British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

It's probably all down to bargaining now, and whats the lowest offer that any rider involved will accept, with the Saturday/Poland factor taken into account within that equation. Someone like Bjerre will have asked for way more than Leicester are willing to pay, it will eventually come down to whats the least he'll accept and will Leicester be prepared to meet him partway.

Just another question ---- let's say just for now that Bjerre does eventually sign (reluctantly, I'm sure) ; who will be the team captain?

Didn't he ride for himself last season? ;)

It's hard to tell as he was that bad!

King's Lynn are keeping you company there, weatherwatcher, as they still have to declare a full team and have about an 8.60 hole to fill to take them up to this season's team limit.

Weatherwatcher,

Even the less than mediocre Poles, Danes, Swedes, Ruskies, Martians want silly money... It's blooming ridiculous!! I know Saturday nights don't help, but it's all down to money, money, money and money.. UK crowds are not large enough to sustain the payments these damn riders want.. I don't think fixed race nights would actually help, squads are not the answer either.. The only thing that will help is a sudden, dramatic upsurge in crowds, say if they doubled to say an average of 2,800 to 3,000 that would help no end, but it has to be at that level in a sustained way..

It's probably all down to bargaining now, and whats the lowest offer that any rider involved will accept, with the Saturday/Poland factor taken into account within that equation. Someone like Bjerre will have asked for way more than Leicester are willing to pay, it will eventually come down to whats the least he'll accept and will Leicester be prepared to meet him partway.

Just another question ---- let's say just for now that Bjerre does eventually sign (reluctantly, I'm sure) ; who will be the team captain?

Do you have to have a captain? If you do I would go with Walasek... Or if not actually needed I'd go without.

Think walasek will don the metaphorical armband

As ive said elsewhere. Bjerre needs a change of scenery.

Did he tell you that or are you making another sweeping statement without no actual proof as usual?.

He has changed clubs in the other countries he rides in & his form has continued to drop so it would be more to do with injuries than the club he rides for.

Edited by Crazy robin

If Leicester were to get injuries to key riders would the club fold as how would they get replacements as they have spent months trying to get key riders and are still trying

Had been told he had retired / taken a year out.

He was offered places at Redcar & other tracks but turned them down

Jan Graversen still not signed up anywhere either!!!!!!!!!

Weatherwatcher,

Even the less than mediocre Poles, Danes, Swedes, Ruskies, Martians want silly money... It's blooming ridiculous!! I know Saturday nights don't help, but it's all down to money, money, money and money.. UK crowds are not large enough to sustain the payments these damn riders want.. I don't think fixed race nights would actually help, squads are not the answer either.. The only thing that will help is a sudden, dramatic upsurge in crowds, say if they doubled to say an average of 2,800 to 3,000 that would help no end, but it has to be at that level in a sustained way..

Do you have to have a captain? If you do I would go with Walasek... Or if not actually needed I'd go without.

You are correct on that score, of riders asking for silly money, it all started years ago and the promoters just went along and paid up. Then things started to sink in with them when the clubs, where nearly in a state of going bankrupt.

It was then decided that they where never going to pay these riders the stupi money any longer. That was when all the really big top names stopped coming over here.

A few clubs who still had a good financial situation, could still aford to bring them over and pay them but it was only a very few clubs.

I doubt the British speedway will ever get back to being a No1 in the world, where all the riders wanted to come and ride. Unless as you say the clubs can get bums on the seats, there is just not enough in the way of promoting the sport, so very few people know it even exsits, Until they can even think of a way of getting more people through the gates.

There has got to be something done to make that possible.They just carry on as they have done for the last I don't know how many year. With fans leaving not by the hand full but in droves. With some clubs having so few attending that is hardly worth the effrt of opening the gates.

Until they wake up to reallity and get something done about it . Things are only going to get worse.

Edited by weatherwatcher

Would rather have Mikkelson at Leicester than Paddy H

Flagrag, is there no chance of Peter Karlsson? Or Kenneth Bjerre?

As I don't really see anyone else out there that could fit the bill... I know round peg, round hole, but when desperate, a round peg will fit most other shaped holes with a bit of a bash with a hammer......!!

Shale Searcher -Peter Karlsson burnt his bridges back in 2014 when he guested for Leicester on high fixed money didn't hardly score or put any effort in.

Kenneth Bjerre may be the best of what's available but is not what Leicester need if he was in place of Klindt or Wozniak but not at the top end of the team