British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Unfortunately though, there aren't many options. Someone with recent gp experience, and whilst he didn't set the world alight also didn't disgrace himself would do a reasonable job I think. Think Wozniak is likely to be higher up the pecking order than masters, szymon was excellent towards the latter end of the season, and is better round Beaumont park

How did Johansson get into the GP's? Can't recall which route he used but i bet he wont be back anytime soon. Barker and Beaumont Park are as compatible as Prince Charles and Diana Spencer.

Beckett - your suggested line up is too reminiscent of the Birmingham team which started the 2014 season. Auty would be at no.1 before the end of April if they stick with the daft plan to keep the current heats format. It's deja vu all over again, but as you say what is the alternative......

• Like 1

How did Johansson get into the GP's? Can't recall which route he used but i bet he wont be back anytime soon. Barker and Beaumont Park are as compatible as Prince Charles and Diana Spencer.

Beckett - your suggested line up is too reminiscent of the Birmingham team which started the 2014 season. Auty would be at no.1 before the end of April if they stick with the daft plan to keep the current heats format. It's deja vu all over again, but as you say what is the alternative......

Johnasson got into the GP's through the ' being Swedish' route
  • Like 1

PS Anyway it might be Batchelor, so that will be all right :shock:

Love your avatar Happy Hunter. Joe Bowkis was one of my favourite riders in the 1950's, along with Len Williams, Bryan Elliott, Charlie Barsby and Cyril Page. :)

You must be a golden oldie like me then! I can go back a bit further than that to Pedlar Palmer, Harwood Pike, Jonnie Carpenter, Ron Wilson, Sid Hipperson, Reg Fearman etc.

PS Anyway it might be Batchelor, so that will be all right :shock:

Couldn't think of anything worse than batch & masters at Leicester,.

DH needs a big crowd puller or this could be the end of the lions.

I didn't think jonasson was that bad, but he's not gunna be a like for like for Doyle. Unfortunately, our options are even more limited than most. Though I'd have thought we could do better than barker. Wonder if Magnus or nemo might come back? Might do a job at number 4. Would prefer thj over batch though, not convinced Troy tried at a club he actually wanted to ride for- and he's never been our biggest fan

I didn't think jonasson was that bad, but he's not gunna be a like for like for Doyle. Unfortunately, our options are even more limited than most. Though I'd have thought we could do better than barker. Wonder if Magnus or nemo might come back? Might do a job at number 4. Would prefer thj over batch though, not convinced Troy tried at a club he actually wanted to ride for- and he's never been our biggest fan

Sadly, I suspect Magnus and Nemo are well past thier best now and would'nt be interested anyway. There must be a better bet as a double-upper out there than Barker? He'd be a lot better at somewhere like Swindon.

Sadly, I suspect Magnus and Nemo are well past thier best now and would'nt be interested anyway. There must be a better bet as a double-upper out there than Barker? He'd be a lot better at somewhere like Swindon.

Loads better at Swindon because it's not Leicester! Don't really want barker, agree with you there should be better options. Doesn't necessarily have to be a double upper... Wonder if Wozniak has any mates he wants to bring over!

Edited by beckettlion

magnus had his best ever year this year in Sweden him and nemo would still do a second string job,sure of that but like you say i doubt if they would be interested now.

Magnus Karlsson and Kauko Nieminen as second strings and THJ as a heat leader. Oh please :D

Whilst Beckettlions 1 to 7 doesn't instill a great deal of confidence, it is nevertheless a very realistic team within the circumstances. Lions rarely win matches comfortably and the lack of big guns to compete in Heats 13 & 15 would be a real concern.

• Like 1

You must be a golden oldie like me then! I can go back a bit further than that to Pedlar Palmer, Harwood Pike, Jonnie Carpenter, Ron Wilson, Sid Hipperson, Reg Fearman etc.

Unfortunately I do too. My dad took me to the first meeting when I was 8 but I'm not sure if it was in 1948 or 1949 as I believe there were some open meetings in 1948? I can't remember that far back. :lol: I've been going since then, but transferring to Coventry when Leicester closed in 1983. You might be interested in looking at the photos I've got on Facebook of the old Leicester riders. https://www.facebook.com/janet.hambleton/media_set?set=a.10150144289657785.323814.550797784&type=3