British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Mildenhall V Coventry Storm Sunday 29th May

Official Buildbase Coventry Speedway Website

Home Latest News Fixtures/Statistics Club Admission Riders Corporate Fans History Gallery

MILDENHALL v STORM, PREVIEW

Friday May 27, 2016

COVENTRY Storm are back in action on Sunday as they visit Mildenhall in the Travel Plus National League (3.30pm).

The trip to West Row is one of the most popular of the season for supporters, and it is a venue where the City Gearboxes Storm have enjoyed some degree of success in recent years, with an away win in 2014 and other competitive displays ending with league points gained.

But they will still be without broken scaphoid victim Liam Carr, with the rider-replacement facility in operation, although Jamie Halder returns to the team at reserve after school exams caused him to miss the matches at Kent and Cradley.

The home side have experienced mixed fortunes early this season with injuries also having affected them but they are almost back at full strength for the fixture, missing only Luke Ruddick at reserve.

Jon Armstrong and Dan Halsey form a powerful spearhead on paper but in fact they have been upstaged so far by youngster Connor Mountain, who takes over the No.1 spot for the Fen Tigers.

Storm boss Laurence Rogers said: We know the likes of Jon and Dan are experts around there, but weve got to work on the ones we can get points off, as we did at Cradley.

Its good to have Jamie back after his exams but weve still got to use rider-replacement, which well keep at No.3 because I feel it worked there on Monday. Its another tough match, but getting something out of it is very do-able for us.

MILDENHALL (from): Jon Armstrong, Alfie Bowtell, Connor Coles, Daniel Halsey, Connor Mountain, Lee Springthorpe, Chris Widman.

CITY GEARBOXES STORM (from): Liam Carr R/R, Conor Dwyer, Dan Greenwood, Jamie Halder, Martin Knuckey, Ryan Terry-Daley, Callum Walker.

View Full Site

Comfortable win for the home team against what ended up to be a depleted Coventry team with Halder and Knuckley with with drawn from the meeting. Hopefully both riders, plus Liam Carr who had a practice after Berwick`s PL meeting last night, are back very soon, in-particular Knuckley who`s crash today sounded horrible reading the reports.

A couple of interesting photos of the track with a massive blue groove on the first bend

Jamie Halder has a suspected broken wrist while Martin Knuckley has suffered a compound fracture of his right leg, hopefully both riders will make full recoveries and be back asap.

COVENTRY Storm suffered two further injury setbacks on a disastrous Sunday afternoon at Mildenhall.

The City Gearboxes Storm went down to a 29-61 defeat in their latest Travel Plus National League fixture, but their main concern is over two more riders who are now on the sidelines.

Captain Martin Knuckey suffered a compound right leg fracture in a heavy first bend accident in Heat 7 when he tangled with the Fen Tigers’ Jon Armstrong.

The meeting was subject to a lengthy delay whilst Knuckey was attended to and then taken to Bury St Edmunds hospital for further treatment.

And then in Heat 10 reserve Jamie Halder came to grief when he suffered a snapped chain, having initially been holding home duo Alfie Bowtell and Connor Mountain at bay.

Halder managed to get up from the crash but has a suspected broken left wrist – making it three Storm riders out, with Liam Carr still missing from his accident at Brandon earlier in the month.

Not surprisingly, the Fen Tigers dominated against depleted opposition, with Dan Greenwood and Callum Walker battling hard for the Storm.

Greenwood picked up 12 points from six rides, whilst Walker scored a best-yet eight, winning Heat 2 and later taking the scalp of the more experienced Chris Widman from the back.

Storm manager Laurence Rogers said: “I don’t know how many black cats we’ve run over, but it must be a lot – we came here with six riders and went home with four.

“Martin has a compound fracture so that’s going to take a bit of getting back from, and it looks like a fractured wrist for Jamie so it’s not a good day at all.

“Our next meeting isn’t until June 10, so I’ve got ten days to try and patch up the side before that.

“It was a tremendous performance from Callum Walker, and also Jamie – the two reserves did us proud.”

MILDENHALL 61: Dan Halsey 15, Jon Armstrong 13+1, Connor Mountain 9+1, Alfie Bowtell 8+2, Connor Coles 8+2, Chris Widman 6, Lee Springthorpe 2+1.

CITY GEARBOXES STORM 29: Dan Greenwood 12, Callum Walker 8, Ryan Terry-Daley 4, Jamie Halder 3+1, Conor Dwyer 1+1, Martin Knuckey 1, Kyle Roberts (no.8) 0, Liam Carr r/r.

A couple of interesting photos of the track with a massive blue groove on the first bend

I think you might be referring to my photos on Twitter... Yes I took them as evidence! That track has certainly seen much better days. When Mildenhall were in the PL and King's Lynn visited, the track was never that bad and we actually saw some decent racing then... Hell, I even went down there as a neutral for a fixture when Rye House were the opposition and saw some good racing. That was when Steve Boxall was racing for you. Shows how long ago that was! Speedy recovery to both the injured Coventry riders, particularly Knuckey. Not good seeing him go airborne :(

I think you might be referring to my photos on Twitter... Yes I took them as evidence! That track has certainly seen much better days. When Mildenhall were in the PL and King's Lynn visited, the track was never that bad and we actually saw some decent racing then... Hell, I even went down there as a neutral for a fixture when Rye House were the opposition and saw some good racing. That was when Steve Boxall was racing for you. Shows how long ago that was! Speedy recovery to both the injured Coventry riders, particularly Knuckey. Not good seeing him go airborne :(

Yeah, must've been your Twit pics. Rye House gets blue grooves, but from those photos it looks like Rye after a 30 heat double header.

Yeah, must've been your Twit pics. Rye House gets blue grooves, but from those photos it looks like Rye after a 30 heat double header.

I would actually say that visiting Rye House, for me these days, is a far better experience than visiting Mildenhall! I was reminded today why I only visit once in a blue moon! Next time I go it will either be when Lynn are there or when there is far better opposition visiting. I had genuinely thought that it would be a much closer meeting today, but I got that very wrong :blink: