British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
squibby

Mildenhall 1981

Is there anyone out there as old as me, and who was a Mildenhall supporter back in 1981 ?

I recently acquired a medallion in silver metal, with a speedway rider in the centre. The background is a mustard colour.

On the reverse is engraved " 1981 " and " B. Coles ".

I believe Bob Coles started at Mildenhall in the 1981 season, but things did not work out and he moved to Exeter.

I wondered if Mildenhall may have given one of these medallions to each of their riders at the start of the season? I think this because there is no engraving saying " winner " or similar, so I don't think it was for a meeting as such.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Thanks.

Bob Coles began the 1981 season at Weymouth but lost his team place and moved to Exeter at the end of August. I don't see any results in the yearbook that would result in the awarding of a medal to Bob in 1981.

Thanks for that.

I thought it may have been Mildenhall due to the colour scheme, but clearly not.

I came to the same conclusion as regards a lack of medal winning by Bob that year.

Looks like it will remain a mystery unless I can ask Bob himself sometime !

Hey Tracy Bird - you may have hit on the answer !! :t:

I'll look into that possibility a bit more. Thanks.

This may have been a medal that was presented by veteran (since 1928) Speedway follower Bob Spence. Although living in Leeds, Bob had adopted Weymouth as "his" team in 1974 (a journey that travelled via Johnnie Hoskins, Canterbury, Bob Hughes and Weymouth lodging at Bobs house on northern tours) and used to make a presentation to everyone who had ridden for Weymouth each year. The presentation definitely included a medal/medallion of some sort every time.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the design etc but hope this helps.

:)

I followed Bristol Bulldogs in 1978 and Bob Coles was a Mildenhall rider (National League) who rode occasionally for Bristol at 6 or 7......he averaged 10+ in the National League but only around 5 in the grown-up discipline.