British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gresham

How Far Do You Have To Travel?

I have enjoyed our debate sommelier but am at a loss here: what is the Watermill?

Dons reunion

6000 Miles each way

I live in Thailand but I popped back to the UK last week for a couple of meetings and I hired a car and drove to wolverhamton Speedway last Monday and that's the first Speedway I've seen live for a couple of years but to me the trill and exitment has gone, before when I lived in the UK I used to go to 3/4 meetings a week, the way it is going I will be amazed if we still have professional Speedway in a few years time in the UK

• Like 1

Live in Wallington, Surrey - So 75 min drive to Arlington each fortnight weather permitting.

Lakeside is probably closest but Fri night on M25 and working in Central London that is never going to happen.

6000 Miles each way

I live in Thailand but I popped back to the UK last week for a couple of meetings and I hired a car and drove to wolverhamton Speedway last Monday and that's the first Speedway I've seen live for a couple of years but to me the trill and exitment has gone, before when I lived in the UK I used to go to 3/4 meetings a week, the way it is going I will be amazed if we still have professional Speedway in a few years time in the UK

That's a profound comment xmas and one which, sadly, I tend to agree with. We are now seeing signs of what has happened in past years in once flourishing speedway nations which were complete with league set-ups - but no more. I mean New Zealand, Holland and South Africa on the league front, while Australia is no longer the speedway nation it once was with car formulas now dominating there.

I usually have a drink and a chat/debate with Sommelier along with old Sidney on a thursday at Swindon and he does amaze us with his talk of his travels! Used to travel thousands of miles years ago mainly 80's early 90's but just home meetings mostly these days apart from Cardiff and odd Poole meetings when in Dorset on bizzo

• Like 1

Would also visit the tracks you mentioned, Somerset is a track I enjoy particularly like. I didn't drive I always flew to Bristol. Regarding age, i'm no youngster! I still do minimum 4 meetings a week. ie last Thursday Ipswich 430 miles, Friday Somerset 80 miles, tomorrow Wolves 180 miles, Wednesday Poole 190 miles, Thursday Swindon 90 miles Friday day off, Saturday Kings Lynne 400 miles.

Mate you deserve a medal, those are a heck of a distance to travel reguarly, I thought mine was bad Bournemouth to Cradley (Wolverhampton) for home meetings.

Mate you deserve a medal, those are a heck of a distance to travel reguarly, I thought mine was bad Bournemouth to Cradley (Wolverhampton) for home meetings.

Used to go to Cradley Heath every Saturday from the late 60s, such fond memories of Dudley Wood

Would also visit the tracks you mentioned, Somerset is a track I enjoy particularly like. I didn't drive I always flew to Bristol. Regarding age, i'm no youngster! I still do minimum 4 meetings a week. ie last Thursday Ipswich 430 miles, Friday Somerset 80 miles, tomorrow Wolves 180 miles, Wednesday Poole 190 miles, Thursday Swindon 90 miles Friday day off, Saturday Kings Lynne 400 miles.

Yeh but mate, you do get a warm welcome at Poole. Even dear old Norm said it was great to see you..

• Like 1