British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Greg Hancock

I think it was right to exclude NP for fencing GH.

Nicki knew very well greg was there, he had gone under a wide riding Greg. Knowing he was there I feel he is obliged to leave room.

I was pleased when the pole, was it Pawlicki snr, was excluded after the race for clashed with the Rusian coming out of the bend too.

And I feel Sundstrom should have been excluded for taking the other Russian into the fence which caused Hample to fall and break his leg.

I cant remember such deliberate fencing in the 60's and 70's, nothing like now I'm sure.

Recall Emils injury that took him out of the 2013 GP season. Think it was Medinski at Torun. He knew Emil was there, took him out of the meeting and season with serious injuries.

I know the throttle works both ways and it surely has to be closed if you catching someone and the gap closes when the rider in front doesnt know you coming.

I know its a fine line, but with modern technology it doesnt take too long to get different shots of whats happened.

I cant remember such deliberate fencing in the 60's and 70's, nothing like now I'm sure.

The worst I can remember was between Mike Lohmann and Mick McKeon at Hyde Road in the 70's. I can't recall who did what first but the other rider retaliated on the next bend and they both ended up in the fence. This is one crash that has stuck in my mind because it was obviously a deliberate fencing attempt but he must have got it all wrong as they both ended up injured. :neutral:

Lucky Greg wasn't in that meeting as it would of been too tough for him ;)

Indeed, poor little Greg. I suppose the Star will be painting him as the victim this week.

• Like 1

The worst I can remember was between Mike Lohmann and Mick McKeon at Hyde Road in the 70's. I can't recall who did what first but the other rider retaliated on the next bend and they both ended up in the fence. This is one crash that has stuck in my mind because it was obviously a deliberate fencing attempt but he must have got it all wrong as they both ended up injured. :neutral:

The rumours were that there had been an argument in the pits beforehand but I don't know if it was fact or rumour.....I was at the meeting and it happened so fast that I have no idea whether Mick McKeon deliberately fenced Mike Lohmann but I do know it was definitely one of the worst crashes I've ever seen and Lohmann hit the fence like a rag doll..it was horrible......Lohmann wasn't far off dying in that crash and I remember him months later and he was so frail and skinny after losing so much weight in recovery........he did come back riding for Belle Vue but he was a shadow of himself really so that crash definitely finished his career really.

The rumours were that there had been an argument in the pits beforehand but I don't know if it was fact or rumour.....I was at the meeting and it happened so fast that I have no idea whether Mick McKeon deliberately fenced Mike Lohmann but I do know it was definitely one of the worst crashes I've ever seen and Lohmann hit the fence like a rag doll..it was horrible......Lohmann wasn't far off dying in that crash and I remember him months later and he was so frail and skinny after losing so much weight in recovery........he did come back riding for Belle Vue but he was a shadow of himself really so that crash definitely finished his career really.

That was actually in May 1980.

My memory of the incident was that Mikael Lohmann was blamed on the terraces for the incident, particularly by the Halifax fans.

Their anger being largely tempered by the horrific injuries Mikael suffered and his previous 'Duke' status.

I thought it was subsequently understood that his footrest had broken causing him to 'straighten' up and 'spear' McKeon a-midships.

Not really 'fencing' at all.

There was a feature on this in a recent Backtrack edition

The most blatant fencing I have seen is by Matej Zagar on Buzz Burrows at Monmore.

Zagar gated, then slowed on the back straight, looking for Buzz to come on the outside and as he did, then flung his back wheel sideways catapulting Buzz over/through the back straight fence. Buzz was carted off in the ambulance with a suspected broken leg. Anyone there that night would know how despicable and blatant it was.

In Zagars next heat he was outside Sam Ermolenko. I will leave you to work out where Sam took him.

• Like 1

I wouldnt like to have hit the Belle Vue fence with any force never mind at full belt. Solid as a rock.

I know there is some 'debate' about what fencing means (well according to one back tracker) but the one incident that sticks in my mind was at Sheffield between Matousek and Nagy. According to the referee that night it was not deliberate because Matousek was not excluded from the re-run. Those Long Eaton fans there that night and who had been at Station Road the night before when the two clashed would have a different view on the exclusion. Was it deliberate, only one man knows but I know what I think.

Edited by TheReturn

The most blatant fencing I have seen is by Matej Zagar on Buzz Burrows at Monmore.

Zagar gated, then slowed on the back straight, looking for Buzz to come on the outside and as he did, then flung his back wheel sideways catapulting Buzz over/through the back straight fence. Buzz was carted off in the ambulance with a suspected broken leg. Anyone there that night would know how despicable and blatant it was.

In Zagars next heat he was outside Sam Ermolenko. I will leave you to work out where Sam took him.

[/this is a bit of an eye opener for anybody oblivious to either incident like myself , both by two of nicki Pedersen's biggest critics .quote]

I know there is some 'debate' about what fencing means (well according to one back tracker) but the one incident that sticks in my mind was at Sheffield between Matousek and Nagy. According to the referee that night it was not deliberate because Matousek was not excluded from the re-run. Those Long Eaton fans there that night and who had been at Station Road the night before when the two clashed would have a different view on the exclusion. Was it deliberate, only one man knows but I know what I think.

I've come across something involving roman matousek before on the forum and I thought that was Sheffield v long eaton only it was written then that he deliberately rode over and badly injured an already fallen rider ?

sorry about adding to someone's post instead of just answering them my computer has done this once before.

To clarify, Zagars move was an utterly despicable one, designed to cause injury.

Sam was simply very very hard, he didn't actually fence him, Zagar bottled out sharpish. It was more of a warning and fully deserved.

The Dean Machine I am sure remembers it, indeed he may even have been riding that night.

I remember Ben Howe fencing (of all people) Ronnie Pedersan in 1995.

Came out of gate 3 never turned left, into the solid wood fence Ronnie went. Wasnt the nicest thing to see...

Edited by RPNYC

I remember Ben Howe fencing (of all people) Ronnie Pedersan in 1995.

Came out of gate 3 never turned left, into the solid wood fence Ronnie went. Wasnt the nicest thing to see...

Ronni Pedersen made his brother look like an angel!

To clarify, Zagars move was an utterly despicable one, designed to cause injury.

Sam was simply very very hard, he didn't actually fence him, Zagar bottled out sharpish. It was more of a warning and fully deserved.

The Dean Machine I am sure remembers it, indeed he may even have been riding that night.

I wasn't there so can't comment on the incident but have spoken with Buzz about it since. He said that in an earlier heat he had hit a rut causing him to run into Matej. A total accident and as I understand nobody fell. Based on what he then said it seems he wasn't as badly injured by the incident as he could have been but his bike was more or less written off.

Buzz's take was that he'd rather have been punched in the face as it would have saved him loads of money.

Mind you, taking this thread further off topic, you do have to question the blinkered attitude of many British fans. Zagar has a terrible ego but away from speedway is a nice and helpful guy and his PR and media relationships are good for the sport so I have no personal dislike of him..

However in a last heat at Reading v Sheffield match on every lap as Andre Compton was going round the outside of him on the bends he literally was driving into him; forcing him into fence and making him slow down drastically. On the last bend of the last lap though Andre got the drive out wide and blasted through on the inside to take the heat. A superb piece of riding with a clean pass and no toys out of the pram, owing to the earlier attempts to fence him. Never heard so many boos or threats of violence by fans towards a rider, and towards us for applauding him.

Borrowing the blinkers for a second Greg Hancock was definitely not there on the night of the alleged incident so has no case to answer :nono:

Lol!

Are you seriously suggesting a rider or riders have been talking about deliberately putting a rider in the fence? I doubt even pedersen sets out to put anyone 'in the fence', I'm convinced he actually blames the other rider for being there and not getting out of his way. The finger wagging suggests he blames the victim for the crash.

There is an element of brinkmanship involved on the track and sometimes it can get close to actual dirty riding, virtually every rider has misjudged a situation and caused a crash. Pedersen doesn't bother with brinkmanship he just cuts to the chase and bollox to the consequences.

Jimmy Liddell would do a great reconstruction of the incident and yell out he's not Avin That!

I can remember a heat at oxford in 85/86 the heat was started 3 times and 3 times Neil Evitts ran Jens Rasmussen into the fence, after the 3rd time all hell broke lose, the following season Jens (lovely person) was riding for Ipswich against Neil Evitts side , Jens tapped Neil on the shoulder and said to him any funny stuff and your in trouble and Neil Evitts had areal quiet meeting.

Jens was a lovely person and my god he was incredibly strong but a true gent