British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gresham

How Long Before....

The other sports mentioned have a significant worldwide tv audience. Speedway doesn't. Stand-alone GP riders is pie in the sky.

Given a few years I suspect that the Polish league will be unable to offer the kind of money the top boys currently enjoy, and it will be interesting to see how many can survive on GP income alone! I suspect full-time speedway riders may not be around at all in 20 years time.

Edited by Mike.Butler

Wouldn't have thought there's much more of a market than a couple of hundred engines a year.

With Ferrari it's probably also a vanity thing, and they have the brand that F1 sponsors want to be associated with.

Like I said, reputation. It's all part of the mystique.

I mentioned to a person that i was off to Wimborne Rd to watch Speedway racing. This person said 'Oh I didn't know that you were a biker!'

That's the perseption that 'joe public' has of the sport. He knows it's there but thinks that it's attended by Greasers.

BSPA need to have a good look at public relations.

"Greasers"? Blimey, where have you been for the last forty years? It's a long time since I was called that! I still ride to meetings, an older gentleman from Yorkshire does too, but we are in a minority.

• Like 1