British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bash

Ipswich 2016

Bit odd to see Paco leave as an asset. Overall though i think Ipswich have built a fairly solid team, should be one challenging at the top especially if Kerr can get going quick.

Taken from Evening star online

It is a team built on top-end power and Louis is happy with the side he has put together.

“I guess the fact only two riders remain from last season’s team shows the disappointment I felt about our 2015 effort,” Louis said.

“It is not a solid a 1-7 as I have put together in past seasons, but the top five is stronger and I don’t think it will take our reserves long to get up to speed.

“Darryl Ritchings is as good a three-point National League rider as you will find – every club has to have one in their team.

“This is a team that no-one will write-off before the season starts and is good enough to win the title.

“Apart from anything else, it’s entertaining and full of racers.

“My first thought was always to get Danny (King) and Nico (Covatti) back. And I’m glad they wanted to come back.

“Morten Risager is a rider we all know well and will be our rock, especially at Foxhall, while I know Lewis Kerr can’t wait to get racing and is fully recovered from his crash last season.

“James Sarjeant, Darryl Ritchings and Paco Castagna are all young talents. Paco has been signed on a full transfer from Sheffield and is now our asset.

“I always start a new season positive and with the team I’ve put together for 2016, I very much do so again.”

Ipswich Witches 2016: Danny King, Nico Covatti, Lewis Kerr, Morten Risager, James Sarjeant, Paco Castagna and Darryl Ritchings.

• Like 1

Lets look at the team compared to last years.

King and Covatti remain

Kerr v Tungate - depending on how Lewis has recovered i would say possibly a stronger signing

Risager v Manzares - not a lot in it but maybe Morten

Sargeant v Heeps - again not a lot in it but James is improving where as Cam maybe going stale.

Castagna v Nielsen - plenty of potential with Paco but Stefan still the better rider at the moment

Richings v Morris - definatly Ash

so in my eyes , on paper , not exactly better than last year but its good to see a refreshed team and riders like Tungate and Heeps moved on.

plenty of optimism again and hopefully an improver in Paco.

a lot depends on Kerr in my eyes

Well that team adds up to 42.31. I don't know if any gets reductions.

A better top five than the supposed line up, but unknown how the reserves will fair.. I suppose Paco will get better the more laps he does round Foxhall as he didn't look good at the 16 lapper. How well the team does depends on how Lewis returns from injury & Morten returns from a year away. Also how much disruption with clashes of fixtures with King, Kerr & Sarjeant.

You know we will have the longest match threads now with people commenting on Sarjeant's perfect starts. :wink: As I sit right on the start line in the home straight I should have a good view of this!

Feel sorry for Ashley Morris as I think he did enough in his short spell last season to deserve a place this season.

Daryl is a very good choice for number 7. When Coventry signed him in the NL last season I questioned the sanity of the move and was told to wait and see and I'd be wrong. I was, massively. He must have been one of, if not the most consistent NL heat leader last season. Paco is a pretty tidy rider over on the continent, should be looking at getting into the 5s while Sarj has just come on at a steady rate the last 2 or 3 seasons so no reason he can't be pushing for 6.5 this season. As for the top 4, all proven performers, King is as good a number 1 as any, Covatti probably has a little improvement in him, Kerrs career has only really seen him move in one direction (with a little stall last year) and Risager is what he is, a 3rd heat leader who is no in a second string role.

Can only compare it to other complete teams, thats Berwick. This team is better. But it's Ipswich, you just know it's going to fall short, again.

A bit strange that Sheffield let Paco go no? Even stranger to take him on as an asset and then sell him so quickly.

Maybe that was the only way they'd release him?

It's always a risk signing riders on assessed averages as they rarely hit those initial averages.

But once you get them on "real" averages you then reap the benefits.

That's what makes the release of Castagna a little strange to me.

A no brainier on 3.33 surely?

Feel a bit for Lewis Rose as it's safe now to assume he was in the intended line up until issues came about with Nielsen.

Rose it seems has been the unfortunate one to make way in a slight reshuffle so hopefully he gets himself fixed up elsewhere for next season.

I'm sure he will.

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey
  • Like 1

Well, having had a bit of thinking time I believe any potential silverware success will revolve around those in the team with the ability to up their averages.

Danny King, a great No1 who should certainly remain around the 9+ mark.

James Sarjeant, a better main team choice for me than Stefan Nielsen and a true gating tart.

Lewis, Good heat leader if fully recovered from his horrendous injury last season.

Morten Risager, well Morten is who he is, a white line willy but should be a good 2nd string.

Nico Covatti, box office rider, all action, never gives up, good signing.

Paco Castagna, only saw him in 16 lapper and wasn't impressed but ought to improve with a bit of track time.

Darryl Ritchings, don't really know much about him but every team has to have a 3pt man so go for it boy.

To me it seems like the new top heavy approach is going to be tried in 2016, we have a long tail in the team but I'm sure if they can up their averages who knows how it will go.

The main thing we need to do is become alot more convincing and unbeatable at home, that was last seasons big let down!

I think thats a tidy side and should be very competitive.

Its a shames that Rose didnt still fit (i have long been an advocate of Brit only reserves) I hope he gets a place elsewhere. If Brit riders like Rose Ash Branford etc dont get places then the new No7 rule has failed IMO.

Sarjeant is a good signing - certainly further improvement in him.

really don't understand some of the animosity aimed at Risager. he consistently averages around 7, more at home... anyone who thinks he just rides the white line is wrong. i have seen him from the centre green, overtake on the last bend, countless times. and if, he is front, as was usually the case around Foxhall...why on earth would he ride a greater distance! of course hes going to ride the white line... massive upgrade on Tungate, who despite his cockiness, was going backwards...

• Like 1

Reference Mr Tungate .............Beating Bomber (three times), Puk, AJ and KK on the Sunday then Super Nicki and Dudek the next night, going backwards? Are you sure? Possibly not the greatest team man ever.......but there is something there.

If Lewis rides anything like he did against when the Diamonds came down in June, I'll be very happy, he was brilliant that night.

Happy with the 1-7.

Is there any news on where Cam and Rohan are likely to end up?

Reference Mr Tungate .............Beating Bomber (three times), Puk, AJ and KK on the Sunday then Super Nicki and Dudek the next night, going backwards? Are you sure? Possibly not the greatest team man ever.......but there is something there.

Must have been a big track with large sweeping bends then, he's not the smoothest when it comes to turning left on most British tracks.

And there certainly appeared to be a motivational problem with him, maybe we were paying him too much, then he only had to do it when he fancied it.

Edited by spanner47

fair point... somethings there, when he can give a ????... away from Foxhall, he was to often found wanting. at home, one week would be a paid max. followed by 3 or 4 next week. the rest of the team weren't strong enough to carry him.

Tungate just seems to think hes better than he actually is, and certainly far to good for the premier league...

• Like 1

Big Hitter in King,not sure about tail end though looks weak IMO

Edited by Fromafar