British Speedway Forum
steve19620

1970 - Grieves Davidson Or Derek Greaves ?

Does anybody who whether Grieves Davidson or Derek Greaves rode for Berwick in Workington's first ever meeting on 3 April 1970 ?

Speedway Star states that Grieves Davidson rode in the match report, however I have conflicting information that Derek Greaves actually rode.

As this was a challenge meeting there is no official confirmation who actually rode.

Does any forum members have further information who actually rode ?

Thanks for reading.

Speedway Researcher website gives Grieves Davidson for April 3 1970, then the next match also names Derek Grieves!

Yes I know ! It was me that prepared the file for the researcher website.

With the Speedway Star being unreliable I can't guarantee whether Derek Gre(i)aves is right !

Does anybody have a marked programme to clarify who rode in the opening Workington meeting ?

Cheers

I was looking for something else earlier on when I came across a Berwick v Workington programme from 2004. In the Great Matches of the Past' column they feature the Workington v Berwick opener. They list the scorers in 1-7 order:

Workington 37 (Lou Sansom 6(4), Dave Kumeta 2(3), Reg Wilson 4(3), Morris Wilson 2+1(3), Vic Lonsdale 6+2(5), Ian Armstrong 3(3) and Malcolm Mackay 14(5).

Berwick 39 (Alan Paynter 3+1(4), Andy Meldrum 8(4), Maury Robinson 7+1(4), Ken Omond 3+2(4), Peter Kelly 7(4), Ian Paterson 6(3) and Derek Greaves 5(3).

The article continues with the Speedway Star match report by Stan Wilson. Programme editor was Dennis McLeary with Gavin Renton credited as club historian.

I've also spotted on the Bandits website what I assume to be the 'contradicting' information, listing as they do Grieves Davidson. Also found this on Matt Jackson's site http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/grievesdavidson.html which talks of Davidson retiring sometime during 1969.

Last possible lead, in the Berwick programme of 6/9/1980, Derek Greaves appears in a 1970 team picture taken at Shielfield Park. Same team as above but with Roy Williams replacing Ken Omand.

Edited by daveallan81