British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robert72

Leicester V Swindon Mon 29th June Sky Match

Think I can help you there.

EL promoters agreed a contract in about 2009 which effectively handed control of track preparation to GSI for all Sky broadcast matches. This was part of the overall contract covering such matches, and has remained in effect even after the expiry of the more substantial sponsorship deal with Sky a couple of years ago.

Last season the BP track for the live match was prepared in such a way that made it dangerous in my opinion - in an effort to produce incidents. This year it was probably not quite as dangerous but still doctored so as to produce incidents, which it did and it was again fortunate that no rider was seriously injured. I am sure that if Glyn Taylor had been in full control of prep, riders would not have been slithering and bouncing around looking like novices at times!

But I thought that happened whether Sky/GSI are there or not!!!? :shock::wink:

• Like 2

Robert72- Sky do not mind filming at Leicester but the matches that can be shown are quite limited due to the lighting not being up to the correct levels. In fact they are made very welcome unlike some places

So limited to just showing matches when the evenings are the longest if Leicester had a good season and made the playoffs in September/ October then extra lighting would need to be be hired in for the occasion even last night in the last few heats the engineering team were struggling with the light and had to use some digital image stabilisers to keep pics looking ok.

Don't be too surprised though if you see another meeting from Leicester in a few weeks though as another fixture is looking like another good possible TV match

I am not sure I buy into your reasons why sky haven't been to Leicester earlier due to poor floodlights,Swindons are imho a lot worse,belle vue,lakeside too,also can't remember Wolverhampton being any brighter.

Why have sky not shown Leicester away from home yet either, not bright enough team kevlars ?

I think there is more to it as several premier league team have had more coverage on sky than Leicester.

Edited by robert72

Robert72- It is fact about the lighting at Leicester and if you watch any of the Clean cut sports DVDs or the footage Sky did at EL riders final you will see the reason why especially bends 2 & 4. I know David Hemsley has looked at upgrading the lighting to the correct Lumen levels but would cost around 10-15k to do which for maybe two more Sky meetings not worth it at the min:

With regards to away fixtures it does not help that Leicester have struggled both seasons in the EL but as I said previously there is a good possibility that Sky will be back at Leicester in Aug

I am not sure I buy into your reasons why sky haven't been to Leicester earlier due to poor floodlights,Swindons are imho a lot worse,belle vue,lakeside too,also can't remember Wolverhampton being any brighter.

Why have sky not shown Leicester away from home yet either, not bright enough team kevlars ?

I think there is more to it as several premier league team have had more coverage on sky than Leicester.

Who are these 'several PL teams'??? Name and shame I say!! :rofl:

LOL one fact I can tell you is gospeed sky or big Ron not one of them tell the track man how to prep the track!........

Think I can help you there.

EL promoters agreed a contract in about 2009 which effectively handed control of track preparation to GSI for all Sky broadcast matches. This was part of the overall contract covering such matches, and has remained in effect even after the expiry of the more substantial sponsorship deal with Sky a couple of years ago.

Last season the BP track for the live match was prepared in such a way that made it dangerous in my opinion - in an effort to produce incidents. This year it was probably not quite as dangerous but still doctored so as to produce incidents, which it did and it was again fortunate that no rider was seriously injured. I am sure that if Glyn Taylor had been in full control of prep, riders would not have been slithering and bouncing around looking like novices at times!

Seems to be contradicting opinions here. I very much doubt if Glyn will comment but I have an idea tsc1 might know exactly what he's talking about. :wink:

Who are these 'several PL teams'??? Name and shame I say!! :rofl:

Nothing wrong with premier league racing on sky far from it,just a shame Leicester has been over looked by sky.

However If what flagrag says is correct that the floodlights are the reason then the blame falls to DH

Robert72- It is fact about the lighting at Leicester and if you watch any of the Clean cut sports DVDs or the footage Sky did at EL riders final you will see the reason why especially bends 2 & 4. I know David Hemsley has looked at upgrading the lighting to the correct Lumen levels but would cost around 10-15k to do which for maybe two more Sky meetings not worth it at the min:

With regards to away fixtures it does not help that Leicester have struggled both seasons in the EL but as I said previously there is a good possibility that Sky will be back at Leicester in Aug

So how will the track be spiced-up for that one?

Seems to be contradicting opinions here. I very much doubt if Glyn will comment but I have an idea tsc1 might know exactly what he's talking about. :wink:

tsc1 contradicted his own previous post!!

Which one? He quoted Barrow Boy's post but doesn't seem to have replied to it. :unsure:

Which one? He quoted Barrow Boy's post but doesn't seem to have replied to it. :unsure:

In that case i agree with Barrow Boy

Mate i don't like to dampen your post, but Ronnie Russell has nothing to do with track prep at any sky meeting, including ours i might hasten to add, except for his own at Swindon.

Enjoyed the meeting on Sky last night and just about a fair result for both teams considering the absent riders and - as riders from both teams commented - "a track very different to normal!!".

So well done to Sky's/GSI's Ronnie Russell (Meeting Co-ordinator) for getting the track prep sorted!!!! (I am right, aren't I, that it is him rather than the home track staff that are responsible for Sky meetings?! :shock::wink::P )

In that case i agree with Barrow Boy

Glyn posts on here so I hope he will speak up if it wasn't his track prep yesterday but I was made aware he was in control of it.

When a match is on Sky the local track guys have to prepare it the way Ronnie Russell dictates. Blame him if the racing was not good enough. Recent matches at Leicester have been ok. Why don't they leave it to the experts.

I spoke with one of the track men who said they had both been told how the track should be prepared before racing. Could it be that Glyn only came out when told to do so.

It's as if everyone has had to sign the official secrets act as to who exactly is in charge of track preparation on Sky nights. No-one seems to know which scenario is actually correct and no-one is willing to say anything. Even tsc1 has been going around deleting his posts. :lol:

It is a well known fact that the track prep is taken out of the clubs hands, when Sky are in town. It was actually stated so on the Coventry meeting that cause such a stir on here a few meetings ago.

Why do they have the rights to dictate to a club how they want the track prepared. Surely it is up to the track guy to have the choice not Sky.

Is there any news on Josh Autry, on when he hopes to come back or are they planning to get another rider to cover the rest of the season, because if is true what has been said about him then he will only have a couple or so meeting at the end of the season when he is fit again. Are there also any plans to get another rider for Walasek as he will be out until the end of the year now I should think.

Hope that Swindow dispose of Zengota, have been really pleased with what I have seen from him this year.

Folks go on about pants meetings at BP but watch Lynne last night, there was only one heat that was worth watching and that was the last one, that said though, there was some good team riding for a change.

What I hate to see is when the leading rider sails off into the sunset and he dosen't give a sod about his mate, Iverson did all his team mates proud last night, helping them to get the win and get get the points they needed, still hate the double points as Lynne won that meeting by 4 points not the one they got in the end, it is time they put the double points to bed once and for all. Such an unfair idea, why should a losing team get a chance to score double points just because they are 10 points adrift, They should just let the meetings run their corse, no double points.

Is there any news on Josh Autry, on when he hopes to come back or are they planning to get another rider to cover the rest of the season, because if is true what has been said about him then he will only have a couple or so meeting at the end of the season when he is fit again. Are there also any plans to get another rider for Walasek as he will be out until the end of the year now I should think.

Josh hoping to be back by the end of next week (as he stated on Monday). Most likely guests for Grzegorz until he returns (as the team manager stated in the Star).

It is a well known fact that the track prep is taken out of the clubs hands, when Sky are in town. It was actually stated so on the Coventry meeting that cause such a stir on here a few meetings ago.

Why do they have the rights to dictate to a club how they want the track prepared. Surely it is up to the track guy to have the choice not Sky.

Hope that Swindow dispose of Zengota, have been really pleased with what I have seen from him this year.

Folks go on about pants meetings at BP but watch Lynne last night, there was only one heat that was worth watching and that was the last one, that said though, there was some good team riding for a change.

What I hate to see is when the leading rider sails off into the sunset and he dosen't give a sod about his mate, Iverson did all his team mates proud last night, helping them to get the win and get get the points they needed, still hate the double points as Lynne won that meeting by 4 points not the one they got in the end, it is time they put the double points to bed once and for all. Such an unfair idea, why should a losing team get a chance to score double points just because they are 10 points adrift, They should just let the meetings run their corse, no double points.

To team ride, you need a suitably designed track to do it on.

Hope they don't dispose of Greg, Swindon's second best rider this year and in top 20 EL averages. Despite what some people believe the track is not always prepared for Sky, at least not at Wiltshire's Abbey Stadium anyway.

• Like 1

Hope they don't dispose of Greg, Swindon's second best rider this year and in top 20 EL averages. Despite what some people believe the track is not always prepared for Sky, at least not at Wiltshire's Abbey Stadium anyway.

Did you watch Kings Lynn versus Poole the other night. 2 home riders in interview both said that the track was completely different tonight. Why would that be then?