British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

I'm already looking forward to next season.....

Surely its a case of having too with it all finished for the Lions this term?

I remember them putiing on a challenge match v a USA touring side at the end of the first season and that was in October!! There had been racing up until then. 4 weeks revenue gone, higher running cost in the EL and supposedly lower gates (even at £2 a meeting more) must mean it's been difficult to turn a profit and if you aren't how do you pay for better riders and track alterations ?

I remember them putiing on a challenge match v a USA touring side at the end of the first season and that was in October!! There had been racing up until then. 4 weeks revenue gone, higher running cost in the EL and supposedly lower gates (even at £2 a meeting more) must mean it's been difficult to turn a profit and if you aren't how do you pay for better riders and track alterations ?

DH says that it is not worth opening the gates for extra meetings!!

DH says that it is not worth opening the gates for extra meetings!!

How worthwhile is it for the regular meetings?

Incidentally, it was interesting that Hemsley said anyone who wants to alter the track could buy it from him for what it cost to build, not what it is worth now.

I remember them putiing on a challenge match v a USA touring side at the end of the first season and that was in October!! There had been racing up until then. 4 weeks revenue gone, higher running cost in the EL and supposedly lower gates (even at £2 a meeting more) must mean it's been difficult to turn a profit and if you aren't how do you pay for better riders and track alterations

Hey ho Bornagain , nice to see you still take an interest

David Hemsley wrote in the Leicester v Poole programme dated 31/8/15:

" I suppose at this stage of our season we should be considering where we position the club going forward particularly with an AGM of the BSPA not too far in the future. I feel my aim would be to get the clubs represented on an equal footing and start to bring the sport more aligned to the professional organisations with the sports and leisure industry that I am used to dealing with on a day to day basis. I do think this will be a challenge to avoid the debacles such as the position we had with UKVI last year, and I can see similar issues presenting themselves in future, but with the right personnel steering the British Speedway ship I hope that further rocks can be avoided. Following these key decisions by the members I can then decide how the club should go forward in 2016, and then consider the manner in which we plan the next development of Leicester Speedway."

The previous paragraph referred to riders breaking contracts, and something about the club's position on such matters becoming clearer over the coming weeks, and the implications of such actions taken by riders for the sport.

Clearly dissatisfaction with the way the sport's run. Is he referring just to the Elite league or the whole set-up?

Who are the "right personnel" he refers to?

What's the stuff about riders who break contracts? Is Leicester going to take retrospective legal action against them?

If the changes he is referring to are not made at the AGM, what's he going to do? Take Leicester back to the PL? Pack the whole thing in?

The BSPA making these changes (whilst they may be badly needed) could be about as likely as David Hemsley making major changes to the Leicester track.

I'm trusting you to have reproduced Mr Hemsley's words with complete accuracy here.......that is based on your use of the quotation marks.

Anyway,reading between those lines, there certainly do seem to be some large storm clouds gathering. In fact it sounds like stormy weather may well have already broken out between the Leicester promotion and the BSPA management committee. There is probably far more going-on than meets the eye.

Your point re what would Mr Hemsley do, in the event of the "changes" (whatever they are) not being accepted and implemented, is a pertinent one indeed!

Could the "changes" include having an independent professional management of the BSPA, where vested interests could not prevail?

I think this sounds like a time-bomb ticking away.

It will have to be more than one promoter bringing up a major issue at the AGM. If DH made a statement to bring down all the BPSA board I am sure that they would all stand firmly together on that one.

So if they do overule anything he puts forward and not agree, where does he go then, will it be the end of the Lions or will he put the club up for sale.Because I can't see him stepping down on the issue and just doing nothing and carring on.

Must say nice to see the Lions get the win against The Wolves and move off the bottom slot, well done lads.

Edited by weatherwatcher

Hemsley's intransigence is the problem. Riders, seasoned fans and experienced observers all say the track needs major surgery, but Hemsley is blinkered.

Incidentally, in the subject of riders and contracts, does anyone know if Leicester have paid Swindon for Jason Doyle, either on loan or on full transfer?

Ridiculous that only he thinks it is a great track. It produces awful racing.

Hemsley's intransigence is the problem. Riders, seasoned fans and experienced observers all say the track needs major surgery, but Hemsley is blinkered.

Incidentally, in the subject of riders and contracts, does anyone know if Leicester have paid Swindon for Jason Doyle, either on loan or on full transfer?

I read something in the Speedway Star that Doyle was on a season long loan because they couldn't agree terms for a full transfer.

I read something in the Speedway Star that Doyle was on a season long loan because they couldn't agree terms for a full transfer.

Doyle back at Swindon next year then ?

Leicester is Not worth anywhere near what DH valued it a few years ago.

How worthwhile is it for the regular meetings?

Incidentally, it was interesting that Hemsley said anyone who wants to alter the track could buy it from him for what it cost to build, not what it is worth now.

I'm sure he has all of the costs properly documented :wink:

Doyle back at Swindon next year then ?

Leicester is Not worth anywhere near what DH valued it a few years ago.

£650,000 or something like that wasn't it? (or £800,000 "selling price").

It sounds a bit like some of those characters who go onto Dragons Den on TV claiming their company is worth Zmillion and within about 5 minutes Peter Jones has reduced the real value to about a tenth.

• Like 1

Hey ho Bornagain , nice to see you still take an interest

The interest is there but I have only been once since 2012 and that was the reduced price sky meeting this season. I tend not to post because if I'm not there it's not fair to comment on the weekly track debate etc. I still follow on updates etc but too much to pay for me on a regular basis when the entertainment isn't there. Granted it does seem, from updates and posts, that some meetings have a lot more genuine passes and close racing compared to when I went regualrly but full price now for both my son and me which makes a big hole in £50 with a couple of drinks each and fuel. Hope you're well and the lad is enjoying life?

The interest is there but I have only been once since 2012 and that was the reduced price sky meeting this season. I tend not to post because if I'm not there it's not fair to comment on the weekly track debate etc. I still follow on updates etc but too much to pay for me on a regular basis when the entertainment isn't there. Granted it does seem, from updates and posts, that some meetings have a lot more genuine passes and close racing compared to when I went regualrly but full price now for both my son and me which makes a big hole in £50 with a couple of drinks each and fuel. Hope you're well and the lad is enjoying life?

I agree, don't go with my grandson as often as I like, by the time I have filled up with diesel and a couple of cups of coffee each, I am out of pocket for around £60. So there is no wayon this earth that I could get there every other week.

I agree, don't go with my grandson as often as I like, by the time I have filled up with diesel and a couple of cups of coffee each, I am out of pocket for around £60. So there is no wayon this earth that I could get there every other week.

To be fair, the way you say costs around £60 means you can't afford to go on a regular basis, is not a problem unique to Leicester.. if you lived roughly the same distance from any Elite League circuit the "nights cost" would be roughly the same... This is a speedway issue, not A Leicester Speedway issue..

The racing at BP is improving, as the banking increases, the depth and density of the racing surface beds and settles and also gets a fair bit of rubber granules mixed in. However, it could be so much better, but I think Leicesters place is in the Elite League, or the top division, whatever it's called...

I'm sure he has all of the costs properly documented :wink:

£650,000 or something like that wasn't it? (or £800,000 "selling price").

It sounds a bit like some of those characters who go onto Dragons Den on TV claiming their company is worth Zmillion and within about 5 minutes Peter Jones has reduced the real value to about a tenth.

His price was over one million for everything. (Not sure what everything includes)

I feel he closed early as he is aware crowds are dropping fast and he may not get many in for a worthless friendly match to break even, this makes the future of speedway in Leicester look rather bleak.

Many in the sport since it started told him that the track needed changing as it's not entertaining but he still wouldn't except it yet fans are walking away. Real sad.