British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

If The Elite League Goes Down To 7 Teams In Mid Season, Would It Be Able To Carry On Running?

Some people have suggested a Swedish style league of 7/8 teams racing each other once a week, each team home and away. Whilst it would reduce the fixture list, it might reduce the cost of running the extra meetings (and any further losses incurred by staging those meetings?). It would surely increase the rider availability, with a lot of riders stating that fixed race nights and less meetings would entice them back to british speedway. Leaving only the problem of number of meetings for us fans that want to see more... maybe teams can have a youth/development squad similar to MDL or National League standard as well as the (actually) elite team. This would account for more meetings staged, with less expense (as local lads will be on smaller pay) and developing the future of British speedway (with the bigger teams having more incentive to bring on their own talent). Might not be the easiest thing to do, probably wouldnt be a smooth transition, but with patience and the right people in charge, I feel this could be an effective approach

• Like 1

Why would Flagrag make a story up like that, to me it sounds highly likely it happened.

I've highlighted the relevant bit...things 'sounding' likely don't prove (the important aspect) anything.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll have a go at answering my own question then (nobody else seems interested!).

Let's say that Team X, struggling to attract new riders and with sharply declining attendances, can't carry on running any more. They call the BSPA and say "we're pulling out of the league, use the bond to pay money owed to riders". So it becomes a league of 7 instead of 8.

What's more likely to happen?

Scenario A : the other promoters make a collective decision to all chip in and keep Team X running until the end of the season. Somebody is installed by them as promoter. It keeps the league at 8 teams, thus ensuring no fall in fixture numbers, and Sky continuing to broadcast matches.

or...

Scenario B : the other promoters do basically nothing except try to pay riders money owed using the bond, let the league go down to 7 teams, use the "spare" riders to help bolster the remaining teams, but have a reduced fixture list and run the risk that Sky will invoke their prerogative to walk away.

Which one?? Any takers? Place your bets,

And PLEASE if you want to cr*p on about Woffinden, get a bl**dy room!!

Ok, I'll have a go at answering my own question then (nobody else seems interested!).

Let's say that Team X, struggling to attract new riders and with sharply declining attendances, can't carry on running any more. They call the BSPA and say "we're pulling out of the league, use the bond to pay money owed to riders". So it becomes a league of 7 instead of 8.

Scenario A : the other promoters make a collective decision to all chip in and keep Team X running until the end of the season. Somebody is installed by them as promoter. It keeps the league at 8 teams, thus ensuring no fall in fixture numbers, and Sky continuing to broadcast matches.

or...

Scenario B : the other promoters do basically nothing except try to pay riders money owed using the bond, let the league go down to 7 teams, use the "spare" riders to help bolster the remaining teams, but have a reduced fixture list and run the risk that Sky will invoke their prerogative to walk away.

Understand what your saying, but which would you say is more likely ?

I am not going to get into a debate with some posters about previous information and will just add that it would be reasonable for all LIve Sky meetings to be £5 adults and free for kids but then clubs try to get a meeting sponsor to make it free.

When meetings have been sponsored before Sky Always try their best to feature the sponsor like in the Coin toss,background boards and making sure their corporate banners get exposure as we know how hard it is for Speedway to get sponsorship.

Vitality Life insurance sponsored Sky's Netball super league coverage and Badminton coverage which both finished when Sky Speedway coverage started. A lead was given to Speedway powers that be not sure if followed up

Just to add to this thread,

Keith Chapman has promised us a League sponsor for 2017 saying all is in place. If I was to make a guess, I'd go with Adrian Flux Insurance who have been Speedway friendly recently.

Current sponsors of the British GP

Current stadium sponsor at King's Lynn

We'll have to wait and see I suppose

or...

Or C, exactly what happened 3 seasons ago when Brum pulled out mid way thru the season.

Some people have suggested a Swedish style league of 7/8 teams racing each other once a week, each team home and away. Whilst it would reduce the fixture list, it might reduce the cost of running the extra meetings (and any further losses incurred by staging those meetings?). It would surely increase the rider availability, with a lot of riders stating that fixed race nights and less meetings would entice them back to british speedway. Leaving only the problem of number of meetings for us fans that want to see more... maybe teams can have a youth/development squad similar to MDL or National League standard as well as the (actually) elite team. This would account for more meetings staged, with less expense (as local lads will be on smaller pay) and developing the future of British speedway (with the bigger teams having more incentive to bring on their own talent). Might not be the easiest thing to do, probably wouldnt be a smooth transition, but with patience and the right people in charge, I feel this could be an effective approach

If there was a bona fide full strength Elite League then its questionable if fans would watch additional National League standard racing. It might work with stand alone National League teams but look at the drop off in attendances currently at say Coventry Bees and Coventry Storm
  • Like 1

If there was a bona fide full strength Elite League then its questionable if fans would watch additional National League standard racing. It might work with stand alone National League teams but look at the drop off in attendances currently at say Coventry Bees and Coventry Storm

Appreciate that, the bigger gates would be expected for the bigger meetings, but then theyd cost more to run with riders pay and extra staffing. Think its a viable option but would need guarantees from top riders and proper promoting. Wish people would take a look at the approach the Glasgow promotion have taken. Absolute credit to the sport

Understand what your saying, but which would you say is more likely ?

I'd guess that B would happen