British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

Because Woffinden isn't choosing to dip out of the sport's highest competition.. in fact he is doing quite the opposite.

Maybe Woffinden should duck out of the meaningless Poland vs The Rest of the World the day following the Warsaw GP if he is committed to avoiding burnout. Lets be honest Woffinden rightly or wrongly thinks he has outgrown the British Final and a rare British appearance is too much trouble. Woffinden riding does increase interest,ticket sales and TV audience ,no doubt his PR guru Pearson will fill us in on the night.Don't worry See you all at my merchandise stall at Cardiff, "British fans are the best."

Edited by New Science

went off him today.

pathetic. "double standards" is a two way thing, don't go spouting off to the Sun newspaper to look good, saying how people

used to go and watch the best, Mauger and Briggo......then the best (now) don't give them the opportunity to see them!! double standards my a*se!!

I made no mention of double standards. Don't resort to abuse. I just asked you to get some perspective.

• Like 1

I made no mention of double standards. Don't resort to abuse. I just asked you to get some perspective.

I not gone back and read it, but my apologises

Tai's decision not to ride says more about the state/organisation of British Speedway than it does of Him...and If You can;t work that out then.....Well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Someone who gets it. F***king Halleluljah

• Like 4

What a load of verbal diarrhoea most people on here have spouted. Woffinden was born in England & his parents opted to emigrate to Australia. I don't see how that is his fault & anyone in his position will have a natural affinity with the country & it's people. He grew up there & essentially, it is "home" to him. I have a friend who moved there about 3 years ago & already calls it home.

He chose to represent the country of his birth, but could easily have elected to race for Australia, but didn't. You can argue it was a choice of convenience all you like, but for someone with the confidence he has always had in his own ability, he would have backed himself to get in an Aussie side any day, so the "He races for GB because he couldn't get in the Aussie side" argument is bollox.

He has always been the first to hold his hand up & race in the SWC, just like Bomber has & has excelled very time, just as Bomber has, but he gets a slating from all and sundry as well, because he "doesn't deserve his place in the GP". Brits can't win, can they? Bomber races in every meeting going & gets slated, Woffinden picks his racing & gets slated. Brilliant.

The British Championship means almost nothing these days, unlike in the heady days of the 70's & even the 80's & 90's when there were many world class Brits & several who could win it in any given year, unlike now, when the reality is Woffinden has no real competition & only has to turn up.

If you doubt his commitment - PC dropped out of the BL in 1981 & I remember the uproar when he was denied a place in the WC qualifiers that year, almost everyone came in on his side after the BSPA said he couldn't compete - he even considered taking out a foreign licence to do so, Wiggy did that, took out a foreign licence to race in the WC's back in the late 90's & early noughties. Nicholls refused to race for Team GB & so did the sadly missed Lee Richardson. Assume that's all OK, because everyone wants to bash Woffinden, yet institutions like PC & Wiggy can do what they want. Nicholls is BRitish & proud, but had his reasons for not competing & his decision was respected by most, what is the difference between those I have mentioned & Woffinden. Nowt, as far as I can see.

Woffinden may not be everyone's cup of tea, but don't slate him for looking after his own interests. Many, many riders have done so in the past, usually winners, which, unless I am mistaken, is the name of the game. Ivan Mauger did exactly the same thing & he did OK out of it, didn't he. Woffinden is THE most professional rider in speedway at the moment, which is why he is a double world champion. Speedway is a sport, not a popularity contest & the best know it. Do you think sponsors will care what a few whingers on a forum think, when their man is all across the TV & media promoting them? Of course. Many riders have cut down on their racing due the hectic schedules they have. How many world class stars have stopped racing in the UK - dozens, because it's a pain in the ass with different race days, flights in & out & to be blunt an EL that is about as strong as the second tier sides in Poland & Sweden. So why bother?

The BSPA are bunch of idiots & couldn't run a bath without burning themselves, much less run a "professional sport" properly. Why do you think speedway in the UK is in the mess it is in? Riders have had to wait ages to be paid, put up with poor management & decision making & lord knows what else from the powers that be in this country. It doesn't matter if you are from Birmingham or Botswana, putting up with the crap dished out by the people that run the sport in this country is enough to drive anyone away & there have been plenty of Brit's who have felt the same. They are the ones that cause the issue, not the likes of Woffinden. If his reasoning is that he hasn't been paid on time previously, or that the dates for the semis & final are either side of a GP weekend, or whatever, then to be honest, I would back him totally. In his position I would sooner focus my energy on winning a third world title than race in what, to be honest, is at best a second rate meeting these days.

Regardless of you lot moaning, when he pulls on the GB colours at Cardiff & Belle Vue, there will be plenty cheering him on & if his reaction to his reception at Cardiff in he last few years is anything to go by, with the tremendous support he gets from the Cardiff crowd, he is pretty proud to represent them.

Finally, before I step down from my soap box, if any of you have raised the money he has for charity by doing to bike rides he has, whilst trying to compete as a professional sportsman all across Europe, I take my hat off to you & will accept all your moaning & whinging. If not, I would argue he is a better man than all of you - and me - because, despite what you lot think, he does care & cares about important stuff like raising money to help sick kids have a better life.

Talking of a pile of poo ..first of all he only British because it suits him and the doors that is had opened lets made that clear ..the moment he no longer needs us he turns his back on uk speedway just when it needs him more than ever .

Rather than talk riders who don't ride in the uk how about we talk riders who don't in there own league ? let me know when you find me some names ? As for His charity work that has nothing to do with the points being made that he only a brit because it suited him ....as I said before how does woffy not going in the british final made it better than a second rate event ? how that's helping ? ....if you want to wave your union jack at his while he laughs at you then fair enough but don't expect others to feel the same .

The different between Nicholls ,Collins etc is that no what there actions we understood and trust that they were trust brits unlike the plastic Woffy

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

the ego has taken off again tonight on twitter. Tai says "i done more for speedway in last 3 years than anyone will do in

the next 10".....I sure hope someone proves him wrong now!

• Like 1

Where he is from/born & what nationality we think he wants to be doesnt really matter. He thinks he is too busy to ride in the British final, there are a very select few that are at the top of there game for a sustained period of time, there will be that time when the new kid comes along and takes the speedway world by storm. Tai himself only a few years ago many of us thought he would never reach the levels he has, for that I congratulate him but it's a long way down when you are at the top and then form dips, motivation dips. Happens to the very best. How many have we thought were going to dominate for years...Emil, Hampel, Holder, Ward?

As a PR exercise I thinks it's not great, it's done though and hope he finds it works for him. Eyes are going to be on him off track also.

Roll on the British final in Manchester !! Can't wait.

Cook

Nicholls

Harris

Not so, this is clearly the view of many on here.
Propose those feeling that way email Chapman and Rossiter and advocate TW is not selected for Team GB unless he reverses his decision.
How can 2 meetings burn him out ?

I was wrong, this is the comedy post of 2016!

Check out the amount likes on posts supporting Tai compared to those on posts berating him.

As for your second point :rofl:

Yes he's more an Aussie than a Brit & no matter what spin Rosco gives on this it's a JOKE :mad:

He was born here you buffoon! So yep, more Aussie :rofl:

• Like 3

He was born here you buffoon! So yep, more Aussie :rofl:

? Mo Farrah was born in Somalia ,,Chris Froome in Kenya .. ....thou Tai was born in the uk we all know that he thinks he an aussie and only took the union jack to help him open doors for speedway ....

......or maybe because it's not at his "home" track this year like usual and he doesn't want to be beaten by the Belle Vue boys!!

Yeah, because Woffinden has no clue on big fast tracks does he.

I'd say Cook, Nicholls and Harris have a better chance of beating him at Monmore a track Tai was NEVER particularly dominant on.

• Like 1

? Mo Farrah was born in Somalia ,,Chris Froome in Kenya .. ....thou Tai was born in the uk we all know that he thinks he an aussie and only took the union jack to help him open doors for speedway ....

We do not all know that. Post something which proves it. Good luck!

• Like 1

Talking of a pile of poo ..first of all he only British because it suits him and the doors that is had opened lets made that clear ..the moment he no longer needs us he turns his back on uk speedway just when it needs him more than ever .

Rather than talk riders who don't ride in the uk how about we talk riders who don't in there own league ? let me know when you find me some names ? As for His charity work that has nothing to do with the points being made that he only a brit because it suited him ....as I said before how does woffy not going in the british final made it better than a second rate event ? how that's helping ? ....if you want to wave your union jack at his while he laughs at you then fair enough but don't expect others to feel the same .

The different between Nicholls ,Collins etc is that no what there actions we understood and trust that they were trust brits unlike the plastic Woffy

He's British because he is British.

He didn't qualify to be Australian, that has already been discussed previously.

If your argument is making things up, it's over already.

Tai's decision not to ride says more about the state/organisation of British Speedway than it does of Him...and If You can;t work that out then.....Well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hasn't bothered him for the last 5 years when he had something to gain. Ah a stand against British speedway that he doesn't participate in anymore., Don't forget to count me in for the World Cup thou

• Like 1

Hasn't bothered him for the last 5 years when he had something to gain. Ah a stand against British speedway that he doesn't participate in anymore., Don't forget to count me in for the World Cup thou

Another jealous, bitter soul.

Have you ever changed jobs? Do you still go back to your old job to help out or have you moved on to better yourself and your career.

The sport has changed, it's time people understood that. Woffinden understands it and has adapted to be the very best in the current speedway world. He's a winner and will do whatever is best for him to continue to be so.. just as the great riders of the past did.

• Like 1

Talking of a pile of poo ..first of all he only British because it suits him and the doors that is had opened lets made that clear ..the moment he no longer needs us he turns his back on uk speedway just when it needs him more than ever

Ermmmmm I will try and explain this as simply as I can for you...here goes, HE IS BRITISH BECAUSE HE WAS BORN IN BRITAIN.

And as far as I'm aware it's up to everyone to make there own decisions on how they run there live's/sporting careers, tai has for wotever reason decided against competing in the British Final,which has wotever anyone wants to say, lost its appeal. Then it's totally up to him.

Edited by andys
  • Like 1