British Speedway Forum
Jacques

Coventry 2016

With just under 15 points left for the last two places and two heat leaders already signed, they need to be looking at Kasprzak 7.97, Watt 7.17, Zengota 7.79 or Batchelor 6.91 and dare I say t but I think a season at Brandon would be good for all concerned for Jacob Thorssell 6.18 as a second string.

Davey Watt, not in my lifetime.

• Like 3

Always like to have my two pennies worth.

I understand the reasoning of lowering the cost of the younger person, hoping to attract more to the sport, but not at the expense of those who already support the sport. From my visit to various tracks the crowd always have a big percentage of older patrons. But persecuting them is wrong. Some will continue to follow the sport, while others will say sod this. Its quite obvious from the new pricing structure the older generation is not favoured. Weighing the extra income against the absenteeism of others will be a close call, all it will do is drive people away............. That's the last thing any club wants. The terraces are empty enough already,,,

At a time when stupid decisions are creating havoc with the sport, to me, this is another one to add to the list.........This decision will benefit no one.....

• Like 3

I understand the reasoning of lowering the cost of the younger person, hoping to attract more to the sport, but not at the expense of those who already support the sport. From my visit to various tracks the crowd always have a big percentage of older patrons. But persecuting them is wrong. Some will continue to follow the sport, while others will say sod this. Its quite obvious from the new pricing structure the older generation is not favoured. Weighing the extra income against the absenteeism of others will be a close call, all it will do is drive people away............. That's the last thing any club wants. The terraces are empty enough already,,,

At a time when stupid decisions are creating havoc with the sport, to me, this is another one to add to the list.........This decision will benefit no one.....

Well it benefits me👍

Persecution? Don't be ridiculous.

We have had a single-tier admission policy for the Coventry Storm since its inception without any criticism at all, our admissions policy for 2016 simply extends this to the senior team.

How many OAPs attend the storm meetings then?

It's a single-tier admission policy......... Nineteen or ninety, they're a fan!

• Like 2

Persecution? Don't be ridiculous.

We have had a single-tier admission policy for the Coventry Storm since its inception without any criticism at all, our admissions policy for 2016 simply extends this to the senior team.

No doubt the Coventry Storm entrance is considerably cheaper, and affordability is everything. There are a lot of elderly people worse off than others and struggle to make ends meet., .To put their admission up is the decision you've made. Hope it don't back fire on you. but time will tell....

Point of thought though!!!: For every elderly person who stays away next year, you will be need 4 people to pay extra to equal what you received previously That's 20% drop in attendance.......If that figure is a drop of, say 25% then you are on a loser......... Lose money; lose attendance; lose spin-offs; lose atmosphere.

That's a big gamble...... in a time when you need all the support you can get............

• Like 2

Whatever the rights and wrongs of concessions for the over 60's the reality is that they are commonly provided by those who are competing for the entertainment dollar. It is a risk taking away something many fans have enjoyed and benefited from but no doubt Coventry are hoping that most of those fans, who will be long time dedicated supporters, will grin and bear it, whatever their feelings about the way their loyalty is being repaid.

My guess is that the numbers have been worked out and that the calculations are that the overall takings at the turnstiles will be increased.

As for the ignorant point about the state pension being a benefit all such pensions are, for current pensioners, calculated on contributions made over a lifetime. The pension paid out is a percentage of the maximum entitlement based on the number of years you have contributed. In effect you have paid for your pension just as you do for a private pension.

• Like 1

That was not the Question!!!!!!

From the Bees website

COVENTRY have moved to bring former World No.2 Krzysztof Kasprzak back to Brandon for the 2016 season.

The Polish star will be going into his third spell with the Buildbase Bees, having played a vital role in the dramatic title triumph of 2010.

His second spell in 2013, the last time he rode in the UK, was less memorable in a struggling Coventry team although he still returns with a 7.97 average and the following year he was runner-up to Greg Hancock in the World Championship.

He comes back to British racing to form a strong top spearhead at Brandon along with skipper Chris Harris, and it leaves Bees with one name to confirm to complete the team.

Promoter Mick Horton said: "Almost every other club in the league has been after Krzysztof, but he wanted to come here and we've worked very hard to make it happen.

"When you look around the league, and especially with some of the riders who aren't coming back next season, this gives us a very strong top order, which is what I always said I wanted in the team.

"Krzysztof will probably start the season with the second-highest average of anyone in the league, and he was absolutely the best option for us. He is a World-class rider and it's only a year ago that he was second in the GP series.

"He is very keen to have a positive season with us and make up for 2013. He has a point to prove and we're now in a position where I wouldn't swap our heat-leader trio for any other in the league."

The remaining team place is close to being finalised, and an announcement on that is expected in the near future.

Awaits the opening of the can of worms...
  • Like 2

KK is a great signing in a weak league, will be the 2nd best rider in the league, and on a sub 8.00 average.

• Like 1

That was not the Question!!!!!!

It's implicit in a single-tier admission policy that we don't know the status of individual fans - other than them being over 16........

• Like 1

I'm not to worried about the KK of 2013 (even if he was distinctly underwhelming that season) because the KK of 2013 should still score well in this weakened EL (we seem to use this phrase to compare against previous seasons far too often). I'm more worried about the KK of 2015.

The fact is, if KK rides anything like he is capable of, he is more than capable of being amongst the top 3 or 4 riders in the league. For me, Doyle is the best heatleader, followed by Holder. If Zagar returns to BV, then he will be up there too. KK? Who knows? He's an enigma.

But what other options were there? To be honest, I think with the lack of top level riders about, and Bees losing Hans Andersen (surely KK can't be as disappointing as Andersen was last year) we've done well. I suspect there will be teams out there that would do anything for a top 3 of KK, Harris and King.

I would have liked to have seen Larsen back but, if he's on form, KK is a better rider than Larsen. It's that big 'if' again.

How many points do we have left?

Edited by G the Bee
  • Like 1

Well said 👍🏻

Good signing - assuming he isn't the one who competed in the SGPs last year!

• Like 1