British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Greg Hancock

I think the bottom line is that Greg was lucky to escape a ban...

And he doesn't get an easy ride from the others...

And the British Grand Prix should be a cracker!!!

• Like 1

I think the bottom line is that Greg was lucky to escape a ban...

And he doesn't get an easy ride from the others...

And the British Grand Prix should be a cracker!!!

Been much worse fights in speedway and no ban issued, just a fine on night and all is forgotten hopefully !

I'm amazed at some of the peoples defense for NP on here. I haven't attacked him personally just stated fact about what he's done to others. Justifying what he's done previously to others with 'well they've all done it too' is ridiculous & doesn't make it right. And none of them have anywhere near the amount of incidents NPs had. I mean thats just obvious lol!

Edited by RPNYC

Greg is respected simple as, Nicki unless he cleans up his riding will not be !

Not anymore.

I always respected Greg, but I never really got excited by him at the tapes, a fairly boring rider in that he rode, but I don't really recall him racing (other than the night Harris won the GP at Cardiff). But, despite not being a fan of his style on track I respected his professionalism. Until last night.

What I find hard to accept is so many people are sycophants defending Greg because it was Nicki and not condemning his post crash actions (even if they understand why he did it). Greg's action was unacceptable, end of.

Been much worse fights in speedway and no ban issued, just a fine on night and all is forgotten hopefully !

It wasn't a fight though. Greg launched at Nicki when Nicki was still riding his bike. Not exactly easy for Nicki to put his hands up to defend himself at that point.

• Like 5

There is a lot of nonsense being talked here about who knocked who off and who rides hard against who and who doesn't.

I saw real hard men (not preening pansies like Nicki Pedersen) such as 'Mad' (the clue is in the name) Jack Millen, Arthur Browning and Vaclav Verner ride speedway and they rode hard and courted lots of controversy BUT that was a wild period when riders were part time and drank after meetings with fans and even got into fights with them.

We have left all that behind in favour of a more professional sport with full time riders racing all over Europe AND what Greg did cannot be tolerated. If the next person who does that kills a rider or puts him in a wheelchair then the blame rest solely with whoever decided to give Greg a paltry fine.

As someone said Richard Hall was banned for kicking a prone Josh Auty and rightly so. Greg's crime was worse than that.

As The Return said in the most sensible post on this thread.

The WHO does not matter a damn just the WHAT!

But I firmly believe that this was not applied when Greg got a tiny fine. Greg has a good reputation and is a really nice man and before this a credit to the sport.

This I believe stood in his favour and it should not have.

What if a rider was behind Nicki when Greg went insane and injured one of them or was injured themselves?

Of course it did not happen but Greg never looked to see anyway and just went full on mental.

A BAN is the only punishment that should have been considered and only then should previous good conduct be applied to the length of the ban.

A couple of weeks would send a message a couple of months even more to both the culprit and anyone else who wants to jump on Nicki Pedersen's bike while he is sitting on it.

Greg committed a really serious offence instead of the time honoured tradition of waiting till the rider dismounts and then giving a good thumping.

Nicki Pedersen is a cowardly d#ckhead but Greg Hancock in this case was a lot worse :(

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 2

Not anymore.I always respected Greg, but I never really got excited by him at the tapes, a fairly boring rider in that he rode, but I don't really recall him racing (other than the night Harris won the GP at Cardiff). But, despite not being a fan of his style on track I respected his professionalism. Until last night.What I find hard to accept is so many people are sycophants defending Greg because it was Nicki and not condemning his post crash actions (even if they understand why he did it). Greg's action was unacceptable, end of. It wasn't a fight though. Greg launched at Nicki when Nicki was still riding his bike. Not exactly easy for Nicki to put his hands up to defend himself at that point.

The problem is most people cannot take the personalities out of it. If it were any other two riders the reactions in the majority of cases would be completely different.

• Like 1

And yes even though I fully understand why he did what he did, Greg should receive a more severe punishment for this btw..

Not anymore.

I always respected Greg, but I never really got excited by him at the tapes, a fairly boring rider in that he rode, but I don't really recall him racing (other than the night Harris won the GP at Cardiff). But, despite not being a fan of his style on track I respected his professionalism. Until last night.

What I find hard to accept is so many people are sycophants defending Greg because it was Nicki and not condemning his post crash actions (even if they understand why he did it). Greg's action was unacceptable, end of.

Nobody can say it was acceptable but you have to say that you can understand why it occurred in heat of the moment !!!! I don't think you can lose all respect for Greg because of one incident unlike Nicki who is guilty of bad incidents over and over again.

Greg is definitely not boring on track and seen him have many entertaining races and as you pointed out the night Harris won was one of them.

Greg committed a really serious offence instead of the time honoured tradition of waiting till the rider dismounts and then giving a good thumping.

I just typed something similar myself actually crossing your post, you have written much more succinctly.

• Like 1

Nobody is defending him, read the posts again. We are all in agreement Nicki rides hard and sometimes over the line of what is acceptable. But what some people are trying to get thickos to understand is other riders do it too, not just Nicki.

you lose all respect for your post when you insult people ! try again.

• Like 1

What a load of rubbish. I don't wish any rider would break their neck, that's clearly not what I was implying. I would far prefer that Nicki Pedersen, a rider who has shown time and time again that he values winning far more than the safety of his fellow riders, to break his own neck than to break the neck of another innocent rider. IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME.

This sport is high speed and dangerous enough at the best of times. If Nicki continues doing things like this, week in and week out, then it is not a matter of if but a matter of when another much loved and well respected rider is killed.

It's not a big game. You only have to look at the crash that killed Lee Richardson to see how easy a life is taken by this sport. It is not an exaggeration. We don't need scumbags like Nicki Pedersen ramping those odds up day in and day out. There is no element of safety control in these kinds of manoeuvres! Nicki cannot foresee how the rider will land, or what part of his body will take the damage. It is purely luck that he hasn't killed or disabled somebody sooner.

A quote by John F Kennedy sums it up very well: "There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction."

When that day comes, which I sincerely hope it will not, each and every supporter and official who justified his actions and allowed him to continue racing in this manner will have blood on their hands. So yes, I reiterate my original point, I would rather Nicki break his own neck than somebody elses, and I have no shame saying it.

I have not defended Nicki's actions, in fact he blocked me on Twitter following my reaction to the Zagar incident.

And yet again you have to bring the name of a much missed rider into it.

I have stood at a track and watched a rider get killed in front of me, so don't try and lecture me on the dangers of the sport.

you lose all respect for your post when you insult people ! try again.

Nope, I think I was right the first time.

What a load of rubbish. I don't wish any rider would break their neck, that's clearly not what I was implying.

But is it not what you typed?

Lets be fair, 'he didn't hydrate properly', 'Have you never made a mistake'. etc

Awaiting comment from Middlo. :D

• Like 1

Greg has hardly had any problems from other riders due to his excelant starts, he is way infront and left the others standing, that is what has won him so many races in his life time. I think now that he is getting older his reaction times are that bit slower and he is now mixing it umonst the other riders, so he is now having to race much harder to get a win, most times he is now in second or third place, his bikes seem much slower or is it just Gregg not sure.

With all that said Nikki rides like a lunatic at times, some of the moves he makes the other riders are very lucky to not have been taken of on a streacher, seen him so many times with riders getting to the point of fisty cuffs with him. One day he will go to far with the dirty moves he makes. I don't think he has the respect from any of the top riders.

Just hope that if he fences a rider one gay that it dosen't end that riders career, they race for the love of racing and don't need to put their lives at risk because some idiot can't seem to care one bgit about the other people on the track, at times he races like he is the only person out there. He is a danger on 2 wheels.

They have to put a stop to riders fencing other riders before something nasty happens, it is getting worse year by year. saw some hard racing in the 60's 70's and 80's but evn so the riders had more repect for the others on the track, can't say Nikki gives a toss about who he tries to fence on more than one occasion.

I'm aware that he once rode for Poole and I've nothing against Poole, Matt Ford or that Middlo but 'Should get at least three years ban'.

Deja Vu.

Edited by pugwash
  • Like 1