British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Electric6

A Way Forward For National League Racing?

If you take all the guys who averaged over 7 and put them in the Premier League

Someone answer

1 - who moves into the premier

2 - who steps in and replaces them in the national league?

Again you don't see it Midland DEVELOPMENT league. What you are saying is there already. And as *JJ said its a brilliant league in my view.

If you take all the guys who averaged over 7 and put them in the Premier League

Someone answer

1 - who moves into the premier

2 - who steps in and replaces them in the national league?

There's a massive gap so the 7+ in this league average less than 4 points and will do them not one bit of good with confidence. That's why NL as it is has to be a good idea

Yeah what about the riders that do pl don't score and costs them a fortune because they can't do NL but have a 7.51 average so have to do pl lose money and lose another rider due to costs

• Like 1

I think some of you are missing the point

If you remove the 7+ pointers from the Premier League and make them go Elite League racing to make that League stronger

Then the guys moving up from National League on +7 averages will not be racing against a certain level of rider every week

Doing this would make the Premier League a stronger version of what the National League is ableit with foreign riders - BUT young brits will be racing against better riders than they are now - it would widen the gap between Premier League and Elite League racing which is what the sport needs

Not many people liked the changes to Darts and look how strong that sport/game is now

• Like 1

What happens if the riders aren't good enough look what happend when Peterborough went to the house and their foreign reserves rose against 2 British reserves? Emil frontal went out and best Kennett in heat 1!

That's simple

All premier league clubs have to track 2 British reserves.

No draft, however the top runners in the national league go in on a 5 average the rest on a 3.

Ellis and Wilson-Dean could quite easily go into the main body of a premier league team under such circumstances.

Premier League teams should be put together on a 38 average maximum.

Electric6 I fully appreciate you are offering an idea about a sport you have a passion for but Jeez, I can't help wonder what you have been smoking. The NL was probably the best product in 2015, sure it needs a tweek here and there but certainly not turned into a giant mdl

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 2

I think some of you are missing the point

If you remove the 7+ pointers from the Premier League and make them go Elite League racing to make that League stronger

Then the guys moving up from National League on +7 averages will not be racing against a certain level of rider every week

Doing this would make the Premier League a stronger version of what the National League is ableit with foreign riders - BUT young brits will be racing against better riders than they are now - it would widen the gap between Premier League and Elite League racing which is what the sport needs

Not many people liked the changes to Darts and look how strong that sport/game is now

with the greatest respect E6 i think it's you that is missing the point. i'm not denying that when the third tier was set up it's intention was as a nursery league it's my guess that most teams ran a second team,but it's not the 1960's ? any more. the national league has become a last choice for some teams to stay alive or fold. i don't think either birmingham or eastbourne would have ridden this year if the P.L. was the only alternative to the E.L. , and i don't think cradley could have come back when they did if it meant going straight into the P.L. either. stoke , mildenhall and next year I.O.W. will be there because they couldn't keep afloat in the P.L. your idea, however well intentioned, would force these clubs to be training tracks, which is all well and good if you have a senior side in the top 2 divisions. why should they be made into speedway schools for the benefit of british speedway when the richest club in britain runs the buccaneers for one season when no-one can touch them and then axes them after the second because they are losing a bit of money ? i like 4tt 's but i don't want to watch them every week. as you can tell my opinion is tinted as i support one off the aforementioned teams but my guess is yours is tinted by you supporting a club in the top 2 divisions.

Edited by gee jay

teaboy i admit the 4 rider team might be far fetched but the nl & pl need to be bought closer together and the el pushed away from both

gee jay - i get what you are saying an agree with most but as i have said above, the MDL can become the nursery class then these youngsters can be fed into the PL at the bottom and the cream will rise all the way to the top

Speedway in its current guile cannot sustain 3 leagues

teaboy i admit the 4 rider team might be far fetched but the nl & pl need to be bought closer together and the el pushed away from both

gee jay - i get what you are saying an agree with most but as i have said above, the MDL can become the nursery class then these youngsters can be fed into the PL at the bottom and the cream will rise all the way to the top

Speedway in its current guile cannot sustain 3 leagues

Yes it can, a fixed race night for the EL which PL teams are not allowed to race on would solve the problems of riders being unavailable racing for their other British club, doubling up should be for Brits only too.

The necessity for PL teams to all track a three point reserve will mean these riders are competitive, there should have been a draft with two British reserves for each PL team but it hasn't happened unfortunately.

Last season (2015) the NL found a good balance, plenty of young Brits have come into the league and made steps forward, something which will carry on next season, the points limit is likely to go up a little but not enough to put young riders out of work and see the old guard come back in stealing pocket money from kids. A few experienced heads do work at this level nonetheless and there is scope to allow this to happen.

Things are by no means perfect but they have started to move in a more positive direction. Now is not time to rip up the blueprint.

• Like 2

Now what is the national league about? Should it be about teams winning titles and becoming the mini Poole of this league dominating or should it be about developing young British riders to progress up the ranks?

I think the National League needs in essence a Major Revamp - I think it HAS to focus on the individual rider rather than the team and thus I would propose the following

National League divided into North/South with more clubs asked to compete

National League North -

Birmingham

Buxton

Coventry

Cradley

Glasgow

Belle Vue

Edinburgh

Sheffield

National League South -

Eastbourne

Kent

Kings Lynn

Mildenhall

Rye House

Stoke

Peterborough/Ipswich

Poole

The season should run from May 1st - August 31st

Teams should consist of 4 rider teams with 1 reserve and the format should be 16 heats and 4 teams per meeting i.e. Eastbourne at home vs Kent vs Kings Lynn vs Mildenhall

This would focus on individual riding, not team riding with the emphasis on individual rider developement whilst working towards a team goal.

Each club get 14 home meetings and 14 away meetings.

Top 2 from each division meeting in the "Grand Final" at a neutral venue

Points awarded 4 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and 0 for last place.

This would offer any young rider plenty of meetings and experience and again with the emphasis of riding individually against 3 other riders who are not team-mates with the sole focus of winning, not looking out for your team-mate, not tactically riding etc. just pure racing, we could develop a set of riders with a winning mentality under this format.

Since when has Stoke been in the South its North of Birmingham and Coventry

ffs it was used as an example, it wasn't looked at with usage of a map or knowledge of locations, who cares where stoke is anyway

ffs it was used as an example, it wasn't looked at with usage of a map or knowledge of locations, who cares where stoke is anyway

It can't be used as an example of a northern club would be in a southern league

I appreciate e6 efforts however I can't see these changes ever coming into play and gladly not definilty won't be voting you to be eastbournes or Kent's next promoter lol

I only pop in now and again to see if there has been an improvement in the way speedway is help and quite excited by the title but alas no.

How about equally talented riders racing against each other?. Not been for few years now to any speedway as 80% of races were either won from gate or riders that far strung out i had neck ache watching them.

Just as a small aside. How to we get Cradley in North and Stoke in South when Stoke is further up M6?.

Probably had the map view as landscape instead of portrait.

Though this is a forum for bouncing ideas around most may disagree with the OP but it could be the way forward.

Must admit I think it's totally wrong to use Guests or RR in any league but at NL it's farcical.

Edited by Triple.H.