British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

A foreign rider no doubt & other clubs will also do the same.

So much for the draft reserve system being designed to help British riders & stop high scoring foreign reserves.

The only way one of this pair will get out of reserve is if we re-sign Jamrog.

• Like 1

The only way one of this pair will get out of reserve is if we re-sign Jamrog.

Wouldn't put it past our inept promotion.

We protected a tier one rider that no one would have picked anyway, when we could have protected Barker and then, most likely, still have picked up Sarj or Bates in round 2.

It's all well and good having an up and coming pairing that will be cannon fodder all year, but when you're shutting down at the end of the year, what's the point?

I think they both must have been T1 riders

Think we should see the other reserve pairings before judging.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

This sport is an absolute joke. I'll be there, like the fool I am, next March but, as I've said before, once Coventry closes, that's it.

This fast-track draft was supposed to be a long-term plan to help develop the next level of British riders. As usual (and they can dress it up how they like) it's essentially been abandoned after 2 years. So much for long term planning. Now these riders have averages, and after 'x' amount of meetings will be subject to movement into the top 5 if their averages deem it necessary, they are nothing more than old-fashioned EL reserves.

And to hear that riders such as Howarth are now allowed to be included as a 'draft' rider just confirms to me that the principles of the system (to improve young up-and-coming riders and give them opportunities to ride in the top league) have been totally abandoned. Howarth has been around for years!

Then, of course, we get the average manipulations. EL riders, with EL averages going back for more than one season, now allowed to use converted PL averages? Please tell me that whoever has posted this has been misinformed. Kyle Howarth, who has spent the last 2 years gaining an average of over 5 as a second sting is now allowed to sign as a reserve on a converted PL average which will, of course, be less than his current, genuine, realistic, EL average. You couldn't make it up!

And within 'x' meetings, Howarth and others will move into the main body of the team and the reserve berths will be no longer protected for up and coming British riders.

Well done BSPA on another 'Grand Plan' superbly executed.

The fact is, what Coventry have done (whether intentionally or not) is exactly how the draft should have worked. We've promoted our tier 1 rider into the main body of the team, moved our Tier 2 rider up, and brought in a new Tier 2 rider. Not rocket science, is it?

Edited by G the Bee
  • Like 7

Their promotion to the team proper is only any good if they are ready, or it will possibly be a backward step? Poland keep their young riders at reserve even when they are gp standard!

• Like 1

This sport is an absolute joke. I'll be there, like the fool I am, next March but, as I've said before, once Coventry closes, that's it.

This fast-track draft was supposed to be a long-term plan to help develop the next level of British riders. As usual (and they can dress it up how they like) it's essentially been abandoned after 2 years. So much for long term planning. Now these riders have averages, and after 'x' amount of meetings will be subject to movement into the top 5 if their averages deem it necessary, they are nothing more than old-fashioned EL reserves.

And to hear that riders such as Howarth are now allowed to be included as a 'draft' rider just confirms to me that the principles of the system (to improve young up-and-coming riders and give them opportunities to ride in the top league) have been totally abandoned. Howarth has been around for years!

Then, of course, we get the average manipulations. EL riders, with EL averages going back for more than one season, now allowed to use converted PL averages? Please tell me that whoever has posted this has been misinformed. Kyle Howarth, who has spent the last 2 years gaining an average of over 5 as a second sting is now allowed to sign as a reserve on a converted PL average which will, of course, be less than his current, genuine, realistic, EL average. You couldn't make it up!

And within 'x' meetings, Howarth and others will move into the main body of the team and the reserve berths will be no longer protected for up and coming British riders.

Well done BSPA on another 'Grand Plan' superbly executed.

The fact is, what Coventry have done (whether intentionally or not) is exactly how the draft should have worked. We've promoted our tier 1 rider into the main body of the team, moved our Tier 2 rider up, and brought in a new Tier 2 rider. Not rocket science, is it?

Kyle has a 2015 Elite League average

So much negativity already. If Jason Garrity is in fact signed in the top 5 of the team, is anyone on here actually saying he is not good enough because I for one think he most certainly is!

• Like 1

Good that he will start on his EL average and also good that he's in the draft. The draft should be helping riders just like him. People forget he is still young.

Neil you and your fellow promoters have turned a once great sport into a circus I have been a fan at Coventry for 56 years I'm sorry but you will not be getting my pension next season.

So much negativity already. If Jason Garrity is in fact signed in the top 5 of the team, is anyone on here actually saying he is not good enough because I for one think he most certainly is!

It's got nothing to do with Jason it's the promoters that have made the fast track system a mockery

Good that he will start on his EL average and also good that he's in the draft. The draft should be helping riders just like him. People forget he is still young.

That is rubbish the draft was to help the up and coming youngsters not the likes of Howarth/Barker etc both those ribers have been in the England squad
  • Like 1

Neil you and your fellow promoters have turned a once great sport into a circus I have been a fan at Coventry for 56 years I'm sorry but you will not be getting my pension next season.

It's got nothing to do with Jason it's the promoters that have made the fast track system a mockery

That is rubbish the draft was to help the up and coming youngsters not the likes of Howarth/Barker etc both those ribers have been in the England squad

Howarth rode for the under 21s last year! He is still young plenty of draft riders much older than him. Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Congrats on completely missing the point. Nobody has mentioned Garrity as everyone knew he wasn't in the draft.

People are more concerned that we, apparently, overlooked an experienced club asset and signed a vulnerable looking reserve pairing.

Our pairing is in the original spirit of the draft, but that won't help us when we're anchored to 7th, just above Lakeside.

• Like 1

Howarth rode for the under 21s last year! He is still young plenty of draft riders much older than him.

how old is Howard not under 21 I'm sure the point is the principle of the draft in the first place

how old is Howard not under 21 I'm sure the point is the principle of the draft in the first place

He is 21 but 22 when the season starts. He will be younger than Worrall, Auty, Starke, Blackbird, Mear, Wright, Kerr, Rose, Sarjeant and thats just of the top of my head.

Edit to add Newman too.

Edited by woz01

howarth is 21, which makes him younger than the majoirty of last year's FTR

He is 21 but 22 when the season starts. He will be younger than Worrall, Auty, Starke, Blackbird, Mear, Wright, Kerr, Rose, Sarjeant and thats just of the top of my head.

add Newman to that list and maybe a second Worrall

so you don't think young promising brits should be allowed in the draft?

Edited by waihekeaces1