British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gemini

Storm V Cradley Heath. 4pm ~ 23rd August 2015.

Typical bloody Speedway. Start delayed until 6pm and told the meeting will be on as long as there was no more rain. Well, there wasn't, in fact there were blue skies and the sun was shining so we are kept hanging around for two hours for nothing. I don't know why I bother.

Well, she had a good walk in the wood as I got there at 2.15pm and yes we did both get soaked, but once dried off everything was going to be worthwhile wasn't it because the meeting was still on, just delayed for two hours. Wonder what went wrong with that plan.

sorry to hear about your day, this must bring back memories of the elite riders championship if i remember rightly. it's fans like you that keep the sport going despite what promoters and the weather throws at us, but i bet your dog thinks you're nuts.

• Like 2

She probably does :lol: but she was happy enough as she had over an hour's walk in the wood and then after I'd had something to eat another walk round the perimeter of the car park.. They're going to get a lot of houses on that site.

I thought we were going to be okay when this arrived. :wink:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154148609612785&set=pcb.10154148610552785&type=1&theater

Edited by Gemini

Yet another Speedway PR disaster.

About 11a.m Coventry say the meeting is on.

It then goes very quiet indeed with some references to heavily rain from some fans on social media.

Still no change to the official 'meeting on' announcement so with the rain pouring down in the Black Country we set off at 2.45.

We pull onto the Car Park at Brandon just before 4pm to be told the meeting has been delayed by 2 hours. Why on earth was there no announcement of this in all that time since 11a.m.

The sun starts shining so hopes rise.

Very little activity on the track (at least on the part of it you can see from the Car Park).

The fans are let in at 5pm and within seconds of them paying their money the turnstile doors are slammed shut and the meeting is called off.

It looked like an extremely desperate 'money grab' by Coventry but I believe those who paid actually got their money back.

Total Shambles at Brandon yet again and I thought I'd learnt my lesson last year!

Now it looks as though we will be back as the second part of a double header on Bank Holiday Monday. What time is that gonna finish and will we have to pay for watching the delights of Lakeside?

Why don't they get us on at say 2pm and get the meeting out of the way?

Yet another Speedway PR disaster.

About 11a.m Coventry say the meeting is on.

It then goes very quiet indeed with some references to heavily rain from some fans on social media.

Still no change to the official 'meeting on' announcement so with the rain pouring down in the Black Country we set off at 2.45.

We pull onto the Car Park at Brandon just before 4pm to be told the meeting has been delayed by 2 hours. Why on earth was there no announcement of this in all that time since 11a.m.

The sun starts shining so hopes rise.

Very little activity on the track (at least on the part of it you can see from the Car Park).

The fans are let in at 5pm and within seconds of them paying their money the turnstile doors are slammed shut and the meeting is called off.

It looked like an extremely desperate 'money grab' by Coventry but I believe those who paid actually got their money back.

Total Shambles at Brandon yet again and I thought I'd learnt my lesson last year!

Now it looks as though we will be back as the second part of a double header on Bank Holiday Monday. What time is that gonna finish and will we have to pay for watching the delights of Lakeside?

Why don't they get us on at say 2pm and get the meeting out of the way?

Can only apologise on behalf of Coventry fans. The club is an absolute embarrassment at present.

This lot manage to oversee more shambles during the course of a weekend than the Ochiltrees managed in 60+ years!

• Like 6

No need to apologise on behalf of the fans. It's certainly not your fault and I saw some Bees / Storm fans still arriving as we were driving out.

I totally share your views on the CO and Martin. The place always ran like a military operation and was totally professional.

Sadly the effect this will all have is to play into the hands of the owner who wants to close it all down and put houses on it because fans will simply stop going.

I know Cradley and Coventry were always bitter rivals but that is what made the sport great back in the day and packed the fans in. I was showing my kids this afternoon where we used to have to start queuing to get in through the turnstiles and I could tell they didn't believe a word of it.

Having suffered the loss of Dudley Wood I am the last person who would want to see Brandon follow it. I've had some memorable nights there at both ends of the enjoyment spectrum. Some great wins and some massive thumpings.

Fingers crossed that the Stadium and Club will survive - the fans deserve it.

• Like 3

No need to apologise on behalf of the fans. It's certainly not your fault and I saw some Bees / Storm fans still arriving as we were driving out.

I totally share your views on the CO and Martin. The place always ran like a military operation and was totally professional.

Sadly the effect this will all have is to play into the hands of the owner who wants to close it all down and put houses on it because fans will simply stop going.

I know Cradley and Coventry were always bitter rivals but that is what made the sport great back in the day and packed the fans in. I was showing my kids this afternoon where we used to have to start queuing to get in through the turnstiles and I could tell they didn't believe a word of it.

Having suffered the loss of Dudley Wood I am the last person who would want to see Brandon follow it. I've had some memorable nights there at both ends of the enjoyment spectrum. Some great wins and some massive thumpings.

Fingers crossed that the Stadium and Club will survive - the fans deserve it.

👍🏻 Top post

• Like 1

I wasn't aware of the issues surrounding the Swindon Elite League match and I can see why Bees / Storm fans are getting frustrated.

Things happen in Speedway. Matches get cancelled and riders get injured but I think it's the lack of information that is winding people up most and that is totally in the control of the Club.

I've always said you can handle good news and you can handle bad news but no news is impossible to deal with. That's what gets people frustrated.

Fans will generally support their team through thick and thin but need to feel included in what's going on.

It's a simple problem and so easy to fix with some openness and honesty.

• Like 3

Seems the Coventry promotion are just reactive, and fair play they generally react well; but they need to have more foresight and plan ahead

Eastbourne looked at the forecast & yesterday put the start time forward 4hrs & packed the track

• Like 1

Not funny. In the slightest.

Who me? I didn't find anything funny about this afternoon, trudging round the wood in the rain and mud then getting back to hear that the meeting was going ahead at 6pm as long as there was no more rain. The sun was out so I thought everything was going to be okay and it was worth waiting. Obviously a wrong decision and those who left had the best idea.

If you mean about the houses I didn't mean that to be funny either but it's the first time I've actually walked all round the edge of the car park and realised how big an area it is. Seems inevitable really that the stadium will eventually be lost ~ an owner who wants the land and a sport with just 8 teams in the league lurching from one disastrous season to another.

Edited by Gemini