British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IpswichDave

Rye House Vs Ipswich - Sat 22nd August

RYE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE:::

:::::::::::

Kennett Max Unable to Rescue Rockets

Rye House 44 Ipswich 46

(Premier League: Saturday, August 22nd 2015)

An explosive 18 point maximum from Edward Kennett failed to prevent the Restart Rockets slipping to their fourth home Premier League defeat of the season in a 46-44 thriller against Play-Off chasing Ipswich.

The Rye House No.1 was in totally dominant form as he roared to his sixth full house of the year – and his second in succession. The Witches, however, had their own bases covered at heat leader (Danny King), second string (Cameron Heeps) and reserve (Ashley Morris) in what proved an effective triple threat.

On a baking hot day, the match got off to an equally fiery start in an opening race sizzler as Robin Aspegren kept both Heeps and King at bay to follow home Kennett for the 5-1, but there were flames of a different type in the next race when Danny Maassen’s first choice bike caught fire after the German had retired onto the centre green. The fire was quickly extinguished in what was awarded as a 5-1 to the Witches.

Thereafter, the fixture continued in a tense, tight atmosphere, with never more than four points separating the sides at any stage but a number of falls proving crucial.

The first came when Rohan Tungate took a heavy fall in Heat 3. Anders Mellgren and Kasper Lykke were on a 5-1 at the time but, frustratingly, had to follow home Gino Manzares in the re-run.

It was a situation that set the tone for what was to follow, although in Heat 7 the roles were reversed. The race saw Tungate falling again – this time with Manzares in front – but enabling Mellgren and Luke Bowen to capitalise with a maximum in the second re-run after Manzares had subsequently been handed a 15 metre penalty for a second start line offence.

Another tumble had a major impact in Heat 9, when Tero Arnio’s fall when Mellgren and Lykke were holding a 4-2 provided the opportunity for Danny King to produce a tremendous ride at the second time of asking, the visiting No.1 surging around the outside of both his adversaries at the start of the last lap to take the victory.

The final “Get Out of Jail” came in Heat 12, called back after Manzares had hit the deck and enabling hot reserve Ashley Morris to outpace original race leader Mellgren in the re-run.

As Rye House team manager John Sampford said afterwards, “It felt as though every time there was a stoppage, the result would always be different in the re-run. But ultimately it’s no good looking at those “what ifs”; you have to win the race when it’s actually on the line.

“I admit that it was a struggle for us tonight apart from Eddie, who was head and shoulders above everybody else and leading from the front. He is having a tremendous season, after investing very heavily in his equipment. It has come at a heavy financial cost to him, but it’s certainly paying dividends.

“Everybody else, though, had their problems. I’m almost lost for words, because there was so much effort going in, but for some it just wasn’t working.

“You’re only as good as your opponents allow you to be, and tonight we didn’t quite deserve it.”

Rye House scorers:

Edward Kennett 18 (6 rides, max), Kasper Lykke 8 (6), Anders Mellgren 7+3 (5), Robin Aspegren 4+1 (5), Luke Bowen 4 (4), Danny Maassen 3+1 (4), Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen R/R

Ipswich scorers:

Danny King 11+2 (6 rides), Cameron Heeps 11+1 (6), Ashley Morris 10+2 (5), Gino Manzares 6 (5), Rohan Tungate 5 (5), Tero Aarnio (guest) 3 (3), Nico Covatti R/R

Match Points: Rye House 0 Ipswich 3

Edward Kennett’s maximum aside, the biggest positive from the meeting was the £1500 raised on behalf of the Speedway Riders’ Benevolent Fund, with the club topping up the amount to that nearest even figure.

With Barclays matching the first £1000 raised, the total for the night was therefore £2500.

Our grateful thanks to all who contributed, and equally to Barclays, for this magnificent achievement.

I dont think hindsight is required to know Maassen shouldnt be anywhere near a PL reserve berth ahead of a young Brit.

Maasen was a gamble at a time when we had injuries & Dan Greenwood was struggling to get points points. We've been fairly good at giving young Brits a chance of PL racing.

• Like 1

Rye House for a home team were gash, Ed Kennett was professional and a trier but the rest?..looked like a team that wasn't motivated or couldn't give a damn.

No disrespect to Morris but Rye's riders should of been beating him on their home track, another year and another shambles.

The team was pish poor before the season started, all that has happened is what the vast majority of non rose tinted glassed Rye fans thought would happen!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But we all saw how poor he was when he signed for Sheffield a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

I didn't bother going, knew what the outcome would be.

Nothing will ever change while Silver snr is still on the scene & by the the looks of it owners & stadium managent that just are not speedway orientated people so will not know the steps to take to move forward.

Only one conclusion here I'm afraid......

No more speedway in Hoddesdon. I hope I'm wrong 😣

Where`s Dave Stummings the statistian as it seems r/r for NBJ only gets 5 - 7 points a meeting why oh why do we not get a guest like every other team does (Sheffield has r/r for Stead ALL season)

Guest only for No1 and reserves unless 2 or more out.

If just one out of positions 2-5 then R/R is the only option.

Where`s Dave Stummings the statistian as it seems r/r for NBJ only gets 5 - 7 points a meeting why oh why do we not get a guest like every other team does (Sheffield has r/r for Stead ALL season)

If there's only 1 rider missing you can only use R/R unless they are the #1.

Nothing will ever change while Silver snr is still on the scene & by the the looks of it owners & stadium managent that just are not speedway orientated people so will not know the steps to take to move forward.

Only one conclusion here I'm afraid......

No more speedway in Hoddesdon. I hope I'm wrong 😣

Don't be too sure.... Edited by Shads

T2TV have produced a multi camera DVD of this match, better racing than some of the people on here state, Kennet class apart, but Lykke also good value. Biggest problem at Rye is the poor track, great for 7 heats, but no dirt brought in and no water, and that is where we threw it away.

Can I ask the question regarding lack of water? What is the reason? No water? Lack of in meeting watering equipment? Other reason?

Rye House regulars have been asking the same question for a while now

Can I ask the question regarding lack of water? What is the reason? No water? Lack of in meeting watering equipment? Other reason?

Memories of Colin Pratt with a massive hose when we ran as a Sunday Afternoon Club. Dust was much worse in those days

That said can any club claim to be better placed for a water supply. On a road that that leads to a water treatment plant and two rivers within a couple of hundred yards of the track. Yes he has the equipment such as a bowser much in the same way that he has similar equipment at Kent. He choses rarely to use the equipment for reasons known only to himself.In fact at Kent so rare is a tractor on track that it is cheered every time it ventures near the track.

For so long i have been a supporter of Len but i admit i was wrong as the last couple of seasons he seems to have become a bit of a sad old boy who when challenged doesn't listen and goes to opposite way to prove a point.Sad really as he continues to cut his nose off to spit his face.

• Like 1

Memories of Colin Pratt with a massive hose when we ran as a Sunday Afternoon Club.

Colin Pratt was in attendance on Saturday. Perhaps he can be persuaded to get the hose out next time?

For so long i have been a supporter of Len but i admit i was wrong as the last couple of seasons he seems to have become a bit of a sad old boy who when challenged doesn't listen and goes to opposite way to prove a point.Sad really as he continues to cut his nose off to spit his face.

I lost respect for him (as did many others) after the way he spoke to fans after the Jason Doyle episode a couple of years ago. Edited by Shads
  • Like 3