British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gemini

Storm Double Header ~ Today 7pm.

COVENTRY Storm can take another big step towards National League Gold Cup qualification in an important double-header at Brandon on Friday.

The City Gearboxes Storm take on Kent and Mildenhall (7pm start) and if they can beat both opponents, they will be in a very strong position to secure a top four finish.

The first match is against Kent, who boast a powerhouse top order including skipper Ben Morley and the fast-improving Danny Ayres who impressed greatly when guesting for Coventry in the Elite League last week - and they track seemingly a strengthened line-up with Ellis Perks and rider-replacement covering the unavailable Aaron Baseby and Jamie Couzins.

The Kings are two points behind the Storm but only have one home match remaining, with four defeats at Central Park severely denting their own top-four hopes.

The teams have already met this season in the KO Cup, with Kent going through after an extraordinary second leg at Brandon which finished 45-45 with 13 of the 15 races drawn!

Mildenhall are currently placed ninth in the table but are in fact one of five teams on 16 points, including Kent, such is the congested nature of the National League table.

The Fen Tigers are yet to win on the road in the league this season, but the Storm will be fully aware that they have been very much their bogey team over the last couple of years.

Since Coventry entered the competition in 2013, they have never beaten Mildenhall at home, with the West Row side victorious on all three of their visits.

The Storm are at full strength for both meetings with Martin Knuckey moving into the No.5 position, and as with their previous double-header they will track both of their promising 16-year-olds, Jamie Halder and Callum Walker, in one match each.

Manager Laurence Rogers said: “Both Kent and Mildenhall are still in contention for a Gold Cup place themselves, so there’s going to be some close racing.

“It’s just a pity that our boys have hardly raced at home so it’s almost like an away match for them as well - but having said that, look at how well we do away from home with 12 points this season.

“We’ll be out to pick up all six points available. We want to be in that Gold Cup, because this team has really blossomed as the year has gone on.”

Admission is just £15 for adults (all kids free) for a full 30-heat programme of racing.

CITY GEARBOXES STORM (from): Mark Baseby, Conor Dwyer, Dan Greenwood, Jamie Halder, Martin Knuckey, Darryl Ritchings, Rob Shuttleworth, Callum Walker.
KENT (from): Danny Ayres, Ben Basford, Jamie Couzins R/R, Ben Morley, Ellis Perks, James Shanes, Adam Sheppard.
MILDENHALL (from): Tom Bacon, Connor Coles, Dan Halsey, Jack Kingston R/R, Nick Laurence, Connor Mountain, Luke Ruddick.

If perks stays on his bike that could tip the meeting towards kent.

I think if Coventry win either of these matches they will be heavy favorites for 4th. If Coventry lose both it will be any 1 from the bottom 7

Ellis Perks for Kent is a good choice and will make them stronger but I don't think strong enough

Where are Baseby & Couzins again tonight? Getting a little tiresome now that a team with fully fit riders are using guests & RR again!

• Like 2

Where are Baseby & Couzins again tonight? Getting a little tiresome now that a team with fully fit riders are using guests & RR again!

Baseby out because of work commitments .................................... again ? Blimey you see more of Lord Lucan than you do of him !

• Like 1

Weather forecast looking good for this.

Sunny with blue skies so far this morning 👍🏻☀️

I'm going to this. Only been a few times to a national league meeting. Who is your rider to watch tonight?

Danny Ayres and James Shanes are all action for kent. Keep an eye on Connor Mountain as a future star for mildo and jack Kingston for them is also all action to watch.
  • Like 2

Baseby out because of work commitments .................................... again ? Blimey you see more of Lord Lucan than you do of him !

If this is a hastily re-arranged fixture then fair enough but if it was planned it should have been booked off at the beginning of the season. Does seem like weeknight away meetings are an issue for him?

Jamie broke down en route to Mildenhall last week. If that is still the issue its also a bit concerning!

I'm going to this. Only been a few times to a national league meeting. Who is your rider to watch tonight?

Well, I know who I will be watching ~ James Shanes. :lol: Loved his style of riding since he rode for us.

• Like 1

If this is a hastily re-arranged fixture then fair enough but if it was planned it should have been booked off at the beginning of the season. Does seem like weeknight away meetings are an issue for him?

Jamie broke down en route to Mildenhall last week. If that is still the issue its also a bit concerning!

TBF, just because you booked the time off months ago doesn't mean it won't be cancelled by your employer. I speak as someone whos holiday has been delayed twice in the last 2 weeks, grrrr!

I have never suffered such annoyances personally but that probably means im not such a vital employee! Although if they checked how much time I spend browsing this forum I doubt I would be an employee at all eeeeeep!

RIDICULOUS. I and 100 more PLUS Mick Horton attended a meeting a while ago where it was explained that there is no curfew at Brandon Stadium.

Once again it's the travelling fans that are let down. Marketed as 30 heats for £15 all the paying public got was 20 heats, the lads from Mildenhall travelled for what, less than 2 heats each.

And you wonder why the sport is on it's knees

RIDICULOUS. I and 100 more PLUS Mick Horton attended a meeting a while ago where it was explained that there is no curfew at Brandon Stadium.

Once again it's the travelling fans that are let down. Marketed as 30 heats for £15 all the paying public got was 20 heats, the lads from Mildenhall travelled for what, less than 2 heats each.

Dan Greenwood's health is personally more important to me. Yes it's unfortunate that two meetings didn't get to be run but Dan was in need of another ambulance and it would mean a delay which is why the meeting was abandoned.

I hope he's okay

• Like 1

Probanly should have thought that one through first. Greenwoods health is first priority they can't just race around him
  • Like 1