British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

2016 Sgp Swc Calendar & Info's

No probably not, but then why build it in Manchester? Does the new stadium have a roof?

Anyway I thought it had a 25000 capacity, I know they get 45000 ish at Cardiff, but there are smaller venues that get used, can't they use both

Just seems utter madness that we have built a National Speedway stadium, but are only going to use it for the british final and a few pairs meetings

And if they cut out all the freebies .......

No probably not, but then why build it in Manchester? Does the new stadium have a roof?

Anyway I thought it had a 25000 capacity, I know they get 45000 ish at Cardiff, but there are smaller venues that get used, can't they use both

Just seems utter madness that we have built a National Speedway stadium, but are only going to use it for the british final and a few pairs meetings

Why not a GP in Manchester?. Cardiff is out on a limb and a fair trek for most fans. Manchester is very convenient. A United Kingdom GP would be a success at Belle Vue I feel.

Where do you suggest the new home of Belle Vue should be built then. London maybe but it seems a tad far for Aces supporters to travel every week. Birminghams is fairly central but again quite a way to travel and would Manchester City Council be as keen to help fund a stadium 100 miles away.

No on reflection I think a venue in Manchester is the best place to build a track for the Belle Vue Aces of Manchester

• Like 1

Where do you suggest the new home of Belle Vue should be built then. London maybe but it seems a tad far for Aces supporters to travel every week. Birminghams is fairly central but again quite a way to travel and would Manchester City Council be as keen to help fund a stadium 100 miles away.

No on reflection I think a venue in Manchester is the best place to build a track for the Belle Vue Aces of Manchester

Wow there are some sarcastic people on this thread eh, I was of course referring to "the national speedway stadium" which I know little about hence the questions, I am sure it would be even more ridiculous to build such a thing and not let the local team use it every week. Can I also assume then that Belle vue have funded this completely themselves

I have already been told that this is the wrong place to ask such ridiculous questions so wind your neck in a bit, no wonder people leave this forum, you won't bully me off though

Wow there are some sarcastic people on this thread eh, I was of course referring to "the national speedway stadium" which I know little about hence the questions, I am sure it would be even more ridiculous to build such a thing and not let the local team use it every week. Can I also assume then that Belle vue have funded this completely themselves

I have already been told that this is the wrong place to ask such ridiculous questions so wind your neck in a bit, no wonder people leave this forum, you won't bully me off though

You're not allowed to ask questions about it, or even comment. It proves you're a jealous hater who wants it to fail.

You're not allowed to ask questions about it, or even comment. It proves you're a jealous hater who wants it to fail.

Always had a lot of time for Belle Vue to be honest, just didn't know the ins and outs of the new stadium, And yes I am a bit jealous because I have no team to support, wouldn't call it hating though

National Speedway Stadium is, in essence just a name. It is the new home of Belle Vue. The funding is partially from Manchester City Council to be paid back over a number of years and it is in keeping with the overall re development of East Manchester in general and this area in particular, as a "Sport City".

Like Shawn says if you expressed any doubts about this ever being built then you wanted it to fail and should now be hanging your head in shame

Always had a lot of time for Belle Vue to be honest, just didn't know the ins and outs of the new stadium, And yes I am a bit jealous because I have no team to support, wouldn't call it hating though

It's weird on here about that stadium. A few people were cynical. a few of us have criticized the bigging up that some of the stages got (and then been amazed at the lack of fanfare for the actually rubber stamping of the planning committee and the actually building work). But when people ask questions or show a bit of cynicism some (not all btw) BV fans get really uptight about it and treat it as if you have just urinated through their letter box!

I'll try and answer your question for you as best as I can. The stadium is the home of BV speedway. It's being funded by a free loan from Manchester council to BV speedway to be paid over something like 60 years. The BSPA/SCB/ACU have nothing to do with it. It was announced that the stadium was going to host "World Championship events" in the begin and actually specifically claimed it was going to host the 2013 SWC final (some still won't accept that it didn't happen, cannot happen and that my cynicism around that claim proved correct!). They will apparently have a lot of training time available as the stadium won't be a tenant but the landlord to anyone else using the stadium. And planning conditions allow for quite a bit of training on certain days.

You'd think that a "National Speedway Stadium" would host the GB final and a GP but don't even hint at that because some of the touhcy types will be on screaming at you that it's never been mentioned that a GP will be hosted, and they're right - it just seemed like a reasonable assumption and may still actually happen, why if Poland has 2 and 3 GPs every year, Sweden has 2, Denmark has had two that GB couldn't have two, an English and a Welsh GP should be do-able.

I'll end by saying that ANY stadium that is purpose built for speedway with speedway as the landlord or main tenant can only be a good thing (although Leicester have tried it mess it up and Newport has gone).

National Speedway Stadium is, in essence just a name. It is the new home of Belle Vue. The funding is partially from Manchester City Council to be paid back over a number of years and it is in keeping with the overall re development of East Manchester in general and this area in particular, as a "Sport City".

Like Shawn says if you expressed any doubts about this ever being built then you wanted it to fail and should now be hanging your head in shame

I certainly haven't expressed any doubts at all, I think it is great, to be honest I wasn't aware of it when the planning stage was happening

It's weird on here about that stadium. A few people were cynical. a few of us have criticized the bigging up that some of the stages got (and then been amazed at the lack of fanfare for the actually rubber stamping of the planning committee and the actually building work). But when people ask questions or show a bit of cynicism some (not all btw) BV fans get really uptight about it and treat it as if you have just urinated through their letter box!

I'll try and answer your question for you as best as I can. The stadium is the home of BV speedway. It's being funded by a free loan from Manchester council to BV speedway to be paid over something like 60 years. The BSPA/SCB/ACU have nothing to do with it. It was announced that the stadium was going to host "World Championship events" in the begin and actually specifically claimed it was going to host the 2013 SWC final (some still won't accept that it didn't happen, cannot happen and that my cynicism around that claim proved correct!). They will apparently have a lot of training time available as the stadium won't be a tenant but the landlord to anyone else using the stadium. And planning conditions allow for quite a bit of training on certain days.

You'd think that a "National Speedway Stadium" would host the GB final and a GP but don't even hint at that because some of the touhcy types will be on screaming at you that it's never been mentioned that a GP will be hosted, and they're right - it just seemed like a reasonable assumption and may still actually happen, why if Poland has 2 and 3 GPs every year, Sweden has 2, Denmark has had two that GB couldn't have two, an English and a Welsh GP should be do-able.

I'll end by saying that ANY stadium that is purpose built for speedway with speedway as the landlord or main tenant can only be a good thing (although Leicester have tried it mess it up and Newport has gone).

Great post, all the answers I was looking for, without the assumption that I am anti anything, I also would have thought Britain would be capable of holding a 2nd Grand Prix without it taking anything away from Cardiff, but that would only be my opinion, even if it is just every 2 or 3 years

Thanks

I applaud any new speedway stadium in this country, good luck to Belle Vue and I hope they have a successful and profitable tenure. I think it will be a great place to host SWC, Individual and team meetings, however, I believe the limited capacity may preclude it hosting a GP. There were over 40000 at Cardiff this year and I can't see Manchester being able to cope with anywhere near that number.

No it isn't :)

Niiamh

It is more convenient than Cardiff for most supporters given the geographical location of most tracks. :party:

Question!

If the British GP was held at the Etihad in Manchester rather than the Millenium in Cardiff, would it attract a bigger crowd?.

My view is Yes, it would but others' opinion would be welcome.

It is more convenient than Cardiff for most supporters given the geographical location of most tracks. :party:

Question!

If the British GP was held at the Etihad in Manchester rather than the Millenium in Cardiff, would it attract a bigger crowd?.

My view is Yes, it would but others' opinion would be welcome.

From a lot of peoples point of view it would be more difficult...............it takes us on average 3 hours to get to Cardiff sometimes less dependent on traffic............last time we went up to Manchester on a Friday night (well to Runcorn in Cheshire which is not that far away) it took us 6 hours............keep it at Cardiff.................

RP

• Like 2

Well for rain watching certainly :)

What's the surrounding area like for pubs, bars and restaurents?

Niamh