etc when trying effect meaningful change. I certainly got the impression he is just as frustrated as many of the fans.

To both his, and the Lakeside promotions' credit, he does at least put himself up to engaging with fans in an open and constructive way.

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 1

A mixed reaction as expected. A few saying JC says one thing then does the opposite etc. he is part of the problem etc.

JC is but one member of the promoters' club (BSPA) - if not sufficient others believe in his ideas/proposals then they will not happen - is that his fault?

Jon wanted Hammers' fans to get the detail of the Fans Forum prior to general release and posting on the Club's website (as happened later), would have circumvented that desire. Was he right to do it this way, opinions may differ but it was his choice.

As one who attended the Forum, it was clear that there are elements within BSPA who are not 'forward/greater picture looking' and that JC is banging his head against a brick wall (outvoted) etc when trying effect meaningful change. I certainly got the impression he is just as frustrated as many of the fans.

To both his, and the Lakeside promotions' credit, he does at least put himself up to engaging with fans in an open and constructive way.

Did he give an example of a specific area where he was outvoted?