British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Plymouth Remain Open!

I've got a feeling about Exeter amongst all of this. David Short, Allen Trump, Seemond Stephens all connected to the Falcons. A resurgent Falcons are more of a 'name' than the Devils, and with their proposed return imminent, who knows? Something just stinks about this.

This is awful news for the fans and riders of Plymouth and I am so very sorry for them.

If the attendance for the opening meeting was so crucial I would question the scheduling of a very cheap and nasty individual meeting format for that opener instead of waiting a week for an official team match against local rivals.

Has there been a split within the promotion? Failing to achieve a low break-even point of 700 makes quite desperate reading.

As ever I am sure there's much more to this than can be seen. I do hop[e that something can be done to rescue the situation - and find those 700 fans!

I loved my trip there a couple of years back and was desperately frustrated that despite spending a fortnight in Devon last September there were no meetings at the SBA while I was down there!

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

So it's taken 11 years and nearly 5 months since Colin Hill's death (30-Oct-2004) to reach today's extraordinarily-timed exit by the club who galloped so recklessly through the final chunk of his legacy for speedway, ideally in-or-around Exeter but later widened across the rest of Devon.

My first dealings with any speedway promoter were with Colin Hill in 1988-&-89 when I was studying in Exeter so although I now live well away from the South-West, it saddens me greatly to see such an abrupt end for the Devils.

I've plenty of sympathy for Plymouth's riders and fans ... another name I'd add to that list (although I've often been critical of his overall BSPA chairmanship in recent years) is Alex Harkess given his immense determination in previous winters to keep the Devils included within the Premier League.

What a kick in the teeth for such outside effort in the recent past for the local guardians of the club to bale out at such an early stage of this season ... at the very least, the Devils riders, fans and the speedway world in general deserve a much better explanation than today's brief news from David Short (or anyone else near the top of that club) to explain why it's taken just one individual meeting to drive such a wretched skewer into their 2016 budget.

From my distance, it looks like Mr Short should never again be allowed anywhere near the running of a speedway club given the budget gap that's suddenly yawned open here.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 6

I just said to my Uncle it would be great if Debbie Hancock put a challenge meeting together a week Friday against the Devils. Anyone agree?

• Like 4

sorry to say this, but it looks like holder will be heading home as no teams are going to change their line ups. its Plymouth or no one . (2 year sponsor ) there is a time scale involved . ty had to leave pretty sharpish. so with jack not having a sponsor it looks like goodbye . not the best decision by the Plymouth people, but maybe the best financial one .. sad..

Surely, as with Sponsor visas for brits in aus, you get 28 days to search for a new sponsor before you have to leave?

Pretty crappy for Jack Holder he must be wondering what he's done to deserve all this.

Comes over on an agreed 5 average to a team that includes his mate Brady Kurtz, that all changes overnight and he becomes a 7.

Plymouth take him on amid accusations of cheating against the Rebels from various angles. Then Plymouth resign him for this season and go bust...and now looks like it is home for him now.

He must look at Brady's career so far and think what's happened.

I really hope something gets sorted for this lad, he has genuine talent and deserves better than this.

• Like 3

A terrible shame. Last time I was there a couple of years ago crowd looked good. Must've dropped off alarmingly

Not so I think? Yes, rain-off's and Saturday meetings do seem to have an effect. Last Friday was bloody cold, and for a challenge/individual/pointless opener, I would say more than 450 thru' the gate? may be? We are all gutted, upset and angry! Very angry! Just hope Superman arrives quickly!

• Like 2

Horrendous times. Now is not the time for any finger pointing etc but it does make you question who does the budgets?

I mean if you are only getting 450 people a week then don't pay wages based upon 700-800 attendee's.

Either way i hope all the riders get fixed up soon and hope they can recoup some of the expense they will have undoubtedly laid out.

Perhaps this opens the door for an Exeter revival?

well, interesting that David Short was able to state 450 .. a mid-March, cold night and an individual meeting. The the crowd for the last competitive team match last September was well over 4 figures. Well over! Yet, he didn't mention that and the Promotion never has. Everything in my business, speedway and logical instincts tells me that there is something inexplicable here. The timing is indefensible. This weekend we were due to race against local rivals Somerset. Surely that would have been a better time to assess. I am furious, upset, devastated and I feel for the riders. After seeing Reading, Exeter, Oxford, Weymouth, Newport & Bristol all close I am now devastated about my home city Plymouth Devils. My 55 year love affair with speedway is now set for divorce.

• Like 4

Shocked to hear the news, lets hope a buyer can be found and fast! Lets remember though they need people turn up and sadly they haven't in big numbers weekly.

They do and will for P/L meetings. It was very cold, all day, would you for a challenge meeting, really?

Mike Bowden now talking about a rescue plan & quoting some interesting rider costs;

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Mike-Bowden-does-end-Plymouth-Devils-speedway/story-28971185-detail/story.html

The trouble with this is that memories are still raw and he isn't too well respected my many people. Any speedway is good speedway for me but, after the promise of a decent 2016 Premier League team, the thought of a drop to the NL is not attractive to many supporters

From my distance, it looks like Mr Short should never again be allowed anywhere near the running of a speedway club given the budget gap that's suddenly yawned open here.

I think it is unwise of you to make such sweeping condemnation from, as you say, a distance.

Mr Short may have been the mouthpiece at this time, but I think you will find that he is far from the villain of the piece on this occasion.

I have to agree, though, that the timing of the announcement is strange.

• Like 1

Mr Short may have been the mouthpiece at this time, but I think you will find that he is far from the villain of the piece on this occasion.

In that case, particularly if you have a closer vantage point, who is ? !!

Best man to save Plymouth would be Chris Dawson (CDS & The Range) Nothing much wrong with the Plymouth team or the track..........Huge crowd potential on the doorstep.... only needs good sales & media people to sell the product.

I have been in business for many years & can see NO REASON why Plymouth could pull crowds of 2 to 3 thousand every week.

Next best man MIGHT be Matt Ford???? but no Mike Bowden PLEASE!

Just worth repeating!

• Like 1